After about 5 years of playing bass I'm looking to upgrade my Squier P-Bass for a 5 string bass. My current band plays a sort of funk, rnb, rock, dance sort of thing but I also like toplay metal at home, so really I need something that can cover several tonal bases. I was thinking of either a Warwick rockbass, a Spector or a Fender mexican (either P-Bass or jazz). Anyone have any advice or warnings? Stuff like active/passive pickups and number of frets doesn't really bother me.
OUT OF ORDER
my bassist has a spector and it's one of the best basses i've played.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Jazz 5 wut?

Seriously though, with something that eclectic, you'll want a bass that can handle many genres, and the Jazz does them all really well. For ultimate flexibility, I'd say find yourself a Jazz 24-fret 5. I don't think it'd be hard at all to find them. If you can get over the look, you'll have one of the best basses for you. And if the look is all that matters, tsk tsk.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-V-5-String-Bass-Guitar-511893-i1173375.gc
Jazz 24 5
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
5 String Jazz's feel and look weird to me, they should stick to 4 stringers

I'm gonna recommend a couple of real hidden gems

Firstly Cort B5
Look at an Ibanez SR505 and you'll find the cort is pretty much identical however i'd take the cort over the ibanez for it's looks

Secondly a Washburn 2500
Possibly the bargain of the century if you buy second hand, an extremely well made bass that looks sorta like an Ibanez ATK but plays and sounds like a Musicman Stingray. They retailed new for the same as a American P Bass (around AU$1800) yet i picked mine up for $400 in mint condition 2nd hand
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I have a Spector Legend Classic 5 and I love it.
Ride it like ya stole it.
personally, I think Yamaha makes great 5+ stringed instruments, but thats purely taste.

What you need to do is mosey on down to the nearest music store and try out different 5 strings, see what you like about each, and what you do not like.

Maybe active / passive electronics could be your thing, or different pickup configurations. Again, the only way you would know is to try and then decide.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I don't know if this is a problem for you, but every 5 string Fender I have played has had a very wide neck. I am a huge fan of the Jazz 24, but couldn't ever get a five string version of it for that reason.
I have 2 spector 5 strings... one JH5US and a NS5CRFM. Most amazing basses i ve played ever. Recordinh sound is unreal too. Next in line would definately be a warwick thumb bass.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by moffshiggits
I don't know if this is a problem for you, but every 5 string Fender I have played has had a very wide neck. I am a huge fan of the Jazz 24, but couldn't ever get a five string version of it for that reason.

That is actually on the list for my next 5er, the Jazz V 24. I tried the Ibanez 5ers and found the string spacing a bit too close.
Quote by anarkee
That is actually on the list for my next 5er, the Jazz V 24. I tried the Ibanez 5ers and found the string spacing a bit too close.

See now, I'm just the opposite. I loved the string spacing on the Ibanez and couldn't stand how wide the neck was on a Squier active 5 I played.

Also, wouldn't that be like putting a Ferrari motor in a lawnmower, an active, 5-string Squire?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
See now, I'm just the opposite. I loved the string spacing on the Ibanez and couldn't stand how wide the neck was on a Squier active 5 I played.

Same with me. I think if they're going to put a neck that big on a bass, they should at least throw in an extra string and make it 6.
It is all matter of opinion and what feels right. You have go play and figure out what spacing and neck size works for you.
Quote by scawti
It is all matter of opinion and what feels right. You have go play and
figure out what spacing and neck size works for you.

Very true! I was really glad I tried a boatload of 5ers though before I came a conclusion. After all was said and done, I really liked the Jazz V 24. I completely baffled the sales guys tho'; they would look at my hands (small) and hand me Spectors, Ibanezes and Yamahas and I kept on going back to those big ol' Fenders.
Well, I think I am too picky to be honest. The Ibanezes I have played are too deep tone-wise for me, the Fenders I have played have a neck that is too big for me. Unfortunately, the Guitar Center by me carries pretty much only Fender, Schecter (I don't want another Schecter - great instruments but I want something different), and Ibanez. I really wish I could try out the Yamaha's and Spector's.
Laguna TB75 Ocean

2 active pickups + passive setting

does pretty well for me.
Proud owner of a LAGUNA OCEAN TB-75
just want to throw out a recommendation for the Ibanez SR405QM

Love the neck

Love the tone

Love the Ibanez