hi guys, ever since i found out what intonation was about a year ago, my guitar/s have really pissed me off. ive tried .009's and .010 from d'darrio, dunlop, jvb and fender, and none of them keep the high e string intonated. i have quizzed my guitar teacher about this problem (he used to be a guitar tech) and he doesn't know what else could be wrong. i have an Ibanez rgr421 limited edition axe which i got at christmas time. it has a fixed bridge, emg designed pickups, dunno bout the nut or what wood is used, but it seems prestine. btw, i adjust my intonation myself, i know how to loosen the saddle's to shorten from where the string comes over the nut, and my high e saddle is as far as it will go without coming unscrewed. here are some things that i think could be the problem;

pickup height- maybe the magnetism is doing something btw, they are not active's

location of bridge- i.e too far away from wherever its sposed to be

something to do with the truss rod

string thickness or maybe i have just gotten about 5 in a row bad lots of strings

my bad guitar tech skills

tuners

screw on fretboard

amount of times the string is wound

action - which is about 3 mm off the fretboard

fret height-they are jumbo's

reverse head

ibanez manufacturing- i seriousley doubt this

ALL help is appreciated. sorry if there is a dumb answer to this, but it pisses me off soo much. i am most certainly going to go up to .011's

thanks, Lachlan
man i want a new strat....
Lower the action and check the neck relief, then try moving the saddles again. Plug your guitar into a tuner, fret at the 12th on the string you're tuning, then if it's sharp, move the saddle away from the neck.. and if it's flat, move it towards the neck.

Your strings and all of that other crap shouldn't affect the intonation.

Edit: Check here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
Might sound pedantic but you say strings 3mm off fretboard, and jumbo fret wire. Isn't jumbo fret wire over 3mm high?

But just try what MintSauce says.
yer, sorry, its actually 3mm off the frets, and ill try fiddling around with the length and what not. thanks all
man i want a new strat....
Quote by supergerbil
Might sound pedantic but you say strings 3mm off fretboard, and jumbo fret wire. Isn't jumbo fret wire over 3mm high?

But just try what MintSauce says.

Jumbo fret wire is usually 3mm from fret tip to the bottom of the tang. About 1.3mm protrudes past the fretboard surface, and they're usually about ~2.5-2.9mm wide.