Currently I own a japanese fender 52 RI Tele, a peavey classic 30 and for effects and boss blues driver. I have heard about these power attenuators which you can crank your amp, get a nice valve tone and not become deaf in the process. Is this true?

I just want to know what types there are, pros and cons about them, prices, is it suitable for me? At the moment it is just practice and jamming but some time soon with a drummer etc.

Suggestions and info please I really don't know anything about these things.
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Yes, it does. I'm not sure if you got what I was saying. Basically I don't want to have to be playing my amp at such a volume that it wakes all the neighbours, but I still want that tone I get from the amp at those high volumes.
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Well for maximum effect you could look into buying a pedal which "boosts" the signal from your guitar, thus distorting the amp further, such as a Tubescreamer pedal. I have heard good and bad about attenuators, eg whilst you play with a decent quantity of distortion at lower volumes the tone is somewhat compromised etc. Marshall do an attenuator called the "Power Brake" but it has somewhat mixed reviews, there are better ones for less out there, look around the web is my advice, find one that looks good and TEST IT OUT before buying
Yes, they exist. Yes, they're a god-send for bedroom players.

Look up a Weber MASS Lite. Should do everything you want, give an awesome tone and more.

The way it works is it goes between your amp and the speaker and effectively turns the volume down. So your amp can be running at full but the speaker is only getting a 'turned down' version.

Some drawbacks are that they run your tubes harder thus they need to be replaced earlier than normal. You'll still get a good year or two out of the tubes.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
What is the price range for the cheaper versions?
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Imo they should build attenuators in any tube amp over 100w. When you play live at a small gig you can never crank it the way it should, especially not with a PA,.
An attenuator allows you to crank the volume to get that great sound without deafening the audience. Even if the attenuator modifies the sound a bit, it's still better than playing a tube amp at lower volumes.
I highly recommend a Weber.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
So weber is one of the more respected brands then. Are there any power attenuators I should look out for. Being dodgy ones that could damage my amp?
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Quote by Pink Zeptallica
So weber is one of the more respected brands then. Are there any power attenuators I should look out for. Being dodgy ones that could damage my amp?

THD Hot Plate, Dr. Z Air Brake, Marshall powerbrake and Weber are all top quality. Don't know any others
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by nirvallica
Look at www.ultimateattenuator.com. They make a 240 volt version

Normally you don't need external power for an attenuator. Well not for the Weber at least.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I suggest that you order your attenuator from America. With the exchange rate the way it is currently, you'll save $200 or so on it, including shipping. Also remember we Australians don't get taxed for anything thats imported if its under $1000. so take advantage of the exchange rate wile you can!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by ECwomantoneman

prices in the UK vary betwenn £200 and £300+

nah man u can get one for a lot cheaper go on www.tubejuiceattenuators.com their decent budget ones. The Dr.Z Air Brake is also a good simple one but more expensive.

If ££s a problem you can make a Dr.Z Air Brake copy for less than $100. Follow the link - it tells you all the product numbers for www.mouser.com apart from the capacitor which i found one to be "75-mkt1822410405" and the jack plugs which i found suitable ones - "502-215j" just put all these in the search bar and itll come up.

http://download.yousendit.com/55C9165E49AA75E

- i plan to make this as soon as i have the time

although if u have the money then +1 to whoever said Weber Mass Lite -the Mass 50 has more features but isnt meant to saound as good.

Or if u want theres a schematic for one on www.freestompboxes.com if u want to try making one buts its looks hard if ur not into DIY. Have a look at the air bake though its really simple to make.

EDIT- o yea i forgot if ur going to make that airbrake the only thing its missing is some brackets to attacch the power resistors to the chassis but they wont b hard to find.
best signature ever
Last edited by fleh at Apr 27, 2008,
^ shouldnt do if u match the impedances right.

how much they get worn down depends on how loud u play them regarless of an attenuator. But to get the same overall volume without an attneuator u wont b wearing them down much but the whole idea is to get the power tube saturation which will wear them down.
best signature ever