Hey guys.
I need your opinion on that.
As of yet I've been using Roland Cube 60, but as I want to get DiMarzio Evos and PAF Pro and I don't want to have such modulated, artificial sound.

So what I have to do in order to get such sound is to buy a good, strong amp to get such sound and plug in some multieffects.
The max. limit for amp is say $900.
I guess that there are 2 main conditions: it most be over 60W and it must have tonal balance as after plugging multieffect it should be fully capable of tonal changes.
What type of music do you play?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Why does it have to be over 60watt?
Depends whether you have a solid state or a tube amp, a 50w tube amp can blow a 100w solid state out the water.
Have a look into peavy and laney, be worth having a look over,
I play through a laney GH50L, its 50watt, its got great versatility. and there's no need to be any bigger, tube amps sound better when they're being played on full anyway
60W is believed to be just an amount of power that allows you to play live in big places that require a loud sound.
I would say look into a used tube amp, like TomR said.

Try looking for a used 5150, or maybe a Laney combo. Perhaps even a Randall.
--

--
And how about Marshalls?
BTW:What is a tube amp and what company does 5150 refer to?
Quote by Shadowy
And how about Marshalls?
BTW:What is a tube amp and what company does 5150 refer to?

Errrrr................. I'm not really an electronics man, so you'll have to call in KurtLives or someone else to really explain the difference.

Basically, a tube amp uses tubes (which are also called valves). They're the glowing glass bottles that you see in old tvs. They sound more natural than a solid state amp. That's about all I'm good for . Get someone else to really explain it to you...

5150 is a head made by Peavey.

As far as Marshalls go, you could always look for a used JCM800/900 I suppose.

EDIT: But, the easiest way to go is to look at a combo amp (a standard amp, has speakers mounted in it, you know). Easier to transport.

A Randall RG50 might would do you good. You could look for a used Peavey Classic 30. Apparently they'll do metal with a boost.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 20, 2008,
It seem I need some serious amp-knowledge lessons.
I've seen heads connected with one or two biggger speakers underneath.
Or will the head alone deliver as good sound as the "big looking" amp?
Quote by Shadowy
It seem I need some serious amp-knowledge lessons.
I've seen heads connected with one or two biggger speakers underneath.
Or will the head alone deliver as good sound as the "big looking" amp?

Umm. A head has no speakers. It needs to be connected to a cab. A cab(inet) usually has 1, 2 or 4 speakers, usually 12 (or 10) inches big. But anyway, a head and two 412 cabinets (as in, 4 speakers each 12 inches) is called a full stack - it's really too big for anything reasonable. A half stack is one 412 cab and a head. The difference between a combo (where the head and the speakers are built together), 212 cab, 412 cab or even two 412 cabs is pretty small. There's a difference of course, but the big drawbacks (weight, size) outpower them usually.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Apr 20, 2008,
So if I bought for example this Laney GH50L I would have to buy a cab aswell or is it somehow included?
Sorry for such a sillly questions but I've never been into it that much.
(At least I know I've got combo now with built in multieffects).
Quote by Shadowy
So if I bought for example this Laney GH50L I would have to buy a cab aswell or is it somehow included?
Sorry for such a sillly questions but I've never been into it that much.
(At least I know I've got combo now with built in multieffects).

That depends on whether it's a combo or a head. For some amps there are both versions. Sometimes you see a head sold together with cabinets (used or even in online stores), but otherwise you have to buy them separately. So if you buy a Laney GH50L head, yes, you need to buy a separate cab to go with it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
So I'd have to buy for example http://www.dv247.com/invt/35559/ to make it work with head?
Sounds hell a lot of expensive.
Can't I buy 1-2 cabs and plug them directly into multieffect?

Couldn't I plug Flor Pod XT into this?
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-MARAT100X.html

All I want to get is good sound from DiMarzio Evos combined with new amp.
I've been told that Roland cube 60 won't show me the difference beetween a stock pick ups and DiMarzios.
Last edited by Shadowy at Apr 20, 2008,
You can buy the GH50L in combo form.
and yes half stacks (the head and a cab) is more expensive, but there's more low end when playing. It depends what it is you want, for metal, heavy rock etc, a head and cab are generally used to get the lower end. For lighter rock a combo is used.
Thats the general rule, but there are obviously exceptions.

