ok so im pretty much tone deaf, i was when i started playing guitar and im pretty sure i still am.
iv been playing for about 3/4 years and have been learning from tabs on this site and in magazines etc.

recently however i couldnt find a tab i wanted to a pretty simple song (yearnin by the black keys) so i sat down with the record and figured it out in a few hours.
so obviously i was well pleased as i love the song and have been wanting to be able to play it but the fact there was no tab i had convinced myself i would never learn it.
thing is this past month ever since then, when im listening things (admittadly simple songs) mainly blues (r l burnside/the black keys/jr kimbrough etc), i can sit down and have the song worked out in a few hours.

iv done this for about 6 songs this month, some of them have been tabbed on here and iv checked afterwards and iv been correct (with the odd mistake here and there).
i no the songs iv worked out so far have been simple (3 or 4 chords with quite repetative riffs) but considering the past 3 years the closest ive ever come to figuring a song out by ear was accidently playing the riff from smoke on the water when trying to play something else im pretty pleased with my progress.

i was wondering though has this happened to any one else on here?

it seems to have come out of no were and im wondering if this is just a bit of a fluke or if it was just a lack of confidence/patience and once i worked out one i had the confidence to try others?

is this just a by product of playing the guitar for 3/4 years and slowly learning how to play the thing/understand how it works instead of just been spoon fed techniques and tabs?

im not sure about any of those questions but i feel like iv made big progress this month in my guitar playing and understanding and just figured id see if any one else had an opinion on this sort of thing.
Being tone deaf is pretty much God's way of saying you won't be a musician.
EDIT: No seriously, I'm proud that you're continuing with it, and overcoming it. Keep up the good work!!!
Gore AND Core; unite!
i have no ambitions to be famous or be a musician however you define that, i have a job i enjoy and earn good money from it, i just play the guitar because i love he instrument and the sound i can make from it, if il never be a musician then thats perfectly fine by me but il definatly be having fun playing my guitar.
Quote by Daisy_Ramirez_
Being tone deaf is pretty much God's way of saying you won't be a musician.
EDIT: No seriously, I'm proud that you're continuing with it, and overcoming it. Keep up the good work!!!

That's rude

Anyway, Robert Fripp was tone deaf and without rhythm at frist (he says so himself) but hear him play now.

Keep up with it, you can only improve.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
I think it's just because you've been relying on tabs, so you haven't been developing your ear. I don't think you had an actual impairment.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Pure_Morning
That's rude

Anyway, Robert Fripp was tone deaf and without rhythm at frist (he says so himself) but hear him play now.

Keep up with it, you can only improve.

I know it was rude, that's why I felt bad, so I had to add the edit.
He knows I didn't mean it.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Are you sure you were tone deaf? Or just really bad before? because the latter you can improve on.

Anyway, do even more songs until you become some sort of crazy, song-figuring-out genius!