Last thread of this topic.

Need a bedroom amp. It has come down to one of 2 things.

5W Tube plus pedals
Vox AD30VT

Have a max of 300$, preferably less, play mostly blues and classic rock, might try other things every now and then, but not enough for them to matter. have a fender mexican fat strat, if that matters any.

also if you choose tube, what kidn and what pedals, and if there is a better alternative, what would that be.
i have to disagree w/ ya some rwalby9, the blackheart that i played in the store and am buying, got a great classic rock overdrive on it's own when dimed. but i was also using my SG w/ SD humbuckers, i assume it'll be harder to get classic rock outta single coils when dimed but it shouldn't be too much lighter.

they really are nice amps, in my opinion much nicer than the Peavey royal 8. more of a marshally british voicing, rather american voicing, which is great for most classic rock. save jus a few more bucks and get a Bad Monkey overdrive w/ it and you'll be set for some hard rock and thrash.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i have to disagree w/ ya some rwalby9, the blackheart that i played in the store and am buying, got a great classic rock overdrive on it's own when dimed. but i was also using my SG w/ SD humbuckers, i assume it'll be harder to get classic rock outta single coils when dimed but it shouldn't be too much lighter.

they really are nice amps, in my opinion much nicer than the Peavey royal 8. more of a marshally british voicing, rather american voicing, which is great for most classic rock. save jus a few more bucks and get a Bad Monkey overdrive w/ it and you'll be set for some hard rock and thrash.

Yeah thats why I said I could be wrong, I wasn't totally sure. I was just going by what I thought I'd read earlier. Thanks for correcting that. If thats the case, then by all means get the Blackheart Little Giant.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675
yeah but with the blackheart, can you get the blues overdrive at bedroom volumes?
^
yes, but you wont get cleans so loud if you're playing with a band
i dont plan on playing with a bad, at least yet. so now i just have to hope that the guitar center near my house has a blackheart. im not really a fan of buyign used without trying it, so online is not an option. i know they have a fender champion 600, how are these?
a blackheart? yeah, ive got one. its mostly clean at reasonable volumes, but after a certain point it just gets more overdriven and doesnt really gain volume. of course at that point im being heard outside (not necessarily clearly). it gets decently loud and it has to be turned up to get some gain. it does not however get loud enough to really play with a drummer. i mean i guess you could, but you wouldnt really cut through all that well. great tone though, really glad i got one.
while it's clean it still has a great blues type overdrive, by attacking the strings harder the overdriven level increases and makes it perfect for blues also. and if you want it to be perfectly clean just keep ur volume on the amp low enough, use it on the 3 watt setting, or lower ur gutiar's volume knob down low enough so that it doesn't distort. but to me, that's what makes playing clean more fun- just hitting the strings harder to get some great tube overdrive.

it's a great amp no doubt.

you can get blues overdrive at bedroom levels, and if you think it's too loud at the point where it overdrives, just get an OD pedal (Bad monkey is what i use, it's cheap, and HEAVENLY) to give it crunch at whatever volume suits ur needs.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I have been considering a VOX AD 30 VT or a VOX AD 30 VTXL those amps seem to sound quite nice and would be more versatile than just a Black Heart or VJ on it own. You would be able to get crunchy rock tones and blues tones at low volumes and you would have access to other effects as well.

I've played the BH and own a modded epi valve junior both amps are rather loud when driven to a light bluesy overdrive and when driven harder for a more rock kind of sound they are really too loud for any kind of bedroom practise. You might get away with playing one if nobody else is at home and you have understanding neighbours but if others are trying to watch TV in another room I doubt that you would remain very popular with them. They are great amps I like to crank my VJ when my wife and kids are out but when they are home I play through a Boss micro BR and headphones. Sometimes I plug a zoom G1 into the VJ to get higher gain sounds and effects and keep the VJ volume down.
as stujomo said, the vox would have many options and sounds. i have one myself and love it. but when it comes to pure tube tone, you have to sacrifice some of those extra built in options. but it's worth it.

it's up to YOU to decide what is more important: a bunch of built in (but very nice) effects or pure tube tone.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH