So I'm pretty sure my band is falling apart. I don't think it's going to be a bad thing though. We've been together for a little over 2 years. We've got a pretty decent fan base and usually draw anywhere between 2-400 people at all our shows. The main problem is that we don't really get along any more. We're a 3 piece alternative band, but our singer/bassist has developed LSD (lead singer disorder) and wants basically full creative control of our band. Worse yet, we all go to church together and the other two guys want us to become a Christian band. I have no problems with Christian music, but I don't want to be in a Christian band. Besides, I'm more into punk anyway and I don't get to show hardly any of my punk side in our music. The singer gets all holier than thou when I mention any of this to him, and says that as long as majority rules then I have to do what they want to. Fortunately enough for me, I'm moving to Austin in less than 2 months. I'm thinking about just quitting once I move and starting a new band in Austin seeing as it's the live music capitol of the world. They also think that in the songs that I solo in I should have longer solos and do more shredding, even though that's not really my thing. Also, we haven't written any new material in over 4 months. Anything that I write is considered too "hardcore" for what our fans would like. The other problem about that is that we never ever practice now. The other 2 get together to write without me, and the singer/bassist writes the guitar parts too. All in all, it's a classic case of GNR syndrome

Anyways I just needed to rant this out. Sorry about the wall of text. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Yeah, I suggest you just give it up. It sounds like it was great, but should stop before you ruin the memory of your band for your fans, who will just see you as a bunch of pricks if you go the way of GNR. Just say you're moving on, and hopefully nobody will get angry.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
get out now. it will only get worse. it sucks when you start wanting to play different stuff from your band, but it happens. the sad part is that there isn't really a solution. plus, if you're moving, you might as well quit now.
That sucks man.

Good luck, I would just say you guys should play a final show before you move.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

I think it's probably best to start a new band because they don't want to play the same music as you.

Good luck.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by stratguy335
Austin(...) it's the live music capitol of the world.

First time I heard about that.
Last edited by Ki' at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by Ki'
First time I heard about that.
It really is.

It doesn't seem like it's working, and moving seems like a good opportunity to get out.

But 400 people is a big turn out, and it seems to be going well in the building of a fan base.

So I guess what you would have to decide if it's worth being unhappy in a somewhat successful band. I guess this would still depend on how far Austin is from the town you live in now.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Practicaly all bands have a limited lifespan, you just have to accept that, and also, it's healthy for musicians to move on and work with a variety of other musicians.
leave. get new band.
don't play if it's boring.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Thanks for all the support in the decision making. I think we're going to play a final show sometime around june or july, and then they can do their thing and I can do mine, that way we can at least remain on friendly terms.
Quote by stratguy335
So I'm pretty sure my band is falling apart. I don't think it's going to be a bad thing though. We've been together for a little over 2 years. We've got a pretty decent fan base and usually draw anywhere between 2-400 people at all our shows. The main problem is that we don't really get along any more. We're a 3 piece alternative band, but our singer/bassist has developed LSD (lead singer disorder) and wants basically full creative control of our band. Worse yet, we all go to church together and the other two guys want us to become a Christian band. I have no problems with Christian music, but I don't want to be in a Christian band. Besides, I'm more into punk anyway and I don't get to show hardly any of my punk side in our music. The singer gets all holier than thou when I mention any of this to him, and says that as long as majority rules then I have to do what they want to. Fortunately enough for me, I'm moving to Austin in less than 2 months. I'm thinking about just quitting once I move and starting a new band in Austin seeing as it's the live music capitol of the world. They also think that in the songs that I solo in I should have longer solos and do more shredding, even though that's not really my thing. Also, we haven't written any new material in over 4 months. Anything that I write is considered too "hardcore" for what our fans would like. The other problem about that is that we never ever practice now. The other 2 get together to write without me, and the singer/bassist writes the guitar parts too. All in all, it's a classic case of GNR syndrome

Anyways I just needed to rant this out. Sorry about the wall of text. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What age and where in Austin? I'm trying to start a band down here but everyone's being lame.
Well its kind of a good thing they're leaving you out of the writing process because once you move they wont have to worry about the things they can keep. You know? And you wont feel like your getting cheated out of material you helped write.
At least you guys see it coming. When my last band imploded, the singer and bass player started playing with a different drummer behind me and the drummers back. We missed a few practices because of this (they had "other things to do" like work, which in hindsight were lies) but we had a show to play. We played that show on a Friday night, felt it went well, Sunday came around (our definite practice night) and instead of practicing they tell us they're out because we weren't dedicated enough. Why? Because we were in college and they weren't...so we had less time to pimp the band. Ugh, still pisses me off.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Why break up? Why not just take a break, try some new things with other people and still play occasionally together. Maybe you guys are bored for now but will be happy to meet up again in a year from now. And you can introduce your new bands to the old fan-base.

On the other hand, are there any Christian Punk bands around? Sounds like a fun match. Ministry's Jesus built my hotrod comes to mind. :-)
Quote by BaffAttack
At least you guys see it coming. When my last band imploded, the singer and bass player started playing with a different drummer behind me and the drummers back.
Owe man, that sucks. Did you reform another band in the meanwhile?
Quote by Daytman
What age and where in Austin? I'm trying to start a band down here but everyone's being lame.

I'm 19. I'll be around north Austin. Actually more like south Pflugerville, but I'll be going to school at the Art Institute down there (which is technically in Austin)

You?
do a final show, let it get well known that it will be your final show, you will get a big turnout. then leave, start a band with daytman, become rich and famous, then come up north to CT and by that time ill be famous (and rich) and we can do a track with two bands, sick ****
Quote by surge666
do a final show, let it get well known that it will be your final show, you will get a big turnout. then leave, start a band with daytman, become rich and famous, then come up north to CT and by that time ill be famous (and rich) and we can do a track with two bands, sick ****

I like your style.
Quote by Suicide_Hotline
get out now. it will only get worse. it sucks when you start wanting to play different stuff from your band, but it happens. the sad part is that there isn't really a solution. plus, if you're moving, you might as well quit now.

:P but yeh, you probably want to leave

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost