So I was at my friends and was playing his Gibson Flying V and I could do pinch harmonics like nothing on it and it sounded great, then when I came home I tried them on my Ibanez SA260 and I can't pinch for **** on it. What's up with it? I didn't change the way I did it or anything.
My guess would be the difference in the pickups. From what i understand you have to have pretty hot pickups to do the pinchs well.
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
Quote by rseiberos2002
My guess would be the difference in the pickups. From what i understand you have to have pretty hot pickups to do the pinchs well.

What are some good pickups I could buy that will do pinches well? I don't just want new pickups for pinches but I want something that will sound a lot heavier.

Here is my current guitar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SA260FMAMB-Electric-Guitar-517962-i1149787.gc
The pick-ups most likely. String guage and where you hit the string will also make a difference, the best places vary from guitar to guitar.
it could be many things each guitar is unique, maybe the height of the strings could be the main factor

U dont have to have awesome pick ups, cause mine are stock standard piece of POO and they work awesomely but my string height are quiet low

Ur position of ur picking hand may need to be adjusted per guitar, like i said everyguitar is different

well try them two, especially the height
The pickups make a huge difference, if you really want something that squeals, I'd recommend like a set of EMG 81-85's, but you're looking to preserve the range, I'd go with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge. I'd try adjusting the action on your guitar before you replace anything, though. The action has a lot to do with your harmonics. Not too low, or the vibration won't be a harmonic, not too high, or the guitar's going to be much harder to play. :P
Quote by Regression
The pick-ups most likely. String guage and where you hit the string will also make a difference, the best places vary from guitar to guitar.

We have the same strings on both of our guitars. I've tried hitting the string in like every place and I can't get nice pinch harmonics like I got on the Gibson.
Okay well as for pick-ups, I'd go with EMG's or Seymour Duncans, as mentioned above. And also mentioned above the reason could possibly be the action on your guitar.
i dont think the pickup matters. it must be the guitar or something. i cant use my amp inside of my house because it violates some stupid HOA law, so i play my electrics unplugged. i can get pinch harmonics anywhere anytime on my esp, but on my strat copy i have to really try and i can only do it sometimes. guitars are just weird. theres no reason for it.
I'm not saying good pickups are required to create the harmonic, I just mean that you need good pickups to make it squeal in that badass Wylde way.
Quote by Grocelog
I'm not saying good pickups are required to create the harmonic, I just mean that you need good pickups to make it squeal in that badass Wylde way.

Yeah, it isn't specifically the pick-ups I don't think, I can get pinch harmonics on my acoustic and that doesn't have pick-ups. Don't know what else it could be though apart from what has been already mentioned. Good luck TS.