Poll: Is it okay to boil Acoustic Bass strings?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it okay to boil Acoustic Bass strings?
Yes
17 68%
No
8 32%
Voters: 25.
One one hand, boiling my electricc bass strings works, on the other hand, boiling my acoustic guitar strings didn't work. What about acoustic bass? My strings are starting to sound dull, and I don't have any money for another set.
I Like My Music Like I Like My Life

EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!
from what i can concoct in my head it should be ok but id wait for the hardcores to get here

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Off the top of my head, if you add vinegar to the water, it should be ok. Acoustic bass strings are generally made of bronze and some other metal. If you remember from grade school science, that copper pennies could be cleaned in a mixture of vinegar and water, as well as bronze objects. Some sort of baking soda (bicarbonate) or phosphate might work as well.

And remember use a pot that you won't use for cooking again!
I'm SO tempted to get nylon tapewound strings on my ABG so I never have to get another set/clean them again.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by WickedBeast666
boil them? what does that do?

Gets grease & dirt out of the strings...keeps em for longer. The alternative is to buy new strings which most people do but some like keeping the same strings!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Andy2k64
Gets grease & dirt out of the strings...keeps em for longer. The alternative is to buy new strings which most people do but some like keeping the same strings!

I hadn't heard of that before - thanks. I may try it myself.
Quote by DanielQ
I hadn't heard of that before - thanks. I may try it myself.

A caveat here--it doesn't work forever. I would only boil once to extend, and don't expect the life span to be equal to new strings.
As a general rule i NEVER boil my strings.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Metal+Water=Rust last time I checked. And Rusty strings>old strings I imagine. So unless someone can give me a brief explanation on why boiling strings works, Id say not to.

And Im not trying to be a dick, I actually would like to know what boiling the strings does to extend their life.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Metal+Water=Rust last time I checked. And Rusty strings>old strings I imagine. So unless someone can give me a brief explanation on why boiling strings works, Id say not to.

And Im not trying to be a dick, I actually would like to know what boiling the strings does to extend their life.

you can dry them and rub them down with some alcohol. But if your going to rub them down with alcohol, might as well skip the whole boiling thing.
Also, stainless steel strings will not rust because they are... well... stainless steel.
I wrote a whole section on this in the FAQ. Cleaning your strings does bring back some of that "new" string sound by removing dirt and oil. This is why if you keep your hands clean when you play and wipe down your strings AFTER you play, your strings also last longer. For those of you who need a repeat.........

1. Boil your strings.
Find an old cooking pot that will never be used for cooking again and add your strings and water and boil them for 20 minutes. After taking the strings out of the pan, you can remove as much of the water as possible from the string with a lint free cloth and then set them some place warm to dry; or you can bake them in an oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees to remove the water and avoid rust.

And word to the wise—if you use a cooking pot without permission, it will not end well for you. And most cooking pots cost considerably more than a new set of s strings, which is why I really recommend Option #2.

2. Soak them in denatured alcohol (for you non-Americans that would be methylated spirits)
Denatured alcohol can be purchased at any hardware store. This method requires a bit more cash, but doesn’t ruin a cooking pot and doesn’t run the risk of rusting your strings. Get a big glass or plastic jar and put your strings in the jar and fill it with the alcohol. Leave the strings in for at least 24 hours but no more than 48. Take them out, let them dry and put them back on your bass.
Strings are made of nikkel (or have a nikkel coating). Nikkel is also used to make rust free metals.

Boiling strings will get away with dust, dirt, skin etc. And because its nikkel it wont rust though you need to dry your strings but thats more to prevent dry spots like on a wet car that is dryed in the sun.

Better would be to put them in denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) for 12-24 hours but be careful as denatured alcohol is poisonous so do not drink it.

While these methods work they only work to a limited degree they help you if you realy are low on cash. The very best thing to do is just get new strings.

If you search the internet for boiling strings you will not find a defenitive answer. 50% will say its ok to do so and 50% will say it's not. I'm with the NOT part.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Well, considering the overwhelming evidence against me, I have failed.

I still wouldnt boil my strings though.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Well, considering the overwhelming evidence against me, I have failed.

I still wouldnt boil my strings though.

To be honest, the only reason I ever boiled my strings was extreme poverty. And after having too many guitar strings break after a week of boiling them, I almost preferred to play dead strings (which as a punk guitar player really wasn't a HUGE issue).

Again, its a fix only if you don't have the cash, but its only going to buy you a short extension of life. I agree, if you have the cash, buy new ones.
^anarkee!!!! You're a mod now!?!? The things I miss when I get bored with this site...

NO!!!! I know from experience that this does not work. Ive tried it before and the strings ruined within a few seconds. If you plan on throwing them away anyway, its worth a shot to see for yourself, but Im positive that acoustic bass strings cannot be boiled. And like anarkee said, its a quick fix and you'll need new strings within a few months anyway.
Quote by Mescalino
Better would be to put them in denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) for 12-24 hours but be careful as denatured alcohol is poisonous so do not drink it.

Dunno why you and anarkee need to soak the strings. Denatured alcohol is pretty powerful agains oils/skin. I usually take the strings off the winders, then rub them down with a alcohol soaked rag. I dont rub them down while they are on the bass because I dont want alcohol drying up my fretboard. Combine the cleaning with the relaxing of the strings; I usually get a week or two of nice bright strings. Two weeks is payday.... payday=$.... $=new strings.
Due to me having some REALLY REALLY messed up sweat my strings last about 3 weeks or so untill there completely dead... So boling the strings is a real life saver... They do not ruin the strings or make them rust as people claim... I also heard baking soda is something that will make the strings become even cleaner...