So having amassed a plethora of expensive guitars and amps, I found myself wondering what could I possibly blow money on now? Well a buddy of mine told me about the benifits of a rack (which i can't recall why they were so great, other than looking nifty) So I was wondering what I could put in this nifty rack, what purpose it would serve and what it would set me back. I thoroughly enjoy John Petrucci if it helps.
You should rack-mount a couple of Mark IV heads. That'll satisfy you
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Does the Mark IV's tone really differ that much from my RK? While I'm at it should I get a Tri-Axis too?
Is tone worth THAT much to you?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Basically, you can get rackmounted pre/poweramps (don't need them if you're happy with your current amp), and different effecs processors/noise gates and such. The good thing about having a rackmounted effects processor is that usually they're better than multi-effects pedals, while they essentially do the same thing. They also often work via midi, so you can control them extensively with a midi pedal. And you don't have to set up a truckload of pedals to get what you want - just move the rack and plug into it, and it pretty much works.

Or something like that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by .arkness:.

Yes.

Plus, if I'm not spending money on guitar, I'm spending it on video games or books, and I'm falling behind on my video games and reading. Guitar is something I love, and i can't think of a better thing to put money into. I already donate to chairity and all, but guitar is arguably more fufilling then helping starving children/homeless.

I think it would be sick to have a whole midi set up, only I would have no idea of how to get something like that started.
Quote by .arkness:.

's better than drugs...

at the risk of getting sigged by a perverted 13 year-old pit-dweller, i don't know very much about racks...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

at the risk of getting sigged by a perverted 13 year-old pit-dweller, i don't know very much about racks...

Done?

Edit: My joke is not working, I must flee
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Apr 20, 2008,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have reached the limit of Dave's usefulness? Oh no. Who do I turn to now?
hard liquor
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hard liquor

I promised never to go back to that.

I'm drunk and I still don't have any useful advice on rack setups.

try a different forum perhaps? considering UG is mainly young and/or poor people, you might want to head to one of the more affluent forums... the gear page, that racks forum or something like that...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm also thinking about getting a rack, and it would consist of the following:

Power conditioner: FURMAN PL-PRO/E II or FURMAN PL-PLUS E II
Effects: TC Electronics G-Force or G-Major (midi controlable)
Noisegate: ISP Decimator ProRackG

If you want a full midi setup, add an ENGL E580 pre-amp.
Then get yourself a good midi controlboard and you're set.
Top it off with a Mesa Boogie power amp and you have yourself a very good & professional rack.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Evian
I promised never to go back to that.

I'm drunk and I still don't have any useful advice on rack setups.

depending on your current effects pedal linup, you could always buy a midi floorboard and rackmount all you pedals. doing so would allow you to change amp channels/effects all in one button
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
The single biggest advantage of a rack rig is the amount of control you can have over an extremely diverse array of tones. Using multiple preamps and multiple effects processors becomes relatively easy and you can switch any of them in/out of the signal path on any of their presets (of which 128 is pretty standard) by a single press on a single footswitch. Of course programming the darn thing generally requires the gear equivalent of an undergrad degree, and you'll have a ton of crap to buy before you can get to that point. that being said here are a few things to consider:

Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro/GCX
The least expensive Midi switching system and a pretty good floor controller. The controller doesn't have the capability of things like the Rocktron All Access or the Axess FX1, but is well built (except for the momentary switches) and is more than capable of handling most intermediate level requirements. The footswitches are Carling momentary switches and basically will never wear out, but are easy to break if you accidentally hit them sideways. Small Bear Electronics sells replacements that don't have this issue.

Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1
This is one of the best preamps that hard earned money can buy (if you're a trust fund kid, get a Soldano X99 or a Fractal AxeFX) but is often overlooked for it's lack of tubes. It IS all analog, has tons of versatility, and really does sound fantastic.

TC Electronic G-Major
Aside from some issues relating the rotary encoders (evidently they're not meant to be whacked) this is far and away one of the best deals on a good effects processor. It has tons of "useful" effects, sounds good, and TC finally got all the programming bugs worked out.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Racks are amazing. Period. lol

Obviously, its a big (or small) box that you load ("rack") a bunch of equipment in. This ranges from preamps (to give your tone), poweramps (to amplify), as well as almost every other possibility (wireless systems, pedal control systems, MIDI systems, effects processors, switching systems, noise gates, limiters, compressors, power supplies, and a whole lot more.

