Page 1 of 2
So, I checked Search Bar, but it didn't show up. We just started reading this book at my school, and I think its really interesting. I feel like I can kinda relate to the main character a bit, even though I'm very different. However, we were having a discussion about it in class, and a bunch of people were talking about how much they hated the character, and how much of an asshole he is.

So what does the pit think?
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I hate his guts and if he existed in real life, I'd punch him in the face.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Good book without a proper ending.

And Holden was funny at some points but mostly annoying
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
i havent read it in a while, but it was a good book..
he wasnt an asshole as much as he was misunderstood..
Quote by silhouettica
most of thoes are regarding essays
im just asking what people think of it, and if they can relate to the character at all

yeah. emo kids.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
Quote by silhouettica
most of thoes are regarding essays
im just asking what people think of it, and if they can relate to the character at all

Quote by silhouettica
So, I checked Search Bar, but it didn't show up.

And only 2 of them are about essays.
i love how people bash it because they understand nothing about good literature.
I didn't like the book because you have to pay really close attention to even get the point of the story. He's supposed to be narrating the story of his nervous breakdown, but unless you're looking for it, it's retarded hard to find in the story. It's written to be analyzed, not read.
A great book, and you *have* to read it before you grow up, you just have to I think. I think it's a bit ridiculous to reduce it to 'holden in a jackass', though. He's no more a jackass than any other character in the book (except his sister, I suppose, who isn't a jackass )
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by CorvetteRick
I read that book, and I thought it seemed interesting, so I kept reading, and it ended and NOTHING had happened, he leaves school, goes to NY but can't go home until his parents know he got booted from school, tries to do a hooker but chickens out, then he goes home... Classic

Bet you didn't know the main character tells the whole story from a mental asylum.

I enjoyed the book when I read it. It kept me entertained during a christmas vacation.
one of the best books ive ever read, really entertaining.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
I know a kid who looks exactly like what Ackley would look like.
He's really gross
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i never read it in school but i bought it to rad and it was SO wierd
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by lordofthefood1
I know a kid who looks exactly like what Ackley would look like.
He's really gross
I know a kid who acts like Ackley.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
My English teacher says Holden's one of the most well developed characters of all time.

I personally I hated him.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I know a kid who acts like Ackley.

But is he tall, lanky, and have a pimple laden back?
Now say his name.....
I never saw what the fuss was about Holden Caulfield being the complete encapsulation of what it is to be a angst-ridden teenager. He just annoyed me because he fails at everything so much. I can't identify with him at all.
I mostly looked at the book as being scared of adulthood.

He criticises everyone but himself for faults (phoniness etc) but he never looks at him self and realise that he's a phony too. Because he wants to remain part of his idiolised world of children. The adult world is all phonies. (He makes it clear than he thinks childhood is running about in the rye fields and that adulthood awaits those children who run off the cliff - adulthood is a terrible thing). He's not a child and he's not accepting adulthood. He's isolated and lonely and wants someone to connect with people, but he sabotages it.

Lost ma train of though there :/

meh, I thought it was an ace book. I don't know how much it's supposed to be about being a teenager, but then i've never felt all this confusion and angst that you're supposed to as a teenager so I don't know...
Book is boring.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i just finished that book in my honors class and we had a discussion on if holden is a phony, conformist, or individual... awsome book though
Great book, I think it has a really claustrophobic character to it...I don't really know why? Maybe because Holden is so alone and he basically see fault in everything so can't really love? Who Knows.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by ciwwaf rulz
i just finished that book in my honors class and we had a discussion on if holden is a phony, conformist, or individual... awsome book though

you could say he's conforming to the idea of a stereotypical angry teenager, although the book was written in the 30s/40s? I doubt that stereotype existed really until well after the 60s.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
if you liked that, check out some of Salinger's other published works (as limited as they are). Franny and Zooey is probably my favorite book by him, maybe of all time.
turn me back into the pet that i was when we met,
i was happier then with no mind-set.
It was a good book, but the long winded sentences got dull and repetitive after about page 50. After finding out he was in a mental asylum made the whole book worthwhile because it was one killer twist.
Quote by Qazxs
I got kicked out of a Mac store when me and my friends simultaneously put on meatspin on all of the computers in the store. Some eleven or twelve year old looking girls there freaked out.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Book is boring.

you're boring. this and all of Salinger's novels are incredible.
Quote by screwup30
Great book, I think it has a really claustrophobic character to it...I don't really know why? Maybe because Holden is so alone and he basically see fault in everything so can't really love? Who Knows.

Yeah, I got that too. He's often talking to people but it still feels like it's just him there. He's very isolated, and he stops himself connecting with people. I'm not sure why.
Quote by meh!
Yeah, I got that too. He's often talking to people but it still feels like it's just him there. He's very isolated, and he stops himself connecting with people. I'm not sure why.

a lot of salinger's characters are like that. i'm pretty sure it's reflective of salinger himself. he is a recluse, or whatever.
i read that book a while ago. didnt get it and seeing this agian i think im gonna go pick i tup sometime
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
"I turned the peak of my hunting cap to the side, just the way that I liked it..."

Catcher in the Rye is probably the best book I've read. Holden Caulfield is simply the man, all of those flaming him and saying he's an asshole are jealous, I know I'm slightly jealous of him, he is such a badass. J.D Salinger eh...very interesting character.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
This book killed Lennon....
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
I can't look at this thread as I plan on reading this book very soon! One of my best friends read it recently and he said it was fantastic.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
i loved it. it's not a suspense action novel obviously, there was pretty much no climax or major event...but it was very interesting to me.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Geebz
This book killed Lennon....

Nop, a man who read it did.
Now say his name.....
I couldn't muster any good feeling toward that book. Holden was just a rich kid who didn't care about anyone but himself. Hypocrite as well
Page 1 of 2