Hello all,

I am just a beginner guitarist, I have an Epi Les Paul. Today, my friend gave me a Squier Affinity Strat. However, almost all the strings are touching the frets. I believe that is due to a badly adjusted truss rod.

I have a set of hex keys, but I cannot figure out which one to use... Can anyone tell me what the size of the socket is?

Thanks,

Thel
No man, it is worse than that- I've done all I can do at the action, all the strings are raised as high as they can go.
If you sight down the length of neck and it has an outward bow (toward the strings, that is) you need to add a little tension. If it bows away from the strings, you need to relieve some tension, so loosen it slightly. If the neck is straight, don't touch the rod. Do all adjustments an eighth of a turn or less at a time, and always re-tune and recheck the the bow of the neck in between. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting it, take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Quote by GC Shred Off
If you sight down the length of neck and it has an outward bow (toward the strings, that is) you need to add a little tension. If it bows away from the strings, you need to relieve some tension, so loosen it slightly. If the neck is straight, don't touch the rod. Do all adjustments an eighth of a turn or less at a time, and always re-tune and recheck the the bow of the neck in between. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting it, take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Uhh correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe you have it backwards. If his neck has an upwards bow towards the strings his truss rod is too tight (more tension in the rod then strings) so he would have to loosen the truss rod. If he looks down the side of the neck and sees the opposite, a hump away from the strings then his truss rod is too loose and the strings and pulling the neck causing it to look like Robin Hoods bow so he should be tightening the truss rod. Which direction is which you ask? Just like you learned in school. Righty tighty. Lefty loosey
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Uhh correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe you have it backwards. If his neck has an upwards bow towards the strings his truss rod is too tight (more tension in the rod then strings) so he would have to loosen the truss rod. If he looks down the side of the neck and sees the opposite, a hump away from the strings then his truss rod is too loose and the strings and pulling the neck causing it to look like Robin Hoods bow so he should be tightening the truss rod. Which direction is which you ask? Just like you learned in school. Righty tighty. Lefty loosey

I think we're arguing the same thing, I just didnt' explain clearly enough. When I said "bowing toward the strings" I meant that the headstock was being pulled out toward the strings, making the action too high (like Robin Hood) and requiring more tension in the rod. Thank you for clarifying that for the sake of the TS.

Here is a diagram of how a truss rod works.

Quote by GC Shred Off
I think we're arguing the same thing, I just didnt' explain clearly enough. When I said "bowing toward the strings" I meant that the headstock was being pulled out toward the strings, making the action too high (like Robin Hood) and requiring more tension in the rod. Thank you for clarifying that for the sake of the TS.

Here is a diagram of how a truss rod works.

Yea same thing just different way of putting it, no problem
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst