Alright so i'm messing around with the scales i know.. and making them different, adding flats, making flats major, accidentals etc etc. so while i was messing around with this, i figured i'd try playing the A Aeolian scale with an additional flat 3rd..

so starting off the scale is..
A B C D E F G
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

but when i try with a b3, how do i flatten a C? since there isn't a fret in between the C and B notes? Help please?
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
A to C is already b3

if you added another flat you'd have a diminished third
yeah C is the minor third of a, if you flatten that again you will be left with b....which you already have!
oh.. ok.
so i'd play that just like a regular A aeolian scale?
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
alright.
i get it now..
and just so long as i already have a thread going.. i'll ask another question.
i was just messing around with accidental's, and i added to A aeolian a C# on just the 5th string 4th fret.. but then i decided i'd make a scale out of it, replacing the C with the C# everywhere on the fretboard.

so instead of..
A B C D E F G
it's..
A B C# D E F G
and it has a really exotic feel to it, and i don't know what the scale is called, or how to use it, can anyone help me there?
Quote by ch715dallat
oh thanks, i can figure it out from there.
Quote by ch715dallat
^what?
Quote by ch715dallat
Quote by Grouch
yeah C is the minor third of a, if you flatten that again you will be left with b....which you already have!

No. You'd have Cb.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Correct, but the idea of having B and Cb in the same scale is hilarious, to me at least.

Yes, it's certainly odd - I was giving an example so that we wouldn't have "Cb is just B" again.
(See signature for such an idea)
Quote by :-D
Yes, it's certainly odd - I was giving an example so that we wouldn't have "Cb is just B" again.
Right-o.

Quote by :-D
(See signature for such an idea)
I love your sig, but I hope it doesn't mislead people.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I love your sig, but I hope it doesn't mislead people.

If anything, it leads people to correct me; there was one gentleman who took it upon himself to inform me that there ARE such notes as B# and E#!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
How silly. Those notes don't exist. Come on, D, that's very basic music theory.

I still have to get used to you using my last name, it seems strange.

And yes, I had to promptly correct him.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
How silly. Those notes don't exist. Come on, D, that's very basic music theory.

B#?

how do you play an augmented second up from A?

E#?
how do you play a diminished third down from G?

and if you've got a scale with a diminished third, chances are you don't have a major 2nd in it anymore