Okay, this could apply to guitar too but I'm a bass player so I'm putting this here.

So onto the problem. Whenever I'm playing shows it's usually pretty hot from the combination of the lights, stuffy bulilding, and rocking out in general. I start sweating and my hands start sweating too. As the set progresses, my fingers start slipping and sliding around on the fretboard causing me to start missing notes and messing up. It's extremely frustrating!

Anyone else deal with this at all? Do i just suck it up? or is there a way around this perhaps?

Love the Low end
Suck it up.. Or have a hanky er small towel on stage to wipe your hands on (maybe one of those rubber towels divers have sooz you don't have those little things all over your hands from totwels and ****...
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Rub your jeans for a quick second during liek a break down or a riff where the bass isn't completely necessary. Or brign a small towel and keep it on your amp. At the end of every song have a quick wipe down xD
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
No one is going to kill you for wiping down between songs mate.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Chris how bad will you feel if he does get killed for wiping his hands? I grant you it's unlikely, but it could happen.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
rubbing alcohol does absolute wonders.

I use antibacterial hand gel, it doesn't dry your hands out as much as rubbing alcohol, and seems to do the trick.
Quote by anarkee
I use antibacterial hand gel, it doesn't dry your hands out as much as rubbing alcohol, and seems to do the trick.

If he's complaining of sweat, wouldn't he want drier hands?

pleasedon'tbanme.

Usually at smaller shows, I see guitarists using hand towels to dry off, then rub down the neck of their guitar. Seems to work for them. I don't really sweat badly, so I don't know what to tell you.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
If he's complaining of sweat, wouldn't he want drier hands?

pleasedon'tbanme.

Usually at smaller shows, I see guitarists using hand towels to dry off, then rub down the neck of their guitar. Seems to work for them. I don't really sweat badly, so I don't know what to tell you.

Good god, man if that's all it took to get banned around here, I'd be sitting here listening to the sounds of crickets.

Actually--Purell and the other hand santizers are made of 65% rubbing alcohol with other ingredients. It'll keep your hands dry but not turn them into a desert. At least for me, I want dry but not cracked skin.
I saw some video of Jeff Beck playing and it looked like he was putting talcum powder on his hands. I don't know if it was for sweat though.
Got Bass?
Sweating used to be a big problem for me. Just bring a small towel. I used one which I used when I was a baby. Bigger than a flannel, but didn't take up much space.
If you find yourself unintentionally sliding, you need to raise the bass to above your knees and practice "the proper" fretting technique. That'll help keep your fingers "put."

However, am I the only one whose fingers get too grippy when I sweat? My problem isn't that my hands are too slidy - they're not slidy enough (especially the picking hand).

And people always look at me funny when I'm in the bathroom putting Astro-Glide on my right index and middle fingers before a gig...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

However, am I the only one whose fingers get too grippy when I sweat? My problem isn't that my hands are too slidy - they're not slidy enough (especially the picking hand).

I get really grippy when I sweat. and then I'm off beat, causing drums to get off, and the whole band stops and stares at me.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
I get really grippy when I sweat. and then I'm off beat, causing drums to get off, and the whole band stops and stares at me.

If you're a finger-picker and your picking hand gets too grippy from sweat, just wipe your picking fingers on the side of your nose. It might seem a little gross for the germophobes out there but it works wonders I promise. I've never noticed it dirtying up my strings faster than normal either.
haha, thanks for all the replies.
I sort of dealt with it by using the shirt i was wearing to wipe down the neck. It was just so annoying when i had to do it every 5 minutes.

and thefitz, I wear my bass right on my stomache, but i do admit that my fretting technique is sloppy. Never had a "proper" instructer when starting out, but if you could throw some advice or anything on good technique then I'd be really eager to know.

I'm allways trying to improve

Love the Low end
Tom Delonge: Hey i think im getting sweaty!.... contrary to what most people think i believe i look better wet... iv been campaigning this for about 2 years now. so as the show goes on you will see me getting sexier and sexier as it gets hotter and hotter :]
Quote by Zeelod
and thefitz, I wear my bass right on my stomache, but i do admit that my fretting technique is sloppy. Never had a "proper" instructer when starting out, but if you could throw some advice or anything on good technique then I'd be really eager to know.

The "proper" technique I like to nickname "The Crunchwrap Supreme" since I hold both the neck of my bass and the said wrap the same way (and I also eat them both).

Basically, it involves having only the thumb be touching the back of the neck like a pivot point. Always have one finger per fret, and most importantly, have your fingers resting perpendicular to the strings/parallel to the frets. That way, when you fret, you're fretting with your fingers pushing directly against your thumb (if the neck wasn't there) - kinda like trying to catch a falling piece of paper without crumpling it. Crab claw kinda thing. None of this John Mayer "thumb over the fretboard" nonsense.

EDIT:

Excuse the crappy Microsoft Paint job there, but that's the idea.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
The "proper" technique I like to nickname "The Crunchwrap Supreme" since I hold both the neck of my bass and the said wrap the same way (and I also eat them both).

Basically, it involves having only the thumb be touching the back of the neck like a pivot point. Always have one finger per fret, and most importantly, have your fingers resting perpendicular to the strings/parallel to the frets. That way, when you fret, you're fretting with your fingers pushing directly against your thumb (if the neck wasn't there) - kinda like trying to catch a falling piece of paper without crumpling it. Crab claw kinda thing. None of this John Mayer "thumb over the fretboard" nonsense.

haha that sounds good thanks. hmm, I think it's mainly because i don't keep the one finger per fret rule all the time, and i'l lay my fingers more flat sometimes instead of curled.
It's hard sometimes because the tips of my fingers are really skinny, but i'll definitely work on it.

Love the Low end
Quote by thefitz

EDIT:

Excuse the crappy Microsoft Paint job there, but that's the idea.

A good diagram... though I have to admit I was initially a bit worried about what he had in his hand.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
A good diagram... though I have to admit I was initially a bit worried about what he had in his hand.

Between you and I (stop reading everyone else) I was going to try to add a truss rod, frets, and a fingerboard radius just to clear things up a bit
Quote by Cody_Grey102
the towel thing and technique will help a lot, but also look into something called shower to shower. you're supposed to put it on your body after you shower and it keeps you from sweating as much. I imagine it could possibly help with your hands too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu