Hey guys

I'm looking to upgrade some of my gear. I currently have:

Marshall MG30DFX
Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal
Encore Les paul
Epiphone les paul
Aria stg strat

I'm happy with all of my guitars at the moment and the bluesbreaker pedal is ok. Some people have suggested that i should perhaps upgrade the pickups in my epiphone to some bareknuckles. I will look into this in future however you are welcome to make suggestions.

On the other hand I'm not so happy with my marshall mg30dfx and so have been looking to upgrade. Aswell as an amp I would like to buy some pedals.Especially a wah and new overdrive

The core of what I play is blues and so the amp must be well suited to this style. Aswell as blues I do play other genres such as Southern Rock, early rock n roll/RnB and 60's things.

Blues wise,I play alot of slide guitar and would like to achieve tones close to Elmore james, Muddy Waters and the allman brothers. Other blues i play is buddy guy, albert collins and john lee hooker. I'm also a BIG BIG stevie ray vaughan and kenny wayne shepherd fan. As blues is the core fo what i play i would really like my new gear to achieve very close tones to those people.

I'd like the gear to be able to achieve the tones similair to that of lynyrd skynyrd, led zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix

I don't mind buying used
I don't mind changing speakers/tubes
I don't mind buying pedals

I've looked into the blues junior please tell me about this and if it would suite me
For OD's I've looked into:
Tubescreamer TS9
Maxon OD808
jekyll and hyde
fulltone ocd

Now my only problem with soem of those is that im in the uk. Could someone please direct me to a source where I can get those.

For the wahwahs ive looekd into:
Vox v847
Buddha wah? (i can't find this anywhere, ive just heard its good)
RC picture wah (same as with the buddha)

Ok for the amp my budget is £350 MAXIMUM and after that i can save up for improvements
The pedal my absolute max is £70 each

Thanks if you can help
Ghee,for the amp I can suggest Peavey Delta Blues (dunno exact name) great tone for a fair price....as for the pick-ups in the Epi I suggest some Blues-rock minded Seymour Duncans coz of their warm tone....Pedals? You definatly can't go wrong with the tube screamer and Wah-wah:Crybaby Classic.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok Well i understand the fender blues junior is cheaper in the USA by about £100. I've also just looked into the laney VC15 which is very cheap. However if the blues junior is better suited towards my blues needs then would it be a good idea to buy a used one?

I've also looked into the crybaby classic. My only concern is that many people have told me that crybabies are rubbish especially the crybaby original. Is this crybaby classic an exception. It's quite a bit more expensive than the vox is it that much better.

Also there was a good website i saw called euro something i think. They're based in europe but ship to the uk. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've forgotten what it's called
The Vox wah has a better feel to me than the crybaby. A richer, fuller tone IMO. Been a while since I used one though, since I don't own one.

And is the Peavey Delta Blues available in the UK? It sounds great. Also, an Ampeg J-20 sounds pretty good for blues, but I am not sure if they have it in the UK and it might be maybe 30 quid out of your range.
You can't go wrong with a blues jr. I have one, it rocks.

What's even better is that you can get a retube set that fits your style. Also a lot of mods are avaliable for this amp.

Rock on!
So then. Is the blues junior a much better amp than the laney vc15? If so i might aswell look out for a used one and hopefully get one for a similair price.

A blues junior + tubescreamer would that be able to get SRV and KWS tones?

How far could a tubescreamer push the blues junior.

I have looked at the peavey delta blues and it looks veyr nice but its very expensive. If i can find one used i will think about it
Quote by muddywaters51
So then. Is the blues junior a much better amp than the laney vc15? If so i might aswell look out for a used one and hopefully get one for a similair price.

A blues junior + tubescreamer would that be able to get SRV and KWS tones?

How far could a tubescreamer push the blues junior.

I have looked at the peavey delta blues and it looks veyr nice but its very expensive. If i can find one used i will think about it

The VC15 is impressive and pretty much the same as the blues jr but I can't say which is better.

I can tell you this though, the Bjr (and Pjr) has a lots of supports since it was conceived in or around '95. It was also one of the best selling amps and there's a cheaper amp called the Pro Jr and you can't go wrong with that one either.

As I said, there's so much supports that they have clubs.

For the tubes and mods there's plenty of it. You can change any tubes on any amp to suit your style. For example, you use pedals to drive the amp so you put in tube(s) with lower gains thus giving you more headroom for the pedals.

As for my Bjr, it sounds damn good as stock and with the tubes and mods it'll get your attention.

Rock on!
Quote by PanHead
The VC15 is impressive and pretty much the same as the blues jr but I can't say which is better.

I can tell you this though, the Bjr (and Pjr) has a lots of supports since it was conceived in or around '95. It was also one of the best selling amps and there's a cheaper amp called the Pro Jr and you can't go wrong with that one either.

As I said, there's so much supports that they have clubs.

For the tubes and mods there's plenty of it. You can change any tubes on any amp to suit your style. For example, you use pedals to drive the amp so you put in tube(s) with lower gains thus giving you more headroom for the pedals.

As for my Bjr, it sounds damn good as stock and with the tubes and mods it'll get your attention.

Rock on!

The Pro Junior is notoriously faulty - TRUST ME! And unless you go used they are very overpriced, with most places still wanting around £260+ for them.

As for the Blues Junior, it's a great amp and Rocking Rooster music (I think) do it for £309 over here which is the best UK price I've seen. I just got a VC 15 the other day to replace my old Pro Junior and it's a great amp.

I think you should look at the VC-15, especially as it's very well priced, considering you want some pedals too. £220 is the going rate if you shop around.
Hey, I have a blues junior up for sale in the gear ads forum. check it out and tell me if you are interrested
so basically, the fender and the laney are both great amps and i should just try them out. Now like i asked before will I be able to achieve tones similair to SRV and KWS with a tubescreamer and one of those amps. Also how far can a tubescreamer push those amps?
Quote by dragonkid126
Hey, I have a blues junior up for sale in the gear ads forum. check it out and tell me if you are interrested

Your in america and im in england
An interesting note about the Blues Junior is the fact that it's yet another amp that has what virtually everyone considers to be "shoddy" construction. It has board mounted pots on a wafer thin PCB amongst other things. Open one up sometime, it's interesting.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
If you want to play american style blues like you said in the opening post, do not buy a laney. Its not going to have the same tone that you're looking for. Flat out, if you're playing american blues, you need a fender or fender-voiced amp. It is what you're trying to emulate in those tones. Plain and simple.

The blues junior is a great amp, especially for the price. I think you'll be extremely happy with it.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by Kendall
An interesting note about the Blues Junior is the fact that it's yet another amp that has what virtually everyone considers to be "shoddy" construction. It has board mounted pots on a wafer thin PCB amongst other things. Open one up sometime, it's interesting.

I'm aware of it on mine and it doesn't bother me. I had the back off looking at the board identifying the components for the mods.

It is a poor construction there but knowing that then you'd take it easy there. I found my bj new for $399 and I grabbed it. I haven't regretted it.

Even with the cheap fender tubes in it it sounds bitchin'. I'm deciding whether I do the mods and void the 5 year warranty or just retube it. Right now I'm just going to retube it and take it from there.

A retube will definetly sound better.
I've tried the Blues Junior and a Vox AC15 side to side in a store. I would say to go for a Vox for Led Zeppelin and Jimi tones. The Vox is a typical british voiced amp, a bit like marshall. I found the blues junior to be a bit too country sounding for Zep and Jimi. Led Zeppelin's first album was recorder using a telecaster plugged into a Vox AC30.

Otherwise I say get a Vox wah, Page and Hendrix used it both. It's way more expressive than a crybaby but doesn't handle high gain. Be aware of that.
So many jerks, so few bullets
the blues junior is a nice amp, but panhead stop saying "you cant go wrong with it"

because honestly, you can.

i found the stock speaker to be somewhat lacking.
you're also talking about modding it, retubing it and so on.

so yeah, it's nice but, it's not the be all end all. and in the UK it's not even a good value.

TS im not saying for you to get a british voiced amp, but i do suggest you at least try the laney. see if that's something that'll work for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Oh if you want a tone near to hendrix get single coils and a fuzz face.
So many jerks, so few bullets
Quote by muddywaters51
Why do you have 2 fender blues juniors?

Anyway thanks for the help guys much appreciated

One at home and one at school. However, they do have different speakers.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by Gabou1
Led Zeppelin's first album was recorder using a telecaster plugged into a Vox AC30.

LZI is a Supro, not an AC30.
i love playing on my drummer's dad's blues junior with a tube screamer...sounds like heaven...the cleans are impeccable.

the only thing to make it better? my sure sm57 instrument mic on the blues junior pushing the sound through my 1000w PA system....