Hello everyone. I have a quick question I'd like for someone to answer if they know the answer.

I am playing this song called "Wreck of the Ol 97" by Johnny Cash. Through the solo there are notes at the bottom of the neck then at the top also. Whenever I record it with my microphone on my computer, it makes the sound that it doesn't make whenever Luther's playing it. It is just the "slide" sound of your finger when you are moving up and down the neck and was just wondering how to minimize or not make that sound cause it doesn't sound smooth.

Heres the notes I'm talking about.

|----------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------7--10--|
|-7-7-8--10--10-10--7-3---5-7-8--8-8--8--------|

|-7--7-7-7-7---10-10-10--9-7--8/9/8/9/8/9------|

|--------------------------------------7--10---|
|--7-8--10--10-10--7-3---5-7-8--8-8--8---------|

|------------------------------------------|
|--7---------------------------------------|
|-----10--10-10--7-8----7-5-3--------------|

Thanks for your help!
Quote by McLeod
Flatwound strings will eliminate that noise

but most people don't like flatwound strings.
you just have to take your fingers off the string when you move them. it takes practice to do this quickly and effectively, but you'll get it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by Jackface20
A noise gate might help also

Noisegates are not the be all end all of noise solutions It won't filter that noise anyway. TS, is your fretboard dry? It's much more likely to happen with a dry fretboard than it is with a freshly cleaned and polished one.
It does it dry or moist. I cleaned it actually today before I made this post with that idea in mind after I got done mowing the yard to come in and play so it wouldn't get dirty. Still made that sound. I'm going to look at those flat wound strings that he was talking about because after all, that's what Luther used and thats the sound I'm aiming to get close to!

Thanks for all yalls help.
Quote by collateralyo
It does it dry or moist. I cleaned it actually today before I made this post with that idea in mind after I got done mowing the yard to come in and play so it wouldn't get dirty. Still made that sound. I'm going to look at those flat wound strings that he was talking about because after all, that's what Luther used and thats the sound I'm aiming to get close to!

Thanks for all yalls help.

aren't flatwounds strings a higher gauge than normal strings?
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fingerease-Guitar-String-Lubricant?sku=420450

Its called finger ease. Reduces "string talk". Still you must have whats called "technique" as well, but finger ease will help.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!