So, I just switched to Broadband about 3 days ago, from Dial-up.

I decided it would be a good time to update my games (Archlord, Trickster, etc.) but when I try to update them, I get an error saying that they can't connect to the internet/update server. Yet, my browser and Downloads work just fine. MSN also won't connect, but I think it's because of a "proxy server". It also gave me the error saying that Internet Explorer can't connect. iTunes also said it couldn't connect to the online store.

What do I do to fix it? I tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't work =/ I googled, and got nothing to. Sorry if this belongs in a different thread too.

-Kai
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
If all else fails, contact your ISP, especially since you just upgraded. Chances are that, at this stage, it's a problem on their side.
Are you using a router? If so might need to forward your ports.

google "port forwarding" there's a website that practically does it for you.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Are you using a router? If so might need to forward your ports.

google "port forwarding" there's a website that practically does it for you.

port forwarding?

And yes I'm using a router, which might be it =O
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Yeah, that guide didn't help D: What to do now?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Ignore all the stuff they all just said (jk), and make sure your broadband network is your default internet connection. The programs may be relying on the phone line's hardware rather than your USB or ethernet hardware.
Quote by RPGoof
Ignore all the stuff they all just said (jk), and make sure your broadband network is your default internet connection. The programs may be relying on the phone line's hardware rather than your USB or ethernet hardware.

The phone line is not connected to the computer, so I don't see as to how thats happening. D:
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
The phone line is not connected to the computer, so I don't see as to how thats happening. D:

Thats the reason. The programs are expecting the internet connection to come through the phone line, but you're getting no signal because nothing is connected to the phone line.
Quote by RPGoof
Thats the reason. The programs are expecting the internet connection to come through the phone line, but you're getting no signal because nothing is connected to the phone line.

If thats the case, how would I go about fixing that? I posted in the games sites technical difficulties section, and I got nothing.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
So, I just switched to Broadband about 3 days ago, from Dial-up.

I decided it would be a good time to update my games (Archlord, Trickster, etc.) but when I try to update them, I get an error saying that they can't connect to the internet/update server. Yet, my browser and Downloads work just fine. MSN also won't connect, but I think it's because of a "proxy server". It also gave me the error saying that
Internet Explorer can't connect. iTunes also said it couldn't connect to the online store.

What do I do to fix it? I tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't work =/ I googled, and got nothing to. Sorry if this belongs in a different thread too.

-Kai

smartass response: I found your problem, download firefox.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Quote by thrashmetal101
smartass response: I found your problem, download firefox.

Smartass response to a response: I use Firefox, along with another browser Mozilla created called Seamonkey.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
Smartass response to a response: I use Firefox, along with another browser Mozilla created called Seamonkey.

lol had to google seamonkey, but (assuming your using windows) go to your network connections panel under the control panel and make sure everything is set to your new broadband connection (most likely your ethernet or "lan" connection) and not to the dial-up connection.

hope that helps.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.