All right, quick question guys.

If I recessed the bridge on a guitar the right amount, would that get rid of the need to make a neck angle? I think it would but I'm not positive...
I'm not 100% sure on why there needs to a neck angle, but I've always thought that it was so the strings would go be parrelel with the fretboard. So if that's why, then recessing the bridge would do the job.
Correct?
Sorry if I worded all this weird, it's just something that popped into my head.
Thanks.
You thought correct. Yes the neck angle is to make the strings parrallel with the fretboard. I take it you are using a T-O-M? So by recessing it you will eliminate the need for a neck angle. You will have calculate the correct depth though...
I'm not sure what kind of bridge, but yeah, it'll probably be T-O-M. It's just something that came to mind, so I just wanted to verify.
And yeah, I'd have to calculate--but I'm not getting that into the idea right now anyway, it was just a quick thought.
Thanks for the reply
I assume it's going to be the les paul in your sig? I really like the look of recessed T-O-M's
aswell.
Yes sir!
Yeah, I like the look too, so I think it's what I'll end up going with.
Be sure to check it the thread once I get started
I will thanks. Have you decided upon any other features yet? Wood or pickups?
I haven't thought about the pickups yet, but I know I'm using Alder for the body--I've already got the blank actually.
And I think I'll use flame or quilt maple for the top.
I think I'll be using 3 pieces of maple with 2 thin mahagony strips between them for the neck. Not sure about the fretboard yet.

Also, I've got a quick question for you.
Is this a good bridge to use?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Standard_Posts.html

I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I don't want to be cheaping out without realizing it. Also, does gold hardware wear out and turn to a less desirable colour over time? I've heard that somewhere, but I'm not positive.
Nice to thw wood, especially the neck.

Gotoh are a well respected make so I'm sure the quality will be fine.

About the gold hardware: I have a Les Paul with gold hardware. I've had it for two years and it still looks new. Maybe after a long time it might discolour but it might not. It depends if it is real gold I suppose. Real gold is extremely unreactive. And think about it- That bridge isn't that expensive. If it discolours after time then you could buy another?
Thanks--I think the neck is going to look VERY nice.

Yeah that's true, what's another 25 bucks after a few years?

And when you asked about the pickups, it reminded me that I really have no idea for them.
So, while I'm here, I guess I'll ask instead of making another quick answer thread.
I'm not sure if you'll know the answer, but you've helped me so far, so I'll give 'er a shot.
I'm looking to be able to get a really crisp, clean sound, but I'd also like to be able to have some harder (hard rock--metal) sounds at times as well. I don't want the harder sounds to be muddled and indistinguished though--I'd like them to be defined.
I'm not sure what kind of pickups would help me achieve this, but any suggestions are much appreciated!
Hey Duval, how's that Peavey Rotor EXP sound/play? That's my dream guitar...

I have a Cort 100th NAMM guitar and it has gold hardware. I don't like it 'cause it shows wear realy badly. Fingerprints, condensation, etc. I've cleaned it so much that the gold is starting to rub off. On the trem arm you can see some of the chrome underneath.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Apr 20, 2008,
It's actually pretty nice! One complaint though--one of the tuners has come loose, and I have to duct tape it or it goes out of tune. :P:
I guess I could fix that pretty quickly if I actually wanted to though.
Oh, and it's got some fret buzz. I could fix that too pretty quickly though.
Besides those two things that are very minor in my books, it's an extremely nice guitar Wasn't too expensive either!

Yeah, I've heard of problems like that before. I guess that's something I'll have to take into consideration when I make the choice.
Thanks for the information
Quote by Duval67
I haven't thought about the pickups yet, but I know I'm using Alder for the body--I've already got the blank actually.
And I think I'll use flame or quilt maple for the top.
I think I'll be using 3 pieces of maple with 2 thin mahagony strips between them for the neck. Not sure about the fretboard yet.

Also, I've got a quick question for you.
Is this a good bridge to use?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Standard_Posts.html

I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I don't want to be cheaping out without realizing it. Also, does gold hardware wear out and turn to a less desirable colour over time? I've heard that somewhere, but I'm not positive.

it better be a good bridge i got the exact same one for my build lol!!!
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Duval67
Thanks--I think the neck is going to look VERY nice.

Yeah that's true, what's another 25 bucks after a few years?

And when you asked about the pickups, it reminded me that I really have no idea for them.
So, while I'm here, I guess I'll ask instead of making another quick answer thread.
I'm not sure if you'll know the answer, but you've helped me so far, so I'll give 'er a shot.
I'm looking to be able to get a really crisp, clean sound, but I'd also like to be able to have some harder (hard rock--metal) sounds at times as well. I don't want the harder sounds to be muddled and indistinguished though--I'd like them to be defined.
I'm not sure what kind of pickups would help me achieve this, but any suggestions are much appreciated!

Right to be honest, I don't too much about pickups. However, I'll try and point you in the right direction.

For a crisp, clean sound you will probably want a humbucker than can be coil split to give you a single coil sound. Seymour Duncan do good pickups and I'm sure there will be some you would like. If you PM someone like forsaknazrael (he seems to be expert) they would suggest a few. Probably recommend something like a '59 in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck. That's just a rough suggestion

Hope it helped
All right, thanks supergerbil
Hopefully this build ends up working out!

EDIT:
I love the sound of those pickups haha. Thank you very much kind sir
Last edited by Duval67 at Apr 21, 2008,