hi there, i'm new here, but i've read several of your threads, and you guys seem like very knowledgeable people so i though i could plead with you to grace me with some of your knowledge.

i'm planning a bass build in the not too distant future, maybe next summer or whenever i can get enough money.
anyway, i was thinking of a 5 string neck thru with a bubinga body, 5 piece wenge neck w/ walnut and an ebony fingerboard, and walnut stringers. also, i haven't firmly decided on pickups, but i was leaning towards active EMG's.

i was wondering what kind of tone i could expect from such a combination, also if you guys could suggest possible alternative pickups, i'd greatly appreciate it.

i like to play metal, but also like to branch out into some other stuff, funk, jazz, that sort of thing

what i'm really looking for is a nice growly tone, kind of warwick-like, but still clear and defined, but if at all possible still fairly versatile.

any input would be greatly appreciated!

cheers!
ask ormsby im not too great with woods tonal quality's id also ask the gear building/customizing forum about it here isnt really ur best bet. it looks like it would have a nice sound to it tho just from the stats .
I am me. Live with it.
The bubinga body iirc will give it a slight warm, growl-ish sound, but it's pretty well-rounded. Wenge should give you a pretty dark and warm sound, ebony will help with a darker sound, walnut I think is a not-as-extreme darker wood, almost middle range. The actives should give you a more treble-y sound, which you'll need. If you're looking for a metal tone, you've got a pretty good one, but you're risking just falling into the mix.

This is if I remember my tonewoods correctly, which I may not. Hopefully a more experienced person can look it over.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
As far as fingerboards go, Ebony is quite a dense wood, so it should give a fairly snappyish tone. Bubinga will give it some nice bass, and good low mids.

Rather than go for EMGs, which have a very sterile tone, I would recommend maybe some MEC's. They will definately bring out the growl of this bass quite well.

Have you ever built an instrument before?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
As far as fingerboards go, Ebony is quite a dense wood, so it should give a fairly snappyish tone. Bubinga will give it some nice bass, and good low mids.

Rather than go for EMGs, which have a very sterile tone, I would recommend maybe some MEC's. They will definately bring out the growl of this bass quite well.

Have you ever built an instrument before?

If the TS does do that, he is getting close to building his own Warwick.

And I will advise that unless you have carpentry experience, building a NT instrument is tough for a variety of reasons: getting the heel right, gluing the wings tight, etc.
I wouldn't go for the EMGs either - you'll lose all that warmth from those nice woods. MECs will make it a growl machine...sounds good to me.
i have not built an instrument before, however, i do have a lot of experience with woodworking. i also had been considering MEC pickups, and yes it does seem quite close to a warwick. buying a bass is cool and all, but there's something to be said for constructing your own work of art, i think. not to mention an awesome custom bass!

thanks for the replies!

also, i was thinking about a quilted maple veneer, with a wicked ruby red/black sunburst, but i'd most likely send it to someone to do the finishes, unless i can find a paint gun to practice with.
Last edited by zombie_bassist at Apr 20, 2008,
with those woods and that construction you'll likely get close to the tone you want, assuming good active electronics. but the construction is much more important than the wood choice. doesn't matter how good the wood is, if you don't assemble it well it won't sound good, period.
^ No crap. That's why we don't really talk about the construction, and focus on tonewoods/pickups/etc.; it's assumed construction will be solid before anything else. You don't choose a wallpaper based on the shape of the house, do you?
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?