Look, I'm really confused about racks
are they better then pedals?
What are the advantages/disadvantages?
Do you need special equipment?

Will they work with a Mesa/Boogie F30 head?

I'm so confused
sorry if this is noobish but there really should be a sticky on all about Racks/effects stuff
and if there is im terribly sorry
your mums is very nice.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
your mums is very nice.

anyway, you know what i mean... (i hope)
Wow, this thread went the wrong way fast. They are better than all your standard pedals from what I know yes, and alot more expensive unfortunately. Only disadvantage is you have to have all that equipment crap to screw around with it. And I'm pretty sure they work with all amps? I don't know, I'm no expert on this.
Quote by Regression
Wow, this thread went the wrong way fast. They are better than all your standard pedals from what I know yes, and alot more expensive unfortunately. Only disadvantage is you have to have all that equipment crap to screw around with it. And I'm pretty sure they work with all amps? I don't know, I'm no expert on this.

finally a better answer!
If you want the other kind of rack on UG search through the pit, im sure there'll be somethin
Quote by Regression

most people who can afford rack gear use a good tube amp with it but Im sure you can use rack gear with solid state stuff (my guitar teacher uses a Line 6 HD147 which is awesome high end solid state. He also uses a Line 6 pod with that same setup).
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Rack gear is really designed for gigging, touring guitarists. The whole point is that it sits in a flightcase and is designed to be moved around and set up quickly.

There's nothing to stop a home guitarist buying a rack obviously, but it's completely un-necessary. If you've got the money then it's up to you, but there's plenty of pros who've never touched rackmounted gear in their life, it's not something you ever "need" to do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
this might be a bit off topic...
but do you need to use the amp head..when you already have good rack gear?
and does anyone know what a standard rack would be like..e.g compressor, pre amp, power amp and such..
No, you just need an effects loop. And if you are running a head there is no need to run pre amp and power amp. You only need that if you wanna drive a cab with the rack system. A head is a pre amp and a power amp. Although, you could run a pre amp in the rack, and just run into the return side of the effects loop
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by fazgaz#
this might be a bit off topic...
but do you need to use the amp head..when you already have good rack gear?
and does anyone know what a standard rack would be like..e.g compressor, pre amp, power amp and such..

If you've got rackmount power and preamps then you can just go straight to a cab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm surprised no one has touched on this part yet, but probably the greatest advantage to most rack rigs is the ease of control once it's set up and programmed. Using Midi, it's possible to do things with one press of a footswtich that would have previously required a dozen footswitch presses, four button presses, and the turning of six knobs. It's not that you can't get this type of control without a rack rig, it's just that most of the gear built for this type of thing happens to be rackmountable. Admittedly you need to spend ridiculous amounts of time programming presets and it's terribly difficult to make "on the fly" adjustments, but if you're playing the same live set four times a week and have to load in and load out every time it makes perfect sense.

This brings me to set up and tear down. My buddy Justin has one of the most ridiculously overcomplicated rack rigs I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few), however set up is simply two speaker cables, one Midi cable, and one power cable. My rig that's easily less than a third as capable (and as complicated) still requires at least three times the setup and tear down time.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^
+1 Listen to what Kendall said, he knows what he's talking about.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
^
+1 Listen to what Kendall said, he knows what he's talking about.

+1

I *did* touch on it, albeit extremely lightly, much as a feather would touch one on the eyelid as it wafts around on a gentle breeze.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Its also worth noting that racks offer you the ability "customize" your sound.

There are numerous different preamps and poweramps out there. You can combine any preamp with any poweramp for a different or unique sound. You can also rackmount a single pre and rack multiple poweramps (though this would get heavy). Or, rack multiple pres with a single power amp. Etc.

Racks only really have 2 downsides... 1) cost; they are EXPENSIVE, you can easily spend several thousand on a nice and simple rack. 2) Weight; a fully loaded rack can easily surpass 100+ pounds and more, if I'm not mistaken, my power amp weighs in around ~80lbs (?) just by itself.
Regarding weight, it's actually not terribly difficult to deal with if you're willing to drop a few extra bucks and deal with some extra setup time. If you're going to end up having a heavy rig and need 12u of rack space, get 2 separate 6u cases and make an extra trip to the van.

CyBerAliEn hit the nail on the head regarding cost. Rack setups generally aren't expensive, they're EXPENSIVE. At this point I would need to drop close to $3000 just to be able to incorporate my current rig into a Midi controllable rack rig.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Regarding weight, it's actually not terribly difficult to deal with if you're willing to drop a few extra bucks and deal with some extra setup time. If you're going to end up having a heavy rig and need 12u of rack space, get 2 separate 6u cases and make an extra trip to the van.

True. Weight is entirely manageable; fewer items, smaller racks, roadies, etc lol... But most people don't realize that these "little convenient rack boxes" can get so heavy that you NEED two people to lift it (though you can move it on a level surface easily, most larger racks have wheels; the bitchy part is getting a 400lb rack lifted and loaded into a truck, etc lol.