Hey peoples. Any of you guys know anything about Gibson Explorer Studios? I have an opportunity to pick one up for $500. It has some cosmetic damage on the lower side of the body and comes with a HSC. I am not sure if I started learning guitar when these models were discontinued so I don't know much about them so any info would be nice.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Like an Explorer but a little smaller. Has a flame top, neck and body binding as well. Gibson 500T and 496R pickups.

It's about ninety percent of an actual Explorer, size wise.

EDIT: Disregard. Thought we were talking about the pro model.

It's the same thing as this, just without the top and binding.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Like an Explorer but a little smaller. Has a flame top, neck and body binding as well. Gibson 500T and 496R pickups.

It's about ninety percent of an actual Explorer, size wise.

A Studio model has a flame top, and neck and body binding? The regular Explorers never had that as far as I know... after they discontinued the Studio, did they introduce the Explorer Pro?
Quote by Habit Zero
A Studio model has a flame top, and neck and body binding? The regular Explorers never had that as far as I know... after they discontinued the Studio, did they introduce the Explorer Pro?

Oh the STUDIO!?

Take away the flame top and the binding.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh the STUDIO!?

Take away the flame top and the binding.

I thought there was a mix up :P

Studio models in general are ... not well regarded, is this also an unloved model?
Quote by Habit Zero
I thought there was a mix up :P

Studio models in general are ... not well regarded, is this also an unloved model?

Well it IS discontinued for a reason.

No, they aren't really bad guitars. They sound like their contemporaries. They're just smaller.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Hey peoples. Any of you guys know anything about Gibson Explorer Studios? I have an opportunity to pick one up for $500. It has some cosmetic damage on the lower side of the body and comes with a HSC. I am not sure if I started learning guitar when these models were discontinued so I don't know much about them so any info would be nice.

Get it! If you don't mind the Basswood body.

It was discontinued 2005: http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/xfactor/dsxs.html

The X-plorer Studio brings a wider variety of finishes and a new level of affordability to guitarists who have embraced the slightly scaled-down body size. The X-plorer Studio's body is 90 percent of the classic Gibson Explorer, which makes for a more balanced, ergonomic fit with the player. Features include two high-output ceramic mini-humbuckers, a basswood body, mahogany neck with a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard, and chrome hardware. Includes Gibson USA hardshell case.

Gibson Mini-Humbucker
When Gibson introduced the Les Paul Deluxe in 1969, it incorporated the mini-humbucker which had only been available on certain Gibson-made Epiphone models. With its smaller size, narrow magnetic field and unique design combination, the mini-humbucker produces bright and focused output, while retaining the famous Gibson humbucker performance.

The X-plorer features a vintage replica of the original mini-humbucker, with adjustable pole pieces and bar Alnico II magnets.
Technical Info
Specifications

Manufactured in: Nashville, TN

Body: Basswood

Neck:
- Species: Mahogany
- Peghead Pitch: 17 in.
- Thickness at 1st fret: .800 in.
- Thickness at 12th fret: .850 in.
- Heel Length: .625 in.
- Neck Joint Location: 19th Fret

Fingerboard:
- Species: Rosewood
- Scale Length: 24 3/4 in.
- Total Length: 18.137 in.
- Number of Frets: 22
- Nut Width: 1.687 in.
- Width at 12th Fret: 2.062 in.
- Inlays: Dot

Hardware:
- Plating Finish: Chrome
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Bridge: Tune-o-matic
- Knobs: Black Speed Knobs
- Tuners: 'Grover'

Electronics:
- Neck Pickup: Ceramic Mini-Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: Ceramic Mini-Humbucker

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go and check out the Explorer and see if I like it or not. I think the price of $500 is ok even with the cosmetic damage.

Here are the damage pics:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4104/87115263yh5.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6556/84625845da5.jpg
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Anyone know what it originally sold for? The regular Explorer and Explorer Pros go for just about $1000, so a Studio may have gone for... $800? $700? For an older discontinued model, I suppose $500 is pretty good.
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Thanks for the info guys. I'll go and check out the Explorer and see if I like it or not. I think the price of $500 is ok even with the cosmetic damage battle scars.

Here are the damage battle scars/pics: ...

*fixed*

Quote by Habit Zero
Anyone know what it originally sold for? The regular Explorer and Explorer Pros go for just about $1000, so a Studio may have gone for... $800? $700? For an older discontinued model, I suppose $500 is pretty good.

Thats what I'm thinking. I'll check it out this week if the guy still has it and I may or may not buy it. I've never been a Gibson guy but this peeked my interest.

Quote by Ippon
*fixed*

Thanks Ippon. Battle scars does sound alot better then cosmetic damage at this point lol.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem