I have played guitar for several years, yet have never quite grasped the finer points of musicianship, such as rhythm and music theory. Jamming to tabs is essentially all i have done, or have had time to do.

This brings me to my post.

Does anyone have some tips for helping me break my habit of playing with a lack of rhythm? Every time i attempt to use a metronome or count out the song, it ends with me speeding up the count or in frustration. I can't seem to do two things at once.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.

Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.

...With regards to guitar building, so get your mind out of the gutter you!
Quote by maniac111
Learn time signatures.

Thats got nothing to do with 'having time'.

Metronome is a good start, im sure that you fairly good 'relative time', where you can feel where the pulse is, but a metronome will secure it, and thats what you need, it might be frustrating, but it is so important i cannot stress it enough.

EDIT: oh and, by the way, practice, practice, practice, thats the only way, there is no shortcut to playing music which im sure you know.
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Try and hook up with a drummer, or buy a drum machine. Thats what my next paycheck is goin on, as im a pretty poor rythm player too.
I never really had a hard time for that, but in my case (about rhtythm), I listen, feel, practice then play.

By the way, with regards to time signature, a teacher told me that the manifestation of time signature will come naturally if you try to listen to the song.
Last edited by domenic_665 at Apr 20, 2008,
Do you have guitar pro? if so Heres what i did

Create a new GP file and add a drum track

B= bass
HH=High Hat
S= Snare

B - HH - S - HH - B HH - SS - HH

All in one bar. This will help you get eigth notes and once you get better it will help with faster counts.
Thanks guys. Please keep the suggestions coming.
I'm gonna go practice now.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.

Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.

...With regards to guitar building, so get your mind out of the gutter you!