Hey guys, I'm trying to play the Sleep Now in the Fire solo by RATM. For anybody who's heard it, Morello uses feedback from an open A string and changes the pitch with a whammy bar and uses a toggle switch. I have an Epiphone Les Paul with no whammy and an old Squier Strat with a whammy bar. I can get the good feedback tone with the Epi, but not with the Strat's stock pickups. When I hold the strat up close to the amp, it gives the microphone-sounding annoying squeak feedback. I can't use the epi for the solo because of the lack of whammy bar. Does anbody know of any way to eliminate the squeak feedback and still get the controlled feedback from the open string? If this is impossible, does anybody know of any good Strat replacement pickups that don't cost much and don't require a new pickguard? Thanks, I know this is long.
no, but i'm installing one today if i can figure out how to get the sound. if i can't i might have to drop like 250 on a new epi bridge for a whammy sometime soon
I was under the impression Morello had hard tail guitars and used a Whammy pedal?

You can get new pickups for your strat, but good ones aren't cheap. Expect to spend at least $50 for a single pickup, assuming it's single coil.
no, he uses the bar for sleep now in the fire. he usually only uses his pedal for fixed positions or songs like killing in the name of when his hands are already occupied playing. I guess the whammy pedal would work for a bad sounding copy, but it just has too much range and its alot harder to control with a hand (i need to kneel down to do this, I can't bring my little cube amp up to chest level). Well could anybody recommend some good Strat replacement pickups that wouldn't cost over, like, 80 or 85 dollars? In the bridge position.
Quote by luuuuuuukee
if i can't i might have to drop like 250 on a new epi bridge for a whammy sometime soon

For one song? Seriously?
Quote by webbtje
For one song? Seriously?

no dude, hahah sleep now in the fire is a prime example of this but I would like to have a whammy bar on a guitar that doesnt sound like **** for a lot of songs. I think I'd rather upgrade my strat though, I feel like I should do something with it since it's been sitting lonely since christmas.
Quote by Danno13
Yeah, I though Sleep Now was with a whammy PEDAL and a killswitch.

The Homeless guitar, which is the one he uses for that song, has a Kahler or an OFR on it, and he uses a killswitch and high gain feed back to get the sound he has.
You can elevate your amp, just put it on a stool or something. You're supposed to have it elevated or angled when you play live anyway.

Solid states are generally unfavored for this kind of feedback but I'm not gonna be an ass that thinks you can't do it unless you have a $1000 tube amp. I used to get desirable feedback with stock MIM strat pickups and a Crate solid state amp, but it did take a lot of experimentation, and as always it does take a lot of volume.

I'm not familiar with the song so I don't know how much whammy action is needed but you can actually push the neck forward to get a drop in pitch, so you can try this with your epi.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman

I'm not familiar with the song so I don't know how much whammy action is needed but you can actually push the neck forward to get a drop in pitch, so you can try this with your epi.

forward as in away, not towards the ground, right? and thanks for not being a jackass about my amp

Quote by imgooley
The Homeless guitar, which is the one he uses for that song, has a Kahler or an OFR on it, and he uses a killswitch and high gain feed back to get the sound he has.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I thought Kahler was strictly tremolo related. For anybody with an answer, I'm not really looking for his pickups because I'm pretty sure they're active. Just an upgrade from stock squier pickups, and they have to be passive.