Poll: Do you hate tourists/ looking like one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you hate tourists/ looking like one?
Yes
88 78%
No
25 22%
Voters: 113.
I just got back from NYC with a school group and I realised how much I hate the way tourists are. They walk slowly, group together and get in the way of where you are trying to walk, and they sit and gawk at everything. I know that I was there as a tourist, but I did what I could to blend in wheras everyone in my group was getting their pictures taken in front of everything, taking up the walking space (there were 60 of us walking practically side by side and slow as hell).

So what do you think? Do tourists suck?
If it wasn't for tourism economies would suffer. I just hate tourists who are total asses.

Its pretty funny that my family living a thousand miles away has seen more of DC than me who has lived near it all of my life.
Last edited by Chobes at Apr 20, 2008,
I think they're cute. It's quite fun knowing they're so interested in something you're so used to you don't even notice it anymore.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
i ****ing hate those slow tourists!! they think they own the sidewalk . the other day i was walking in my town(bruges) and in front of me there were tourist and then suddenly they stopped! in the middle of the sidewalk! lokking at a souvenir store. and they didn't move closer, no . they just stood there :s . so i bumped in to them on purpouse. and each time there is a couple of clouds at the sky they al have umbrella's . **** i hate that! i mean most of the time it's not even raining and you see that the majority has an umbrulla . and they almost pick your eye out with that thing :s:s i'm really frustrated when i'm surrounded by them!!
I agree with americans being annoying.I'm from scotland,and they come here saying "This is beutiful" when it quite obviously isn't when it's ****ing raining.I also hate looking like one,it makes me feel like a prat.
I dont mind tourists as long as they don't look like total douchebags. You know... the ones that wear the big camera around their necks, out of style hawaiian shirts and gigantic fanny packs on their asses. I'm from Las Vegas, so this is what I see when I go down to the strip...
i hate being a tourist, my family are like 'wow look at that' i just tell them bluntly to shut up, i hate people knowing your a tourist, makes me feel stupid
When I lived in key west me and my friends would go head on with tourists whilst riding on our longboards because they were always in the ****ing way.

I hate them
They are always around college because it's a very historical one, gets annoying when you can't get around quickly or all the seats in the café are taken by tourists.
I'm the only person I know who doesn't hate tourists. What makes them so bad?

I hate people who walk slowly, but that's because I walk quite fast. Tourism has nothing to do with it.
I live by the Lake District. There's always Southerners walking around those parts with all their anoraks and sticks. They always get lost as well even though they use maps whereas I'll go there in my jeans and t-shirt and be fine.
we don't get tourists in my town. i always feel stupid going to big cities and taking pictures and trying to visit all the "tourist hot spots" and stuff.

LOL dudius, when i read your post i was like "no wai! there was a group of 60 people from MY school that went to NYC too! OMG" but then i realized it was you talking about the same group from our school....
When I visit other countries, people don't notice I'm a tourist until I talk.
Or break some crazy law unknowingly..
Quote by Chobes
If it wasn't for tourism economies would suffer. I just hate tourists who are total asses.

Its pretty funny that my family living a thousand miles away has seen more of DC than me who has lived near it all of my life.

That's true. I hate when tourists are annoying but when someone from another place walks up to you randomly when you happen to be at a tourist spot and tells you how great they think it is here, that just feels nice.
Quote by toine
i ****ing hate those slow tourists!! they think they own the sidewalk . the other day i was walking in my town(bruges) and in front of me there were tourist and then suddenly they stopped! in the middle of the sidewalk! lokking at a souvenir store. and they didn't move closer, no . they just stood there :s . so i bumped in to them on purpouse. and each time there is a couple of clouds at the sky they al have umbrella's . **** i hate that! i mean most of the time it's not even raining and you see that the majority has an umbrulla . and they almost pick your eye out with that thing :s:s i'm really frustrated when i'm surrounded by them!!

Dude, I stayed in Bruges a month back. That town kicks ass. Except for the hotel that we stayed in. My room had knife marks on the door and dried blood up the wall.
Tourists can be brilliant. I've had a few great American ones. They're great, they're so complimentary of everything. I can' think of a SINGLE THING about scotland that isn't just 'super' in the eyes of Americans.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Tourists blow. When I go to a new place, I do just as the locals do.

When I'm in NYC, I smoke crack and get a hooker.
When I'm in San Francisco, I drop acid and get a hooker.
When I'm in Amsterdam, I smoke pot and get a hooker.
When I'm in Rome, I hook a Roman...

