I have about a 10 year old MIM Strat and it doesnt stay in tune at all. Could that be do to the bridge(it has a tremelo) or the tuners??? Any suggested fixes
Last edited by Mr.Mattyy at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by Mr.Mattyy
I have about a 10 year old MIM Strat and it doesnt stay in tune at all. Could that be do to the bridge(it has a tremelo) or the tuners??? Any suggested fixes

Do you use the whammy heavily? That trem isn't designed for heavy usage. Or is it going out of tune just through normal playing and little or none whammy use? It could be the way you are stringing the guitar. If its just going out of tune, I would look at locking tuners, perhaps an LSR Roller Nut, and maybe a new bridge. But it'll be really pricey. So maybe just go with some locking tuners.

EDIT: Or maybe one of those Fender Trem Setters thingys.
Be cool.
I never use the tremelo, I actually lost the bar...where can you buy those locking tuners?
take it to a shop and explain your problem.

as the strat is one of the most played guitars in the world...im sure they would know.

obvioulsy its something to do with the trem, and maybe the tuners, but there are loads of contributing factors, which keeps a guitar in tune.
Put some pencil in between the string spaces on the nut, don't abuse the trem and put on some new strings.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
You need new tuners.
Most instrument stores stock them.
or you could get them off ebay.
or you could get them off an online store. (www.zzounds.com)
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I THINK that most fenders come stock with gotoh-style tuners. If' I'm wrong, please correct me. If you want to replace the trem, go for the super-vee. it's double locking and requires no mods (other than a nut/trem replacement). But if you want to keep most everything stock, go for the locking tuners, and the graphite on the nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.