*Edit*
Quote by Shadowy

Couldn't I plug Flor Pod XT into this?
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-MARAT100X.html

All I want to get is good sound from DiMarzio Evos combined with new amp.
I've been told that Roland cube 60 won't show me the difference beetween a stock pick ups and DiMarzios.

you can do that, but the AVT is just a valve version of the MG to be honest
It won't be any better than your roland cube for showing the effects of new pickup.
And you really see any improvement of tone when using multi effects pedals, well depends on what one your using.
Last edited by TomR at Apr 20, 2008,
As I play instrumental metal I'd focus on head+cab than/then (forgot which one is the right one here).
But you say that I can buy GH50L in combo form. Does it mean that there is a combo with GH50L speaker inside or that there are somewhere a packs of GH50L+cab?
I just want to plug Ibanez RG2620 with DiMarzios and feel the difference...
Quote by Shadowy
As I play instrumental metal I'd focus on head+cab than/then (forgot which one is the right one here).
But you say that I can buy GH50L in combo form. Does it mean that there is a combo with GH50L speaker inside or that there are somewhere a packs of GH50L+cab?
I just want to plug Ibanez RG2620 with DiMarzios and feel the difference...

Ok, i am mistaken, i thought you could buy the GH50 as a combo (speakers and head together as one) but turns out you can't.
It only comes as a head, there are cheaper heads and cheaper cabs out there, but i picked mine up fairly cheap 2nd hand off ebay.
How do I connect them?
Isn't there ANY other way to hear the difference beetween pups without spending 537945789034 dollars on proffessional head+speaker setup?
Last edited by Shadowy at Apr 20, 2008,
A lead from the back of the head to the back of the cab

You can mix different manufacturers with heads and cabs. but there are two things you have to consider.
firstly decide on your head, always pick this first. Then when picking a cab, you just have to ensure that the wattage of the cab is equal or greater than the head,
and the ohms of the cab match the ohms of the cab.
When looking at descriptions on the internet it will state both on there, or if looking in shops, the staff will be able to tell you them.

*Edit*
Also, don't rule out combo's completley, some can achieve the sound just not many.
Somebody mentioned the Randall RG50, take a look at that
&
Check 2nd hand amps, there are some bargains out there, nearly new that people just don't like.
Last edited by TomR at Apr 20, 2008,
I hate when everything becomes so f***ing complicated.
All I wanted to do is choose the best pups and now I end up on buying professional head+cabinet guitar system + multieffect to generate any other sound.........
Quote by Shadowy
I hate when everything becomes so f***ing complicated.
All I wanted to do is choose the best pups and now I end up on buying professional head+cabinet guitar system + multieffect to generate any other sound.........

Who said you needed a head & cabinet? Nobody as far as I can tell...you want a COMBO.

And you didn't really want pickups - you wanted to improve your tone, you just mistakenly believed that pickups were the way to do it.

Traynor YCV50 Blue is well worth looking at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I wanted new pups as they are suppposed to give me better sound than the stock ones.
That's the only thing I'm sure of.
But then a few people told me that on modulating amp I won't hear the difference so I've decided to replace amp with something else.
I wouldn't like to spend fortune on it-I want a 100W amp with good tonal balance so that after pluging multieffect into it I will hear the difference in sound.
Okay, Shadowy.

My advice to you is this.

Look around on guitar websites, eBay, craigslist, etc... for a used tube combo.

You honestly do not need a halfstack (head plus cabinet).

I suggest this: Tube Combos

Since you're looking for metal, stay away from Fenders. The Peavey Classic 50 will work perfectly if you put an overdrive/distortion in front of it.

Hope that helped and took away some confusion.

And + 1 to Steven Seagull's suggestion.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 20, 2008,
So that tube combo amp with floor POD Plus will let me hear the DiMarzio's sound well, right?
That looks much more reasonable than having 3 metres high speakers in room.

BTW:How this Crate VFX5212T comparises to this Peavey Classic 50?
I'm guessing you have a Floor Pod already. Correct? If so, then yeah. It'll color your signal a little, but it will still sound great. And you really don't need new pickups, although they will breath new life into the amp that you end up getting.

