Just wondered are ply guitar bodies really bad? just seems like a low quality wood anyone know what there like ?
Depends on the ply really, the stuff they use in crappy guitars doesn't transmit vibrations well, but I made a guitar out of high-quality ply sounded great and had amazing sustain. You really get what you pay for, I paid as much for that ply as I would have for an alder blank.

FYI, wrong category - this should be in GB&C.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
It looks like a copy, such as an Agile. Don't buy that, you could get a new Agile for maybe 60-70 quid, and the one you're looking at has no parts and no neck.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
it isn't inherently bad, no. you can make a great sounding guitar out of ply and a crappy guitar out of AAA mahogany or whatever. but if i were making a guitar, i wouldn't buy a ply body, simply because you can get ones that aren't ply that will probably be better for the same sort of cost.

as for that guitar, its from a copy, obviously. i don't know if its ply or not. could be.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
seems they have sold them before stating they are gibson with good feedback, its a kind of project i will be buying a neck and electrics my self later on as well as sanding down and re painting it. i just wanted to know the quality of the wood/body as to be sure its not going to sound really bad but theres not much there to ID it i guess
it will probably suck.
Singlecut boltons seem odd to me too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
so its a cheap copy thatll sound bad? or u guys just comparing it to top of the range quality?
Quote by InfernoUk
so its a cheap copy thatll sound bad? or u guys just comparing it to top of the range quality?

no.
It probably sounds bad.
Meaning plywood quality. Its probably made out of similar wood to what your house is made of, to compare qualities.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
right, any idea where i can buy a good quality body of the same style to avoid copies?
Quote by InfernoUk
seems they have sold them before stating they are gibson with good feedback, its a kind of project i will be buying a neck and electrics my self later on as well as sanding down and re painting it. i just wanted to know the quality of the wood/body as to be sure its not going to sound really bad but theres not much there to ID it i guess

it definitely isn't a gibson. read the listing. it says it is for a 'gibson style les paul' (my italics). that means it is not a gibson. that doesn't mean its automatically bad. but it isn't a gibson.

there isn't anything wrong with buying the body from a copy, but the trouble with things like this is that you know absolutely nothing about the body; i mean, even when they do claim that the body is from a certain company it almost always very difficult to actually verify that, and when they don't say anything there's just nothing to go on. nothing at all. plenty of people make money by buying fucked guitars for next to nothing, stripping the bodies and selling them to saps who are making parts guitars.

basically, it might suck or it might not. there's no way of knowing. but even if it does suck, it probably won't affect your results that much. it won't make it impossible for you to get a decent tone or decent sustain.

in short, its probably a crappy body. but if you're going to skimp on a build, there are worse places to do it than with the body imo.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
i figure ill wait and buy quality parts, ill delay till summer when i have alot more money to buy good parts, does anyone know where i can buy quality LP body blanks ? or is it best to do it my self
Its only like $60(GBP) for shipping and no, I don't know of a UK supplier.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by InfernoUk
+ import tax's...

The body would cost you around 250-300GBP, shipping plus an extra 100GBP for taxes and shipping. I'm just giving you the information, not trying to sound like a dick.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
The body would cost you around 250-300GBP, shipping plus an extra 100GBP for taxes and shipping. I'm just giving you the information, not trying to sound like a dick.

sorry had to go, an an ellipses is grammar not really violent or abusive, thanks for the info but i could find a cheaper UK retailer for that kind of price

anyone else know of UK based retailers? otherwise ill cut it my self for that price