Rack is THE way to go if you want a custom/unique great sound/tone. The only reason it is not 'common', is because it can become complicated (ie, how do I hook X up to Y to make Z do W)...., but mostly, because it becomes expensive, FAST.

Your typical high-end preamp runs about $1,200 average (and more)... with your average poweramp also running $1,000 or more. Already... just to get your basic amp head in rack form, you're likely to drop $2,000+.

Then you can add a nice effects processor (~$1,500), maybe a compressor or limiter (~$500), and then a bunch of the other things you need (tons of cables, the rack itself, etc; ~$1,000). All in all, to setup a pretty basic and standard rack (with high quality gear), you'll be looking near ~$5,000. Then maybe you want to add another preamp, maybe 2; maybe get a few more effects processors; maybe add a rack EQ; etc... as you can imagine, there is A LOT of flexibility.

In my rack I have a Mesa Recto Pre and a 2:100... essentially, I spent ~$3,000 to get a rack-mountable Dual Rectifier lol... but it is worth it, cause I can do a lot more with these two pieces than I could with a Dual. My dream rack would include the items I already own, as well as: an Engl E-580 preamp ($~2,700), Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis (~$1,700), Eventide Eclipse effects processor (~$1,995), TC Electronics Fireworx effects processor (~$1,499), TC Electronics M4000 studio reverb (~$2,500), a DBX Quantum II processor (~$2,200), maybe a TC Electronics Finalizer (~$2,400), and a lot more (these are just the ones I know I want, I just don't have the money for all of them).

I have a long way to go to get the guitar/recording equipment I'd like to have... all in all, my rack when done one day will be worth a nice car lol...

If you are interested in seeing rack gear that's out there, check out Sweetwater (http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/). They are pretty good, and most of the equipment they list is fairly high end, and generally all good quality (it is all studio level equipment, including things like EQ, effects, and even mic preamps). Don't look for rack gear at your typical guitar store or guitar site; they are typically lower end, low quality (by and large).

To get rack equipment ideas, suggestions, answers, etc; I'd consider looking at the following forum; they are all mainly professionals (won't find too many young idiots over there like you do here):
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

Aside from that... there are lots of nice preamps out there. Mesa has the Recto Pre and Tri-Axis to name 2; Engl has like 3 models; Soldano has a few models; etc. Just do a search for guitar rack preamps or such; you'll find options (there are even solid state preamps that aren't too bad when coupled with a tube poweramp).

For a Petrucci sound... if I'm not mistaken, I believe at some point he used a Tri-Axis with a 2:90 (Mesa poweramp). And probably a few processors of some sort inbetween.
This is what I've been looking for. Thanks for all the info, now I need a moment to take it all in, and look at these products. Oh and I'm not a trust fund kid, This all my hard earned money I'm spending.

Dave what forums are you talking about?

Edit: I took the time to read your post. This sounds more expensive than I had originally thought. Is there any way I could IM you or something? It would be easier to get the questions I have answered. Thanks. Oh and your rack is beautiful. So many glowing lights.
Last edited by Evian at Apr 21, 2008,
You can message me if you want... but I'm about to go my lab.

Oh... and racks ARE expensive; but you can get a nice rack without spending $10,000; etc. Most of the items I noted are TOP items,..., there are less expensive items out there.
The only think I know about rack gear is that a BBE sonic equilizer is pretty standard rack effect but don't quote me on that becouse I realy know nothing.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Hmm.. I'm sort of looking to start with a meh rack and slowly replace things with high end gear. If we could start with that, it would be great.
Quote by Kendall
Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1
This is one of the best preamps that hard earned money can buy (if you're a trust fund kid, get a Soldano X99 or a Fractal AxeFX) but is often overlooked for it's lack of tubes. It IS all analog, has tons of versatility, and really does sound fantastic.

TC Electronic G-Major
Aside from some issues relating the rotary encoders (evidently they're not meant to be whacked) this is far and away one of the best deals on a good effects processor. It has tons of "useful" effects, sounds good, and TC finally got all the programming bugs worked out.

You pretty much summed up my old rig. These 2 items with a power amp and a good cabinet pretty much guarantees professional tone. The Tech21 can do everything from great cleans, to blues dirt, to rock, to metal.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Rack gear works and sounds better than stomp boxes IMO, you get balanced connections and a heck of a lot more features for the money.
You will have to spend a lot more though but it's worth it if you are really into guitar.

...Or you could also send the money to me....I'll use it in my studio haha

but really, if you want some top notch help with rack gear and such, go to http://studio-central.com/phpbb/index.php

They deal with recording gear mostly but they know their rack gear and I've learned a lot from them already.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 22, 2008,
Well from what I've read, the G-major isn't all that great. But It's more in the price range I'm looking at. Spending $2000-$3000 on the whole kit and kaboodle right now and upgrading piece by piece sounds more like what I'd like to do. The tech 21 pre amp seems interesting. I'll check that out.
nice to see you around, CyBerAliEn, haven't seen you around here for ages.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evian
Well from what I've read, the G-major isn't all that great. But It's more in the price range I'm looking at. Spending $2000-$3000 on the whole kit and kaboodle right now and upgrading piece by piece sounds more like what I'd like to do. The tech 21 pre amp seems interesting. I'll check that out.

The G Major often gets hated on because it's a digital multi-effects processor and because some of the early models had glitches that caused them to randomly lose their memory. It's also comparatively difficult to set up versus the usual stompbox army that so many people swear by. Like most gear, it's as good as you make it. It's not a cure all for bad tone, but it is a heck of a unit at a heck of a price.
Quote by Kendall
The G Major often gets hated on because it's a digital multi-effects processor and because some of the early models had glitches that caused them to randomly lose their memory. It's also comparatively difficult to set up versus the usual stompbox army that so many people swear by. Like most gear, it's as good as you make it. It's not a cure all for bad tone, but it is a heck of a unit at a heck of a price.

The things I've read aren't about the quality of the sound, they just say that it isn't well built. Something about knobs sticking.
The rotary encoders (knobs) don't take abuse well, that much is quite true. It's also true that there are many people who probably don't like what is does based on experience with the unit. It's also true that it's comparatively difficult to dial in and most people will probably never explore it's full potential. All I'm saying is that you might want to give it a try as it's very difficult to get a proper feel for something if all you have is hearsay and internet reviews (most of which don't reflect the actual public opinion of the product).
if you are still wondering bout racks i have a few links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zMmARor6w thats slipknot rack but they explain alot bout what you wanting to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpYXu3-Cvw&feature=related and that guy is just sick.
my stuff
<><><><>
roland cube<---(anyone wanna buy it?)
b.c. rich mockingbird masterpiece<-----(is gunna get new electronics soon)
mxr 10-band EQ
crybaby 535Q wah <---(its awsome)
Quote by Evian
Yes.

Plus, if I'm not spending money on guitar, I'm spending it on video games or books, and I'm falling behind on my video games and reading. Guitar is something I love, and i can't think of a better thing to put money into. I already donate to chairity and all, but guitar is arguably more fufilling then helping starving children/homeless.

This is the exact reason almost all of my gear came to be. Reading/Video games just aren't as fulfilling an experience as playing my guitar anymore.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
nice to see you around, CyBerAliEn, haven't seen you around here for ages.

Indeed. Good to be back around. (tho UG seems to have gotten dumber, ie-overrun by 12 year olds lol)

College has consumed my time... but I got a tablet notebook this year, so I spend some of my lectures surfing the web... naturally ended up here after a few months lol... in fact, right now i am sitting in my chemistry lecture (boring).

PS: Thread starter... do a search for "racks" that i have posted; i use to post a lot of info here.
Quote by CyBerAliEn

PS: Thread starter... do a search for "racks" that i have posted; i use to post a lot of info here.

Yeah, do a Google image search for "good rack" to see what other people use.

*whistle*
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by CyBerAliEn
Indeed. Good to be back around. (tho UG seems to have gotten dumber, ie-overrun by 12 year olds lol)

College has consumed my time... but I got a tablet notebook this year, so I spend some of my lectures surfing the web... naturally ended up here after a few months lol... in fact, right now i am sitting in my chemistry lecture (boring).

i hear you about chemistry...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The videos were kinda helpful. But one of them was just wanking. I'll do a search on racks and see what I come up with. I think at this point it's less about what racks are and more of "what should i put in it?"
Quote by Evian
The videos were kinda helpful. But one of them was just wanking. I'll do a search on racks and see what I come up with. I think at this point it's less about what racks are and more of "what should i put in it?"

That depends on what you want. Do you want a compressor? Noise gate/remover? Effects? Preamp (and maybe poweramp)?
Quote by Lunchbox362
Well. I'd probably like something along the lines of a compressor, effects, noise gate, and a power conditioner, and whatever useful doodad that might exist. I can hold off on a preamp and poweramp for now, seeing as how i have the roadking.