what steps should i take to record hardcore? any precautions? also, is it true that i should use a dynamic mic for recording the vox or would a condenser do alright?
thnx in advance
cheers
drum triggers for the bass

the "sticky" bass drum sound is pretty common in hardcore recordings listen to entombment of a machine by job for a cow boy to see what i mean

a really sweet snare makes every recording sound good so try to work on that alot

use an 808 sub at parts that you really want to make the listener feel like there getting punched in the chest.. like a good place to put them is right as you get into a breakdown

vocal wise...if you know what yourdoing a condenser will work wonders

if you kinda do but just wanna stay on the safe side a good dynamic works

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=213292587&MyToken=9cd16e2a-14e7-4f06-81a2-89e819b1a4c3

if you need some comparison this guy is the best hardcore recorder in town
Good christians dont get jiggy wit it til after Marrage
The stuff you're describing isn't what I would call hardcore though. Or is that the kind of thing you're after ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by babf121
drum triggers for the bass

the "sticky" bass drum sound is pretty common in hardcore recordings listen to entombment of a machine by job for a cow boy to see what i mean

a really sweet snare makes every recording sound good so try to work on that alot

use an 808 sub at parts that you really want to make the listener feel like there getting punched in the chest.. like a good place to put them is right as you get into a breakdown

vocal wise...if you know what yourdoing a condenser will work wonders

if you kinda do but just wanna stay on the safe side a good dynamic works

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=213292587&MyToken=9cd16e2a-14e7-4f06-81a2-89e819b1a4c3

if you need some comparison this guy is the best hardcore recorder in town

You just described all of the techniques used in Deathcore, not Hardcore.

Are you talking about Hardcore punk TS?
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

im going to be recording hardcore as in fata (melodic hardcore), atreyu (post hardcore), not really deathcore
Well, I'm still dubious about what you consider to be hardcore. However, I'm not in this thread to argue about what does and doesn't constitute hardcore.

Basically, there are no hard and fast rules to apply when recording any genre. There are some guidelines, but there's no fixed method for any style really.

I'm not sure what you mean by precautions. What did you have in mind?

As for the vocals, I usually prefer to use a condenser microphone, but a dynamic such as the SM58 can work really nicely, and especially when the vocals are harsher, and don't quite need the sensitivity offered by a condenser. Another plus point of the dynamic microphone in this case is that you'll be able to scream right into it without damaging it. You probably won't ruin a condenser, but you'll need to take more care. As with all vocal recordings, it's good to use a pop filter to reduce any plosives (p and b sounds etc.).

When recording your guitars, it's wise to use less gain than you normally would when practicing or playing live. It might not sound as good to your ears as you record it, but you'll most likely find that a slightly lower gain level will yield a much clearer guitar track with a better tone. Experiment with the amount of gain to find a good setting for your equipment.

What equipment will you be using?
There is poetry in despair.
Do you mean hardcore like this?
http://www.myspace.com/thesubversives

Or like this?
http://greenroomrecording.now-here-this.com/mp3/libertyfeesample.mp3

These are both bands I recorded that seem to me to match the 'hardcore' description. The sound isn't nearly as polished as I like to present, but in both cases, they were looking for very indie-hardcore sound like Minor Threat. Both bands recorded about 6-8 songs in a single day - mixed and out the door.

Both bands were done live off the floor with almost no overdubs. Basic utilitarian mics - just set up and go for the most part. Mostly dynamic mics, except drum overheads and lead vocal mics were condensors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Def. go for an SM58 for recording screaming, i prefer the sound over a condenser. And make sure you mic all the parts of the drum kit individually, and pay special attention to the snare and kick drums. Take you time getting these, the snare is the pulse of hardcore, and kick drums/double kick are one of the defining features of modern hardcore. As stated, try to use less gain for the guitars when recording, because distortion takes up so much of the sound. Mess around compressors and such until you get it sounding as good as you can. Prep time should always be longer than recording.

Hope that helps
Quote by Mr. Saturn
Prep time should always be longer than recording.

+1

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I would go with a condenser and a pop shield, more clarity, and picks up vocal nuances better

as Mr. Saturn said, you'll want to mic the drum kit extensivley (2 overheads, kick, snare, hi hat, ride and toms)
If you dont have enough mic's, you could get away with 2 overheads, kick and snare

probably best to DI the bass, and mic the guitar with an SM57, but use less gain than you usually would live, as the mic will pick it up much closer to the speaker than you would normally hear it, so less is more
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?