And as for the two amps, if it was me, I would get the C50. Just because the effects on the VFX5212 might color your signal.

BUT: If you have the opportunity to test them, try them both out and see which one you like the best.
--

--
Quote by Shadowy
So that tube combo amp with floor POD Plus will let me hear the DiMarzio's sound well, right?
That looks much more reasonable than having 3 metres high speakers in room.

BTW:How this Crate VFX5212T comparises to this Peavey Classic 50?

It's appalling, buy a Traynor.

This isn't about making your future pickups sound good, this is about achieving the improvement in tone that you wanted.

You need to stop obsessing about pickups and focus on what's actually important here - save up for a new amp, then get the new amp. That will improve your tone immensely. Then, if you feel there's something still lacking you might want to look at pickups to tweak things, however they aren't as important in the greater scheme of things than you seem to think they are.

The floor pod isn't even that much of a factor.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
It's appalling, buy a Traynor.

This isn't about making your future pickups sound good, this is about achieving the improvement in tone that you wanted.

You need to stop obsessing about pickups and focus on what's actually important here - save up for a new amp, then get the new amp. That will improve your tone immensely. Then, if you feel there's something still lacking you might want to look at pickups to tweak things, however they aren't as important in the greater scheme of things than you seem to think they are.

The floor pod isn't even that much of a factor.

Please, just listen to steven. I'm pretty sure he knows more of what he's talking about than anyone else that has posted in this thread.

And stop telling the boy to obsess over Traynors

He could very well get away with that C50 as well.
--

--
The C50 is good granted, but the Traynor's got a little more gain on tap.

Of course, I wouldn't advocate buying any of these things without trying them first
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The C50 is good granted, but the Traynor's got a little more gain on tap.

Of course, I wouldn't advocate buying any of these things without trying them first

Aren't the Traynors like higher-gain Marshalls? That's what I've been told, at least.

And yeah, you're right. TS, try before buying! If you can, of course.
--

--
Then I will buy that C50 when I get money for it and for Floor POD.
BTW: Do you know that this amp costs in your country 2 times less than the same amp in my country?
Polish prices sucks totaly...for a person who hasn't got any family in USA to send it to him from there.
Quote by Shadowy
Then I will buy that C50 when I get money for it and for Floor POD.
BTW: Do you know that this amp costs in your country 2 times less than the same amp in my country?
Polish prices sucks totaly...for a person who hasn't got any family in USA to send it to him from there.

ok, this is probably the first time you've actually mentioned that you're in Poland...we're not mind readers y'know. I wouldn't have recommended any of the stuff I did if you'd said where you were...if somebody lists their budget in $ then I'm naturally going to assume that their in the US.

See if you can find a Laboga dealer near you.

http://www.laboga.pl/

Honestly, if people would just give you a teensy little bit of information you can save a hell of a lot of time.

As far as pickups go you might want to forget Dimarzios and look at Merlin.

http://www.merlinpickups.com/
[EDIT] eek, maybe forget the Laboga, by my calculations they're hella expensive

...wasn't expecting that at all!

Given the kind of stuff you want to play a Valveking is probably your best bet.
http://www.ragtime.com.pl/product-pol-1754-PEAVEY-ValveKing-112.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 21, 2008,
I see you're Polish aswell so you know that pain to with any kind of gear getting.
I've got a family in USA that will gladly allow me to save up 2000zl on that C50 and will send it here.
It may get hurt a bit during transport (Ibanez RG2620 I want to buy comes in strong case so I don't worry about it) but overal it's $800-900 back in my pocket.
Anyway I see that this Valveking is a tube amp aswell, but paying 300zl ($136) more I will get C50 that in Poland costs 4000zl ($1800).

This Valveking hasn't got best reviews aswell....
But 212 is regarded to be much better xD.
Last edited by Shadowy at Apr 22, 2008,
Look at ENGL Screamer Combo 3400zł in Poland (Vanax-Kielce) and my fried have one for sale U can write on gg:1067098(my number) if U are interested

Also I saw Evo2 and Paf on allegro in the same price than Merlin so U can buy them (and If U want merli I have set Hellfire Legend and strat middle)

Greets!
Musza