ok, this is a very hypocritical post of mine due to the fact i don't know much theory, especially chords, but why don't metal/rock guitarists use anything but power chords? guitarists like Hetfield and Alexi Laiho I'm sure know there theory so its not just lack of theory knowledge like punk making them use powerchords.

so why?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Powerchords sound awesome with distortion and they are easy to play fast.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
complex chords sound shtty with heavy distortion.

and power chords are easy
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Powerchords have balls.

Also, check out Opeth if powerchords in metal bore you. High gain strumming, anyone?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
You can't play most chords at Nile-like speeds, and Gods such as Laiho use more than just power chords. Plus they sound better with distortion, and are easy to move around.
Ever tried playing full chords with distortion up to 10? Muddy, and indistinct. Hence POWERCHORDS!
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
The perfect fifth interval, which is what comprises a power chord, is the main interval that stays consonant with high amounts of distortion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
why d'ya think its even called a POWERchord?
Quote by freddaahh
I do think it is a rather suspect sound of metal dildos and horses.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The perfect fifth interval, which is what comprises a power chord, is the main interval that stays consonant with high amounts of distortion.

ah, i was looking for a technical reason, thanks.

and i know Alexi Laiho does more than just power chords but when he rights rhythm sections it mainly is power chords, and just look at bodom beach terror. is there any chord other than power chords?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Distortion creates overtones that causes intervals that are less stable than 5ths and octaves to sound dissonant. Since metal guitarists use lots of distortion, it would sound like crap if they used anything else very often.

Overdrive creates more pleasant overtones, so guitarists who use overdrive instead of distortion have better results when using triads.
i think its mainly because its kind of angry music. minor chords arent angry theyre sad and major chords certainly arent angry. so that driving root and fith sound is used in metal alot because it is the angriest sounding chord, especially with distortion.

just read that back, horrible answer but itl do!
yeah distortion screws up anything than 4ths, 5ths, or octaves.

= powerchord
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by Grouch
i think its mainly because its kind of angry music. minor chords arent angry theyre sad and major chords certainly arent angry. so that driving root and fith sound is used in metal alot because it is the angriest sounding chord, especially with distortion.

Minor chords can sound pretty dark and creepy if used in the right context.

Play an Em chord followed by a riff in Am and tell me if that sounds sad to you.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
It gives the chord more power.

Hence the term POWERchord.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Quote by carrotcake
It gives the chord more power.

Hence the term POWERchord.

Actually due to having less notes they're actually less "powerful".

Powerchords are popular because they sound good with distortion and also because they have a neutral tonality that makes them easy to solo over.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Grouch

Power chords don't have a feel on their own. They only take on a feel in context. Because it's a perfect interval, it has very little to it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.