What?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Chobes

Haha, I know exactly how that is. I lived in the area for 16 years and I still need a map to get to union station.

We're all in the gutter, but I'm looking at the rats.
I live in Oxford. I don't hate tourists, but it's frustrating when you can't go out and take photos without looking like one, or get a table in your local cause it just happened to have been frequented by JRR Tolkein and CS Lewis in the past. It's also annoying during exam time, because you BECOME a tourist attraction...
Ceci n'est pas une signature
I live in the BIGGEST tourest town EVER. There are 15,378 people actually LIVING in this city. in the summer it multiplies about 15 I believe. The boardwalk is PACKED. the beach is PACKED. EVERY SINGLE ****ING PERSON ANYWHERE IS A SHOOBIE. Seriously, they piss me off so much
every single local hates every one of them. During the summer, many people get in fights with them every day. It's also fair game to rob them ect. Not even kidding we get brutal in the summer we try letting them no they ARE NOT wanted here. at all.
Quote by PTfan
I live in the BIGGEST tourest town EVER. There are 15,378 people actually LIVING in this city. in the summer it multiplies about 15 I believe. The boardwalk is PACKED. the beach is PACKED. EVERY SINGLE ****ING PERSON ANYWHERE IS A SHOOBIE. Seriously, they piss me off so much
every single local hates every one of them. During the summer, many people get in fights with them every day. It's also fair game to rob them ect. Not even kidding we get brutal in the summer we try letting them no they ARE NOT wanted here. at all.

Squid! You're such a shoobie!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by sashki

That was the funniest thing I've read in a while now.

I'm here all week.
Quote by shattamakar

I hate american tourists in Vietnam when I visit my family there. They think no one understands their language and refer to us as Chinks.
Then I yell at them in english and they run off.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Sooopo
Dude, I stayed in Bruges a month back. That town kicks ass. Except for the hotel that we stayed in. My room had knife marks on the door and dried blood up the wall.

lol :d:d bruges is a beautiful town yes , but the tourists man pfft ^^
Quote by strat335
we don't get tourists in my town. i always feel stupid going to big cities and taking pictures and trying to visit all the "tourist hot spots" and stuff.

LOL dudius, when i read your post i was like "no wai! there was a group of 60 people from MY school that went to NYC too! OMG" but then i realized it was you talking about the same group from our school....

haha, its a small world after all

but i do understand that some places thrive on tourism. i live in michigan which has Mackinaw Island which has maybe 30 people that actually live there, if even. i do laugh everytime our governor talks about michigan being a tourist state, though. we dont have much for tourism, people would rather visit Hawaii or LA, not the little hick-towns in Michigan.
Last edited by dudius at Apr 20, 2008,
Yeah it's ok to bitch and all, but without tourism jobs would be lost and a lot of us would be homeless
Around here they're called Bennys (well, the ones from north Jersey and New York are) I don't mind them, but sometimes they can be annoying as fuck.

EDIT:
Quote by walkinbazooka
I'm here all week.

Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
i don't mind being a tourist, it's kinda hard for me to say if i've ever looked like one. i don't like the rude/annoying ones though.
Tourists can be really annoying, but they can also be cool. I try to act like a local when I go somewhere else, it makes me feel weird being a tourist. The other thing I hate is when locals are really unfriendly though. That's why I hate going surfing at some places, everyone is so unfriendly and just cuts you off and gives you dirty looks.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Sounds like a lot of people are haters.

I don't have a problem with tourists unless they are disrespectful of the environment.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by PTfan

I'm surprised that many people would want to go to Arkansas at all.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by CFH82
Around here they're called Bennys (well, the ones from north Jersey and New York are) I don't mind them, but sometimes they can be annoying as fuck.

EDIT:

I should definitely be a stand up comedian.
Quote by shattamakar

Lol I don't hate them, but I think they can be incredibly obnoxious. It's like you watch a programme like "Benidorm" and think, nah, it's just comedy. Then you go to Benidorm and meet people exactly like them.

I blend in quite well though. I remember we went to Benidorm, into the old town and into this wee obscure sweet shop. My mum, brother and sister all went up to the counter and bought stuff, and the shopkeeper spoke away to them in English. They left the shop, and I went up to the counter, and he immediately started speaking to me in Spanish lmao. Also, a girl approached me and started trying to speak to me in Spanish. I said "What? I don't speak Spanish." she said "Oh, right" and as it turned out she was also from Scotland lmao. Yeah, we hooked up. Anyway...