Page 1 of 2
Before we begin, let me make clear that I'm not in the market or anything. I just want to get the skinny on these basses.

I see a lot of good reviews for them. Of course, that's always to be taken with a shaker of salt.

They seem to be a mainly low-end brand. Looks like pretty good starter basses and stuff, plus some decent-looking P-Bass copies and what have you.

So I'm just curious. Anybody have an ESP? Played one? What's what with these basses?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Well, you're probably looking at their LTD range, the budget range.

To be honest, I can't really comment on either, as I've never played, nor have ever been interested in playing them.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
So, what's the deal with cancer?

At any rate... yeah... I just kind of wanted to say that, but I'm on the same page as Nutter. I can't really form an opinion I've never played or wanted to even look at.
So what's the deal with airline food?

ESP basses have never screamed "professional quality" when I've tried them. To me, they seem like the kind of company that makes guitars, and ohcrapweshouldmakebasses-basses. But then, that's me. There are people who swear by the T-bird, so I'm sure there are ESP and LTD lovers.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Im pretty sure Victor Wootens bassist (yes, he does have a bassist, his first name is Anthony I think) uses an LTD.
1) Why would Victor Wooten have a bassist. He's a bassist.
2) I would really doubt Victor Wooten would associate with someone using an LTD, for two reasons:
i) The style is all wrong.
ii) They're far too cheap.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
2) I would really doubt Victor Wooten would associate with someone using an LTD, for two reasons:

1) Ask Victor Wooten. I saw them both at a master class and then a concert. Maybe the way he plays, he feels the "role" of the bass isnt being covered. I dont know, but I do know for a fact that he has a bassist named Anthony that he plays with on stage.

2)I said I was pretty sure. Im only judging off the body, but I wasnt close enough to read the head-stock. It may not be an LTD, but Im relatively certain it was.

EDIT: His name is Anthony Wellington, and hes even credited on Palmystery on bass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmystery
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Apr 19, 2008,
i have an ESP LTD F104
i bought it last summer. i think it's a good bass for the price (300 dollars)
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by Crazy Horse
i have an ESP LTD F104
i baught it last summer is now the only bass i really use (i got a ibanez 5 string that i bought in crappy condition and a fender squier p-bass)

it has great string tension. not too much so that ur fingers hurt but enough so the strings do feel so floppy.

it has a great tone that can change from follow to full bass tone. I am satisfied with my perchase.

String tension is only a function of string gage, what tuning you're using and scale length.
Quote by smb
String tension is only a function of string gage, what tuning you're using and scale length.

ya..i thought of that after i sent the message so i editted it.
I also started on an LTD F-104. For the price, it's a great bass. It's one of the only basses in its price range that come with a 35" scale. I love the feel of it, it feels just as nice to play as my schecter. I just wish it had better electronics/pickups. I strung it up with Power Slinkys once, can you say string tension? It also bowed my neck to the point of no return. But when I originally got it, the action was much better than that of my schecter, even after a setup. It was practically laying on the fretboard with no buzz at all. Their higher end basses only get better. I have nothing but good to say about them (for their price, that is). If you're willing to pay over $1,000-1500 for a bass the same quality as an ESP for $800, the more power to you, but for the price I believe ESP and Schecter lead the market in quality (especially for those of us that like metal).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

my b-105 cost me $700 au +postage and i got it onsale from a store in Victoria (i live in NSW) if i got it around here i woulda payed $900 for the 4 string model and $1200 for the 5 i got (oh the joys of living on the north shore and not being in a family with more money than brains that will pay anything for anything). Considering its position in quality to its counterparts it plays amazingly.

although i am soon to build a far better bass for myself using much better woods and better hardware and electronics.
I am me. Live with it.
I recently got a LTD B-206FM and I can't be happier with it. The guy who set it up loved it so much, he's ordering his own in.
Great feel and tone for the price range. I see it working for a variety of styles.
So what's the deal with Ovaltine?

Gotta love the Seinfeld references going on here.

Anyway, I've only played an ESP Viper (the SG-copy), and it was decent, but I didn't think it warranted an $800 pricetag.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

I am fairly sure Anthony is Victor's brother. If you search on youtube a bit, you can find that they do quite a bit of "dueling basses" sort of thing. Victor seems even more talented when you see him play with his brother.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Pink Muse
To me, they seem like the kind of company that makes guitars, and ohcrapweshouldmakebasses-basses.

I totally agree. I love ESP (and ESP/LTD) guitars but their basses are kinda meh.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by kranoscorp
I am fairly sure Anthony is Victor's brother. If you search on youtube a bit, you can find that they do quite a bit of "dueling basses" sort of thing. Victor seems even more talented when you see him play with his brother.

Naw, your thinking of Regi Wooten, who plays guitar. Also, like no other. (That guitar thumping crap on youtube does no service to him.) Anthonys not his brother, but he IS extremely good.
I play an LTD - MD500... I dunno I guess it's one of the higher end LTD"s because it reails for over a grand I think... (Somwhere around there though)
Anyways, it's a nice bass, I can get any tone I want out of it and there's only a slight wiring problem with it (but thats to be expected from used products... right?)

