I know, I know, the MG30DFX is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD amp, but I've went and got it now, so since i have it regardless of what you all have to say, I need some help with it.

I'm playing "classic metal" such as MetallicA with this amp and not getting the sound i need, I'd appreciate it if you could comment like

Gain -
Bass -
Contour -
Treble -

Thanks in advance

Ultimate Settings Thread mate
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Gain around 6 or 7, Bass at 5ish, Contour at about 2 or 3 and treble at 4 or so.

Don't expect miracles, or indeed anything remotely good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
10 treble , 10 bass , 0 contour,

Its gonna be so Br00t4lz, I dont understand u dont love the CRUSHING overdrive.

Comon the mg is so SLAMMING.

Seriousl try High Treble, Mid bass , low contour for a new metal sound and high contour for a new metal ( ex: metalcore
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Bass - 3 o clock
Mid/contour - 10 o clock
Treble - 1/2 o clock.

Adjust gain to your liking.
Quote by Hcmanu

Seriousl try High Treble, Mid bass , low contour for a new metal sound and high contour for a new metal ( ex: metalcore

thats pretty much the same as i use if i aint using my pedals
gain 10, bass 10, contour 3, treble 8
The EQ range of MGs is pretty weak. Remember the contour is the inverse of the mids knob when using it. I found my MG worked "best" when turned to 10, because there limited EQ range leaves you very little range for tone shaping.
Throw it out your window. That should sound pretty br00talz.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
Throw it out your window. That should sound pretty br00talz.

but then he would have to buy a new amp AND a new window.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
ur better off getting a dist. pedal on the clean channel of that amp.....

so what i'm really trying to say is: trash it, get a REAL amp. that thing will only cause you headache and make you assume Marshall only makes garbage.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I use an mg 30 for practicing at home, I use a boss mt-2 metalzone pedal with all the settings flat (12 o'clock) appart fom the distortion I have this virtually off! my amp settings are

Gain - 2 o'clock
Bass - 5 o'clock
contour - 10 o'clock
treble - 4 o'clock

also the quality of pickups will help get a good sound I use EMG actives in my guitars so you could also try EMG actives or seymour duncan Livewires
White Les Paul Custom with EMG Actives
Black ESP Explorer With EMG Actives
Quote by kenny EMG
I use an mg 30 for practicing at home, I use a boss mt-2 metalzone pedal with all the settings flat (12 o'clock) appart fom the distortion I have this virtually off! my amp settings are

Gain - 2 o'clock
Bass - 5 o'clock
contour - 10 o'clock
treble - 4 o'clock

also the quality of pickups will help get a good sound I use EMG actives in my guitars so you could also try EMG actives or seymour duncan Livewires

it was all going so well

active pickups wont do anything for the sound with a crap amp.

mid scoop, easy on the gain.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by colin617
volume on 0.

+infinity
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
they had one in a studio i used what a disgusting tone it has. has jim marshall gone deaf? you are better off with a line 6 which is saying something
Quote by tuwyci
they had one in a studio i used what a disgusting tone it has. has jim marshall gone deaf? you are better off with a line 6 spider III which is saying something

isn't Jim Marshall liek 94 years old? He probably has gone deaf, but i don't think he's actually been designing the amps for quite a while. I know he had nothing to do with the development of the MG and AVT series, as he doesn't really control the brand anymore, they just disrespectfully stick his name on crap products.

Also, fixed, as line 6 only have 5 crap products that i'm aware of. The Spider I, the Spider II, Spider III, Micro Spider, and the Spider Jam.

EDIT: Oh crap... the word Spider now looks weird after reading it so much...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
treble 2
bass 8
gain 5-7

don't crank the treble your tone will get thinner then it already is.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Hcmanu

You know that means full mids?
guys you gota stop the MG flaming i mean i know there pretty crap, but there is worse out there. And half the people on here will flame it if theve played it or not.

Anyway to TS my mates got a MG, and he hasnt got the money to go tube, but he did buy a metal muff and uses it on the clean channel. And he gets pretty decent tones, not amazing, but decent. Although it does sound more peavey like, as it quite a tight type of gain. Anyway hope that helped. And UGers dont flame me, im not saying MGs are good just saying try them, then judge. And obviously cubes are better, but theres worse
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by Varkunus
guys you gota stop the MG flaming i mean i know there pretty crap, but there is worse out there. And half the people on here will flame it if theve played it or not.

Anyway to TS my mates got a MG, and he hasnt got the money to go tube, but he did buy a metal muff and uses it on the clean channel. And he gets pretty decent tones, not amazing, but decent. Although it does sound more peavey like, as it quite a tight type of gain. Anyway hope that helped. And UGers dont flame me, im not saying MGs are good just saying try them, then judge. And obviously cubes are better, but theres worse

MGs are all over the place. I'd be surprised if anyone on here hasn't tried one at some point, because sadly, pretty much everywhere stocks whole bucnhes of them because they sell so damn fast.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
oh well I thought for a quick and easy practice tone my suggestion was pretty good
White Les Paul Custom with EMG Actives
Black ESP Explorer With EMG Actives
Quote by ugmung
but then he would have to buy a new amp AND a new window.

Welcome to openingthewindowbeforeyoutossshitoutofit.com
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Something troubles me so much about this very quote:
I know, I know, the MG30DFX is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD amp, but I've went and got it now,

EDIT: No, let me rephrase that:
but I've went and got it now,

Again:

Correction: This is not a grammar issue. Pay attention that he knows that the amplifier sucks, still he bought it.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Last edited by perkristian876 at May 19, 2008,
+1 on set it for clean and put a decent distortion pedal in front of it. It wasn't great but it was what it was. Good luck.
Something troubles me so much about this very quote:
Quote:
I know, I know, the MG30DFX is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD amp, but I've went and got it now,

EDIT: No, let me rephrase that:
Quote:

Again:
Quote:

hahaha - Perhaps at least if he'd have said "but i've been and bought it now" or even "but i've been and got it now" he could have saved face from the grammar nazis.

But on a more serious note check the ultimate settings thread and read the bit about the contour function to adapt the settings.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
hahaha - Perhaps at least if he'd have said "but i've been and bought it now" or even "but i've been and got it now" he could have saved face from the grammar nazis.

But on a more serious note check the ultimate settings thread and read the bit about the contour function to adapt the settings.

LOL; you think i said that for the grammar?

He seems to KNOW that it sucks! Still, he goes actually bought it!
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by perkristian876
LOL; you think i said that for the grammar?

He seems to KNOW that it sucks! Still, he goes actually bought it!

HeHe I study English Literature these things bug me!

Maybe he just wanted that logo on the front and disregarded the tone?

Maybe he couldn't hear the poor tone at the time?

Regardless of the above we should really help, Ultimate Settings thread and experimentation is a sure fire bet.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S