Whats The Difference?

is it basically just the price?
Last edited by Felgate at Apr 19, 2008,
^ Quality, build materials and finish.

Even then though Gibson Les Pauls are way overpriced.

If you can afford a Gibson go ahead but if not don't waste your money on one. The Epiphone Elitist series are great guitars and really good for the price.

They're better than the standard Epi's and can be up to par with a few lower end Gibby's but they don't cost as much.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Apr 19, 2008,
Depends what ones you go for AFAIK.

High end Epiphone > Low end Gibson
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i played one today (epi standard) and i REALLY liked it, the guy in the shop even called me slash wich i got a bit exited over cause hes my guitar hero!

but im left handed and i dont see many left handed les pauls around
and the guy in the shop said theres not alot of money left in gibson,
so reallly, it would be best to go for an epi and not a gibson?
gibsons are better, anyone that says otherwise is talking out their arse

but, try the guitars, if you like a guitar then thats all that matters, try a gibson, if you think the extra money is worth it go for it, otherwise get the epiphone

if you like the epiphone just buy it, but dont be afraid to try out gibsons + epiphone elitist
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Id say go with a high-end Epiphone.
Gibson's are better, however the extreme price increase doesnt justify the extra features.
go for the epi
both gibson and epi have been hit and miss as of recent and Epi's have a life long limited warranty so if there's something wrong with it, you can easily have it replaced
do you have a particular budget? cause if you have enough go for the higher end ones, I have two quality standards (one a les paul and the other an SG g-400, which is basically epi's standard SG.) They've been kickin' for a good three years.
well tbh i LOVE the epiphone
where i live not many people stock les pauls, infact, no one does, so i have to order it in which is gunna cost more money, and the fact im left handed, these things are a bit hard to get hold of i guess?
like i said, iv not seen many at al!
infact, iv seen one, the one i played on today!

i thinks im gunna order the epi standard, hey im only 15, iv got plenty of time to get my gibson les paul custom/studio?

tbf, i was quite literally blown away today by the sound of it!
ima gunna get the Epi
the major difference are the pickups i think, and the pickups can always be replaced on an epiphone or any gutiar
Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ Quality, build materials and finish.

Ooh, I dunno. Gibson have made quality cuts lately to their builds, where as Epiphones just keep improving over time.
Like others have said, they're hit and miss, both of them.

Gibson
Made in USA
Quality Mohogany Wood
Takes Half a Year to produce
Hand-Finished

Epiphone
Made in China, or Korea, can't remember
Not as good, but still quality wood
Not sure, but i think they take less time to produce

I could be mistaken, but i've learned all of this from these forums, so...
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Like others have said, they're hit and miss, both of them.

Gibson
Made in USA
Quality Mohogany Wood
Takes Half a Year to produce
Hand-Finished

Epiphone
Made in China, or Korea, can't remember
Not as good, but still quality wood
Not sure, but i think they take less time to produce

I could be mistaken, but i've learned all of this from these forums, so...
Some of this is right, some is wrong.

Some Epi's are made in Japan - and the Elitist series are made in Japan using American-made parts, and then checked-over in America. Why they bother shipping it all over to Japan, only to ship it back for quality control, I have no idea...

Gibson Custom Shop models take five to six months to finish completely; production models (i.e. anything which doesn't have 'Custom Shop' on it) take under three months, specific time depending on the model.

Also, not all of the Gibsons uses 'quality' mahogany. Many use low-grade mahogany. Basically the cheap Gibsons like Studios, Specials, Fadeds and so on, are cheap mostly because their body wood is much cheaper.

Other Epi/Gibson differences are:
- Neck profiles. Gibsons have three neck profiles to choose from, Epiphone only ever uses the same one neck profile.
- Headstock angle. Gibson's headstock sits at a steeper angle than Epi's.
- Headstock mass. Epi's headstocks have a little more wood and weight in them. This is actually arguably better.
- Finish. Gibsons use a thin nitro lacquer finish, which gives a brighter sound. Epiphone uses a thicker poly plastic finish, that gives a darker sound. The thin Gibson finish is also more prone to scratches, dents, and fades quicker (or alternatively, the Epi is more resilient and doesn't faded so fast, whichever way you prefer to think of it).
- Electronics, wiring and pickups. This is obvious, I don't think I should have to explain that there are differences here.
- Woods. Older Epiphones used 'incorrect' woods, often mixing mahogany with alder. Newer (made within the last two years) Epis all use the 'correct' woods though (typically full mahogany).
- Hardware (bridges, tuners, etc). Epiphones is typically a cheaper metal alloy, taken with a lower quality cast. That said, low-end Gibsons share the same hardware as the mid-range Epiphones.
- Nut. Epi uses a plastic nut, Gibson use bone.
- Resale value. Gibsons hold their value more than an Epi. You can resell a Gibson at about 2/3 to 3/4 of it's original price; with Epi, you're lucky to get just half of your money back.

I should point out, of course there are exceptions to these; both brands have made various Limited Edition models, and there is some overlap; generally, the low-end Gibsons (Studio, Special, Faded, Vintage Mahogany, etc) match the mid-range Epiphones (Standard Plus, Custom, 400D, etc).

Also, there's four more aspects to consider: Epiphone Elitist, Epiphone Custom Shop, Gibson Custom Shop, and archtops.

- Epiphone Elitists are better than production Gibsons. Period, end of, simple as, no arguing. The finishes may not be to your personal taste, or you might prefer a different kind of neck, but from a technical point of view, the Elitist Epiphones are superior to production Gibsons in every single way. This is reflected by the fact that in many countries, Epi Elitists actually cost the same as, if not more than, Gibson models.
- Epiphone Custom Shop. How many of you even knew this existed? It's very rare to see them come out with anything, but they do on occasion. Pre-1982 they made quite a lot of models, but now they make ****-all. The quality though, if you can find one, is a little better than the Elitist range; and just a tad below the Gibson Custom Shop. The prices reflect this though, and since they're so rare, Epi Custom Shop models often cost more than the Gibson Custom Shop. You should note that many of the signature guitars Epi has made (such as the new Slash signature) are advertised as being from the Epi Custom Shop, but actually aren't. also, no, the Epi Custom Shop has never taken actual custom orders from the public.
- Gibson Custom Shop. These are the best of the best; even better than the Epiphone Elitists. With one exception...
- Archtop guitars. Epiphone has always been the world leader in archtops. Before Gibson bought them, Epiphone were beating Gibson in the archtop market; even today, the most respected, sought-after and expensive archtops are Epiphones. Of course, this doesn't mean that every Epi archtop beats every Gibson archtop; a £200 Epi Dot studio doesn't beat a Gibson 335. It does come very close though (look it up on YouTube - there's a comparison video on there of the two directly next to each other; the difference really is tiny), and the top Epi archtops beat the living crap out of the top Gibson archtops.
Quote by Moe.
Ooh, I dunno. Gibson have made quality cuts lately to their builds, where as Epiphones just keep improving over time.

Yeah and I completely agree with you which is why I said Gibsons are still overpriced bit. Though I guess I didn't go into much detail with that.

However even with the cuts of quality on Gibson's part and Epiphone's improvements, Gibson will still have better parts and manufacturing. Not $2500 worth of extra parts but it's a Gibson for a reason and in the end with bad QC and raised prices it's still gonna be better than a standard Epiphone. Of course this only applies to the standards and lower, not the Elitists models.

Of course with the trend you explained I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson went completely down the drain in a few years and the high end Epiphones took over.

The Elitist LP's are supposed to have long neck tenons, a non chambered body (not sure about this but I think I heard they were solid on MLP, unlike the chambered Gibsons) and other various advantages over some of the Gibsons today.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah and I completely agree with you which is why I said Gibsons are still overpriced bit. Though I guess I didn't go into much detail with that.

However even with the cuts of quality on Gibson's part and Epiphone's improvements, Gibson will still have better parts and manufacturing. Not $2500 worth of extra parts but it's a Gibson for a reason and in the end with bad QC and raised prices it's still gonna be better than a standard Epiphone.

Haha, that 2500 extra dollars of parts is nothing but better hardware, a bit better wood, and better pick ups. That may only add to a grand extra, with the other $1500 being the price for the Gibson name and the American manufacturing.
If you ask me, a high end Epiphone with a pick up swap and a good setup is a lot better than a Gibson considering the price difference.
Quote by Moe.
Haha, that 2500 extra dollars of parts is nothing but better hardware, a bit better wood, and better pick ups. That may only add to a grand extra, with the other $1500 being the price for the Gibson name and the American manufacturing.
If you ask me, a high end Epiphone with a pick up swap and a good setup is a lot better than a Gibson considering the price difference.

Well i'd whole heartedly agree.

Though it's not worth the price even you said it' got better parts, which is why I said the Gibson is better. However your right alot of that money goes into the headstock. You'd think that Gibson logo were diamond crested or something.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well i'd whole heartedly agree.

Though it's not worth the price even you said it' got better parts.

Too true.
Quote by Moe.

Moe, I just keep agreeing with you again and again...

Blackedit: What's really funny is gibbo doesn't even use real MOP any more, they use pearloid. I mean really, WTF is this shit?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
Moe, I just keep agreeing with you again and again...

Hehe.
Has anyone happened to have tried an Epiphone Prophecy yet?
^I didn't know they were out as of yet. Though I really want to try some of these new Epi's. It's not really my taste but the guitar looks great.

BTW on the thread topic, this might be of interest.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/8669-gibson-les-paul-quality-am-i-just-picky.html

Mostely Just The Price Tag
But High End Gibs Are Too Expensive
Wheras High End Epi's Are Good Value
Gibs Are Of Very Good Quality But Your Mostely Just Paying For The Name
Which I Have To Admit Look's Pretty But Not Worth Pay'in For
But All In All Epi's Are The Way Forward!!!
I think if Epi started using full maple caps instead of veneers, they would easily out sell gibson.
IMO, ESP/Ibanez/Jackson are in general better. But in truth, nothing beats a good Les Paul or SG. Keyword being good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had an Epiphone LP Custom for a month. Bought it brand new. I got it home and ALL the volume and tone controlls were lose, The jack was lose, The D tuning peg kept making a loud click then it would tune way high or low. When I re-strung it I noticed ALL the nuts that hold the tuners in the headstock were not even finger tight. There were weird marks, paint over spray and smudges on the binding, A FINGERPRINT in the paint, Marks in the wood from before it was painted. The gold started to wear off the hardware after maybe 4 hours of playing, The pickups sounded so bad it was like having a pillow over my amp... need I go on?

I also heard the USA made Gibsons are going downhill on quality. If you have the money check out some stuff on the "Epiphone elitist" series. they're really nice guitars made in japan. Alot of the time you see artsts playing Epiphones these are the ones they have. The headstock is a little different shape.

Also. My Gibson that was made about 4 years ago is awesome. I haven't played any Gibsons newer than that.
Quote by Felgate
Whats The Difference?

is it basically just the price?

Body:
Gibson - Solid slab of Mahogany/Chambered, but still one piece, Maple top, no squirrel used in construction
Epi: Laminated Mahogany, Maybe Maple top if you find a good one... Maybe one squirrel used

Pickups:
Gibson: Properly made, actually went near a quality magnet some-time in its' life, worst they get is Alnico II, coils made using the hair of virgin maids
Epi: Very iffy quality - higher end stuff can be nice, and their averages are worth staying with, but stay away from anything less than £200/$400... No virgin maids used in winding
hadstock
Gibson: Decent shape, says 'Gibson'
Epi: Slightly weird shape, says 'Epiphone'
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United