Our bands progressing very slowly, and I think i's because we haven't got a leader, someone who can drive us forward. I write all our songs and have the most musical knowledge, but our drummer is really kinda power crazy and wants to control things all the time, but he's really good at all that. I'm rhythm guitar and lead vocals by the way. So is the fact that we don't have a leader the reason we're going so slowly? Or can we just carry on being a full democracy?
hello
there needs 2 be someone pushing the band 4word and 2 motivate the other. but also everyones opinion should be heard
well how do you feel about it? do you feel that you should start pushing your band forward and see what's going to happen, or do you want to stand back and let others shine in glory?
it's your choice
鋼の錬金術師
Does the drummer want to control the musical direction, or just the organisation of the band, who does what, who carries the amps, and so on? If they want to be an organiser and make the band run smoothly, then let them do that, it's really handy to have someone in control of the mundane day-to-day organisation.

If it's the musical direction, that's more of a problem, given as you're writing the stuff, so just point that out. If he starts writing songs, give them attention, but until then remember that it's your material being played. Don't be a dick, let him have input and listen to it if it's good, but you can't write stuff and then have other people tell you how to deliver it.

I'd say that any band needs some sort of focal personality to organise rehearsals, gigs, and so on, and it also needs someone to be a creative centre. Often they're the same person, but they don't have to be. I'd say that you should let the drummer take control of motivating and driving the band, but don't devolve all decision-making to him, particularly not when it comes to music you've written.
Well, you write the songs, you`re the lead singer and rythm guitarist so I think you`re the frontman. But you can recognise a banleader by that he always motivates the bandmembers and tries to avoid or dissolve arguements. I`m the unoffical bandleader of our band because I`m the only one that knows music theory and stuff. I also motivate them because I really want to write songs and perform.
BUT, your drummer is a control freak andhe`s good in it. So I`ll think your drummer should be it. But you always have to discuss things and everyone can motivate eachother.
Good luck with it.
There should be a person organising the venues, rehearsals etc ( acting as band manager of some sort), but musically, everyone should be working equally as hard, and if they're not, then you're with the wrong people.
But, by all means tell your bandmates to get off their asses and do something, btu don't be a dick going about it.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by opc100
Our bands progressing very slowly, and I think i's because we haven't got a leader, someone who can drive us forward. I write all our songs and have the most musical knowledge, but our drummer is really kinda power crazy and wants to control things all the time, but he's really good at all that. I'm rhythm guitar and lead vocals by the way. So is the fact that we don't have a leader the reason we're going so slowly? Or can we just carry on being a full democracy?

Sounds like you and your drummer are already joint leaders. Which can work just as well as having one leader, as long as you are both willing to let a third party make a decisive vote when you both disagree on something.

In a band, it helps if people are in charge of different stuff, like maybe one person becomes like the musical director (while still being open to suggestions from the rest of the band obviously) and another in charge of booking gigs, and another in charge of transport, and another being responsible for the safety of the bands gear and keeping an inventory of what gear goes to a gig and making sure it all returns.
This way, everyone has their own department to worry about and very rarely bothers anyone else about their department. It makes everyone feel involved in the day to day running of the band, but avoids arguments.

F'rinstance, in my band, I organise the gigs and write the set lists for the gigs, which is then the set list that we rehearse for each gig. (which I suppose kinda makes me the musical director, but as a tribute band, it never involves actualy writing stuff, although me and the bassist have been writing material together for a future project that will involve the exact same line up doing original numbers under a different name) The guitarist organises transport and where and when we rehearse. The drummer's in charge of the bands inventory and the bassist is the guy who delivers posters, ticket books to ticket outlets, basicaly anything that involves driving a car and also generaly does the sound engineering for any support bands we might have.
He also does the sound engineering when we occasionaly hire out our PA.
Everyone has their own department and doesn't step on anyone else's toes, unless someone seriously screws up, in which case, the other three of us take the p!ss without mercy.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 21, 2008,
If your band isnt progressing and you dont have a leader then it probably wouldnt be a bad idea taking a shot at it. Keep in mind that your going to take on the responsibility of planning all your events and rehersals and what not.
Quote by Samzawadi
Does the drummer want to control the musical direction, or just the organisation of the band, who does what, who carries the amps, and so on? If they want to be an organiser and make the band run smoothly, then let them do that, it's really handy to have someone in control of the mundane day-to-day organisation.

If it's the musical direction, that's more of a problem, given as you're writing the stuff, so just point that out. If he starts writing songs, give them attention, but until then remember that it's your material being played. Don't be a dick, let him have input and listen to it if it's good, but you can't write stuff and then have other people tell you how to deliver it.

I'd say that any band needs some sort of focal personality to organise rehearsals, gigs, and so on, and it also needs someone to be a creative centre. Often they're the same person, but they don't have to be. I'd say that you should let the drummer take control of motivating and driving the band, but don't devolve all decision-making to him, particularly not when it comes to music you've written.

One of the best posts I've read... Period.
I'm not big on the idea of band "leaders" (due to power trips and everything having to be their way) especially after a bad experience in a previous band..but I will admit that a lot of times there needs to be someone motivating the rest of the band to progress as others said.
Quote by RadioMuse
One of the best posts I've read... Period.
I agree.

But I think opc meant inspirational leadership, a frontman that motivates the band. Question for you opc, does anyone else in the band think you guys are progressing slowly?

I don't believe you can just step up and become a leader. You're either it or not.

@SlackerBabbath: Sounds like you guys have a smooth operation running there.
Quote by Withakay

@SlackerBabbath: Sounds like you guys have a smooth operation running there.

Yeah, it sounds like it... but it's still little more than controled mayhem whenever we play a gig.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 23, 2008,
Slacker, you wouldn't have an url where I can hear/see some of your stuff by any chance?
Same question to OPC by the way.
Last edited by Withakay at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Withakay
Slacker, you wouldn't have an url where I can hear/see some of your stuff by any chance?

not just yet. we're gonna film some of our stuff in a few practises. and goin into a studio in a few months. just wanna get things perfect beforehand.
hello
Quote by Withakay

Yeah, go to youtube and look for Slack Babbath, you'll probably find a few there.
I've checked out your vids, Slacker. Not bad! You guys play well. The lead guitar is very good in my opinion and you sing in tune, which I value very much in any genre.

I can't say I'm a huge Sabbath fan, but I think they were the defining influence for a new era in Rock, and I can't help but respect that. Seeing you guys have a blast on stage makes me officially jalous. :-)