I am fairly new to electric guitar so ,as you can imagine, I am still unclear about a few terms and such about effects. Well, this is my question:

What exactly does chorus do?

I have looked at descriptions that say that chorus imitates the sound of two guitars playing simultaneously, but how does it do this? Also, I have noticed chorus pedals with mono, and stereo outputs. Does a stereo chorus pedal actually split the signal from your guitar to sound like multiple guitars? I have asked people at my local guitar center and they didn't even have an answer for me, sad I know. Well, I figured that the UG community would know a little bit more about what they are talking about than the employees at guitar center. So, can anyone answer my questions?
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
I can't tell you EXACTLY what it does, but it essentially adds a shimmering, spacey effect to your sound.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I can't tell you EXACTLY what it does, but it essentially adds a shimmering, spacey effect to your sound.
I somewhat understand what you are saying. That being said; is this the effect I want to get the sound of two guitars playing? If not; what effect do I want to use?
-Bugera 333XL 212
It would depend on whether you want the sound of two guitars playing the same thing, or two guitars playing harmonies.
Derp.
Quote by .Will.
It would depend on whether you want the sound of two guitars playing the same thing, or two guitars playing harmonies.
Two guitars playing the same rhythm. I already know how to get harmonies.
-Bugera 333XL 212
it takes the pitch and modifies it up and down a given amount (if you know what a Sin curve looks like, its like that), and puts that signal together with the original signal
it's called a chorus, because in a chorus line, like for say a musical, its 20+ people singing the same notes

so for a chorus pedal, it duplicates your guitars signal to create to signals, essentially the sound of 2 guitars playing the same note. now you can also make one signal move in and out of tune, whether slightly out of tune to far out, fast or slow

mono is for one amp, stereo allows you to plug into 2 amps giving you a fuller sound
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by .Will.

while youre technically right (as harmony is essentially 2 notes sounding together), when people thing guitar harmonies they don't generally think of two of the same notes sounding together
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
it's called a chorus, because in a chorus line, like for say a musical, its 20+ people singing the same notes

so for a chorus pedal, it duplicates your guitars signal to create to signals, essentially the sound of 2 guitars playing the same note. now you can also make one signal move in and out of tune, whether slightly out of tune to far out, fast or slow

mono is for one amp, stereo allows you to plug into 2 amps giving you a fuller sound
If I have an amp that has two inputs, will the stereo chorus work as well or would that whole process be redundant?
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
If I have an amp that has two inputs, will the stereo chorus work as well or would that whole process be redundant?

im not sure, but it wouldn't give the effect i described and it would probably be redundant
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
im not sure, but it wouldn't give the effect i described and it would probably be redundant
Thanks, because I would really not want to waste my money on buying the pedal with the stereo outputs when I don't need it lol.
-Bugera 333XL 212