So I've been looking into getting a guitar built for a while, so I thought I'd try for a few quotes on what I want, so here it goes:

Body: Mahogany, shaped similarly to the ESP Horizon III's.

Carved top and stringthru, one master volume, one master tone and maybe a killswitch. Finish maybe something along the lines of a dark stained mahogany.

Pickups would be a standard HH configuration, undecided as of yet what they'd be but they wouldn't be actives.

Neck: 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale and either set neck or neck thru with the same dimensions as the Ibanez Wizard II and one inlay on the 12th fret which I'd decide on later.

Any advice on the would be great and suggestions on where to look for a luthier would be great.
Funny words.
Get a switch, unless you wanna be in the middle position the whole time :/
ask in the place you are going to get it built
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i think a more appropriate way to approach this would be instead of asking around here how much people would charge for that guitar, ask yourself how much you are willing to spend. it's never cheap to get a custom built guitar, but once you know your personal price range i'm sure people here can use that to push in the right direction to a luthier that can help you.
Yeah, I forget that part, a 3 way selector switch.

And I can't ask in the place where I'm going to get it built because I don't know where I'm going to get it built, this is just me "warming up" so I can get some rough ideas.

EDIT: To rednwhiteblues: I'd probably be willing to spend upwards to a grand, but to be honest I'm not sure on the going rate, plus one luthier could ask for £500, another could want double that for the same job, so I don't really know what is a reasonable limit for myself.
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Apr 20, 2008,
i'd say £500 is a bit low for a custom, but 1000 could be about right depending on who you go to. check out this link, it has links to a bunch of different luthier companies, you can email some of them whose guitars you like after perusing their site, and give them your idea and probably get a pretty quick (although very rough) estimate for the build.
If you have a $300 budget, im sure you can find someone to build that guitar for you.
If you have $3000 budget, im sure you can find someone better to build that guitar for you.

Its all relative. The materials cost the same whoever builds it. The component quality is the same. The difference is the experience, and craftsmanship. How much of THAT can you afford?

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
If you have a $300 budget, im sure you can find someone to build that guitar for you.
If you have $3000 budget, im sure you can find someone better to build that guitar for you.

Its all relative. The materials cost the same whoever builds it. The component quality is the same. The difference is the experience, and craftsmanship. How much of THAT can you afford?

Could Perry be asking if you wanted a custom build off him here?

I'd probably say about a £1000'ish.
Probably a have a fair bit to wait for it though.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Since your in England, PM jscustomguitars and get him to give you a quote, hes a sexy muther fudger!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'd do it for around £700 for a basic one depending on spec. Heres one I've done thats simular to what your after-

click on the link to my site at the bottom to see some more

I usually ask for the deposit covering the cost of all parts and wood then ask for the remainder of the money on delivery or collection. You'd be more than welcome to come over and try some guitars I've made and also come over when I carve the neck so I can get it just right for you. Im in North Nottinghamshire by the way
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by ormsby guitars
You could be right!!

But paragraph four here kinda blows your theory
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826133&page=1&pp=20

Haha, still your work ceases (Spelt right? I am a avid speller!) to amaze me, much like JS's work.
Both amazing, we need to see more!
Haha.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Thanks for the compliment but I wouldnt put myself in the same class as Perry just yet, give me a year or 10 lol!
Quote by jscustomguitars
Thanks for the compliment but I wouldnt put myself in the same class as Perry just yet, give me a year or 10 lol!

Haha, Perry has some class to his instrument making, I admit.
Both are you are talented with wood-working though.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
So I've been looking into getting a guitar built for a while, so I thought I'd try for a few quotes on what I want, so here it goes:

Body: Mahogany, shaped similarly to the ESP Horizon III's.

Carved top and stringthru, one master volume, one master tone and maybe a killswitch. Finish maybe something along the lines of a dark stained mahogany.

Pickups would be a standard HH configuration, undecided as of yet what they'd be but they wouldn't be actives.

Neck: 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale and either set neck or neck thru with the same dimensions as the Ibanez Wizard II and one inlay on the 12th fret which I'd decide on later.

Any advice on the would be great and suggestions on where to look for a luthier would be great.

I'd charge you £50, because it'd be utter wank

For a one-off custom job, assuming fairly standard materials and hardware I'd have a budget of around a grand in mind.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com