It's really the only LTD/ESP I've liked though. I know a dude who recently picked up some of the ESP P-bass copies from the ORIGIONAL import that sound amazing (he won't let me touch them).

Other than that... ESP/LTD IMO is crap in the bass dept.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I have played the ESP Vintage 4 (P-Bass). Was really quite a good Bass. Check it out if possible.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Esp's/Ltd's make some seriously good stuff in their higher end ranges. Although it's a shame they don't have some more options.

LOL @ everyone who says ESP is a 'low-end' brand.

ANd jazzy, vic does have another bassist, check youtube vids
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Has anyone else actually played a higher end ESP? I played a "Vintage" bass and it sounded fantastic. The Surveyors are also nice basses.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Forcemaster
Esp's/Ltd's make some seriously good stuff in their higher end ranges. Although it's a shame they don't have some more options.

LOL @ everyone who says ESP is a 'low-end' brand.

ANd jazzy, vic does have another bassist, check youtube vids

Ah, making uneducated opinions and then getting shot down. This must be how everyone else feels when I'm around. But seriously, interesting.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Ah, making uneducated opinions and then getting shot down. This must be how everyone else feels when I'm around. But seriously, interesting.

Happens to the best of us
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Hm, I loved the way the LTD B-4E felt, didn't play it plugged in though, don't know about the sound. And the thing is a beauty ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
i recently got and ESP/LDT B-5E for $600 and its awesome you can get many different tones out of it. IMO its a great bass and i also have an LTD guitar and they work perfectly for me
I have an ESP ltd d-4 and I absolutely love it, its got active pups, very comfortable, and is versatile
Well, I pretty much hate active pickups and death metal, which is about all ESP's are good for. Actually, they pretty much suck all around. I have actually never played their basses, but I hate their guitars so much I don't want to play one of their basses.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Armagedn
Well, I pretty much hate active pickups and death metal, which is about all ESP's are good for. Actually, they pretty much suck all around. I have actually never played their basses, but I hate their guitars so much I don't want to play one of their basses.

=( I love their guitars...
But they're MADE for that balls to the walls type of music. I guess you havn't played a nice ESP/LTD yet if you say you don't like them unless you're trying to play.. well something thats not shredalicious)
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by indie-bassist
Has anyone else actually played a higher end ESP? I played a "Vintage" bass and it sounded fantastic. The Surveyors are also nice basses.

I would be interested in playing some of the higher end ones. I've only played the low to mid range ESPs, and frankly, I wasn't exactly impressed. Didn't like the overall playability or the feel. They felt quite cheap.
^ Most ESP stuff is like that in my experience..it only gets really good with the higher end stuff.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 20, 2008,
I think people mistake ESP with LTD (ESP does own LTD though), LTD stands for Limited. It would be like saying Fender sucks because I played a Squire one time and didn't like it......I myself enjoy my LTD and it's only a 200....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ive been wanting to try one forever, but my local shop only carries ESP/Ltd guitars and not basses for some reason...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Armagedn

Yeah, Ron Wood uses them in his death metal band, The Rolling Stones, they're pretty hardcore.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Well, glad to see I've sparked some decent discussion here.
Quote by silentdob
Ive been wanting to try one forever, but my local shop only carries ESP/Ltd guitars and not basses for some reason...

If it's a smaller shop, then that's definitely to be expected. I'm from a pretty big city, so the guitar shops there have a pretty even selection of acoustics/electrics/basses. But where I go to college is in a tiny town, and there are a total of two music shops. They both have AWFUL bass selections. For instance, the one I frequent has a pretty good selection of guitar strings. They ONLY carry GHS bass strings. Gag.

So yeah. Everybody wants to be the guitarist. Which means we are better people.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

So what's the deal with lamp shades, huh? I mean, if you need a lamp, why would you want shade?

Anything but higher end ltds are pretty much crap. ESPs are very expensive, great quality instruments. Come on people. Do some homework. I mean, did you even bother to look at their website before making this?
Quote by Bumper
Anything but higher end ltds are pretty much crap. ESPs are very expensive, great quality instruments. Come on people. Do some homework. I mean, did you even bother to look at their website before making this?

The problem is there are many low end LTD and ESP's out there sooz
Quote by Banjocal
Quote by Bumper

Yeah. I did. I was considering the LTDs as part of the ESP line. Like an Ibanez Soundgear. Which, it is. But I guess as far as quality, as somebody said earlier, that's kind of like saying Squier is part of Fender. An honest mistake on my part.

Not that it matters, because, as is stated, the point of this thread is to get real feedback from any friends of mine in the bass forum have personally played the instruments.

I mean, did you even bother to look at the original post before posting your reply?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

i have a ESP B405 and a swear by it! i have no complaints and it is evrything i ever want in a bass. i would NEVER say that ESPs only make cheep basses because 1. my bass costs almost a grand. and 2. it plays like it costs a grand

the 405 can cover anything from pop to jazz to hard rock/metal well. i can get bolth dark and bright sounds out of the active EQ and active pickups.

also the B is comfterbly tight wich im very happy about!

i chose this bass over the ibanez SR700 series so you can get where i come from on the quality.

really the only way to get a good idea is to play it yourself and get recordings of the bass being played.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Page 1 of 2