alright so to make a long story short i'm borrowing my friends ds-1 and feel obligated to give it back to him (i've had it for like 8 months lol)
but i really want that grungy thick distorted nirvana like tone that it gives
basically the only reason i'm keeping it is to use for just a basic nirvana like distortion
so if i gave it back
should i get another ds-1 or a ds-2
cuz i've heard that can do you rhcp's tone quite well
so basically i have a ds-1, for nirvana and alternative like crunches should i keep it (or get another one) or get a ds-2
alright thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
to be honest, ive had both of them, and i really dont think they are all that great. Some people will swear by the ds-1, but in my opinion its nothing special, youre metal muff is a great distortion and if you play with that you can get some good tones. The ds1 in my opinion is more of a begginer pedal. Currently i have the Ds-2 and i must say im not impresses, its basically the same as a ds1 but with a mode for enhanced mids. you can get a lot of distortion out of this box, but just the quality of tone is crappy. I would invest some money into a better distortion if your looking for a better stombox in terms of qaulity and tone
Gear:

Fender Blues Junior
MIM Standard Strat
EVH Phaser
535 q dunlop wah
modded ts9
E.H. Pulsuar Tremelo
Homemade truebypass box
a little bit of jesus
Quote by dangb523
to be honest, ive had both of them, and i really dont think they are all that great. Some people will swear by the ds-1, but in my opinion its nothing special, youre metal muff is a great distortion and if you play with that you can get some good tones. The ds1 in my opinion is more of a begginer pedal. Currently i have the Ds-2 and i must say im not impresses, its basically the same as a ds1 but with a mode for enhanced mids. you can get a lot of distortion out of this box, but just the quality of tone is crappy. I would invest some money into a better distortion if your looking for a better stombox in terms of qaulity and tone

I agree that both of those pedals aren't that great at all but to be honest the metal muff is a worse choice for getting a similar sound to Nirvana and RHCP. Out of the two pedals you mentioned the DS-2 will give you a bit more distortion for Nirvana (plus Kurt actually used that pedal). Why don't you try looking at a ProCo Ratt? It's a pretty good choice as well and has a nicer sound.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
yeah the rat is legendary but does it just clear grungy distorted tones like nirvana
i know the tone isn't that good but i'm going for nirvana tone so what do you expect lol
yeah the metal muff definitely cannot do that nirvana/rhcp sort of thing
its really just metal gain
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I was under the impression that the DS-2 is a just a DS-1 with an extra setting?

If that is the case (and correct me if I'm wrong) then you might as well get the DS-2, especially if you want that Froosh tone.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit