Page 1 of 2
I don't know the exact name for it, but it's the place where your right arm rests while you pick/strum.

Mine doesn't have a smooth or 'cut' edge so it's very sharp:

Ibanez SA 160

as opposed to something like this:

This hurts my arm and it leaves marks. How do you guys who have these types of guitars deal with it?
How do you play your guitar?! your hand should be rested on the top....
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
if it happens when you stand try adjusting the strap for different height
...:::The Master Chief :::...
Quote by CorvetteRick
Man up.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
Grow super man muscles so the only thing that gets hurt are your superb muscles.

Edit: Muscles dont feel pain.

lol, I don't exactly have chicken arms. They're not Popeye arms, but it's sufficient.

Quote by Simonwalker
How do you play your guitar?! your hand should be rested on the top....

um, of course not. Why do you think the second pic in the OP, and practicallly over 90% of all electric guitars have an "ergonomic" edge?
Quote by MPM12
lol, I don't exactly have chicken arms. They're not Popeye arms, but it's sufficient.

um, of course not. Why do you think the second pic in the OP, and practicallly over 90% of all electric guitars have an "ergonomic" edge?

Ideally, you wouldn't want to rest your arm on the guitar at all.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by MPM12
Do you guys really don't get what I mean or am I just being trolled?

I think everyone gets what you mean, but there isn't anything you can do about it. You're either going to have to:

A) Stop resting your arm on the body,

B) Man up and take it (or you could go to a local archery shop and get a pad)

C) Carve your guitar, which you don't want to do.
My esp has a similar body type and it does hurt after a few hours of playing.

But it goes away if you play everyday for a few hours.
This is my Signature.
Quote by mattscar

My LTD doesn't have a bevel either, and it doesn't hurt at all. Ever.

I do severely love the tummy-cut, though.
Last edited by Y00p at Apr 20, 2008,
My guitar doesn't have a ergo-edge on it so I just taught myself to have a free floating wrist.
no offense but thats pathetic that you are complaining about your guitar hurting you

cept one time it shocked me.....and a string cut my eye open....
You've probably got your strap too short - I have an S470 with a similar body and have no problems. You really want to try with the guitar at waist level - this way, your upper arm is out of the guitar's way. If it's your lower arm that gets scratched, try sticking out your elbow while you play. At the least, this will bring your arm parrallel to the body where it won't scratch. If all else fails, wear a long-sleeved shirt, jumper or apply some sort of pad around your arm. Not the best of solutions, but it'll work.

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by mattscar

This is the kinda stuff I want to hear.

Does anyone else have the same complaint as me?
I play primarily LPs and my Explorer, but I've never had an issue with the edge of the body hurting my arm, sitting or otherwise.
I don't understand whats going on in the equation that causes the guitar to hurt you.
Are you trying to control the neck of the guitar by pressing your arm against the body?
I do that a little with the Explorer, but only standing because it is so neck-heavy.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I have played on an other guitar with a softer edge before for days and didn't notice anything.

A few hours with this Ibanez and the only thing I can think about is the slight pain in my arm. The edge of this guitar is really ****ing sharp. And I'm not exactly pressing against it with full force either. But there is some force of course. It simply rests on the edge. And it appears that is enough for marks to appear on my arm.
Quote by MPM12
Guys, I play the guitar sitting down .

Take the strap off and rest the guitar on your lap. You may need to get a different chair that lets the guitar sit lower, like maybe a barstool. Then your arm will extend and not be cramped up.
Just got done with a multiple hour session and holy **** this thing is really an axe. Jesus christ, what were they thinking when they made this.

Chorduroy: The strap is off, and of course I play the thing on my lap. I sit on my bed when I play but I really don't think it has much to do with it, since I can also feel it when I'm playing standing up. I hope this **** is only temporary, because the guitar is fine on all other counts. Stupid ****ing sharp edge.
Last edited by MPM12 at Apr 21, 2008,
I understood what you meant, that's why I added that it wouldn't matter anyway, because I can also feel it when playing standing up. Which is when the guitar is the furthest down my body, thus enabling me to extend my arms more.

Are there any more SA 160 owners here who can comment on this?
try sitting on different things of different heights to see if it relieves any discomfort. when i had my SG, i never had any problems but if i played a LP, when sitting, my right foot had to stand on my left foot to rise the guitar up a little bit
08 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio
Try sitting in the classical position. The "rock position" is very uncomfortable for your right arm and makes no sense.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

archery pads, made of leather about 3-5 inches long and wrap around your wrist, with laces to tie up. Basically arm bands, but they are padded. An arm band could work but archery pads look bad ass.
Quote by telemetal
The pic says it all

hehe I really do hope that I'M doing it wrong instead of having a crappy guitar body, but I'm positive it's just the guitar's fault, unfortunately...

Quote by BassmanArk
archery pads, made of leather about 3-5 inches long and wrap around your wrist, with laces to tie up. Basically arm bands, but they are padded. An arm band could work but archery pads look bad ass.

I was hoping not having to resort to measurements like this..... sigh
I have an SA120 which is almost identical and it is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played, I have to agree with the pic above
Quote by JackalUK
Can you post a picture of how you rest your arm on the guitar?

Dude trust me, I'm holding it like I'm supposed to like everyone else does. I'm no idiot.

This is not me, but it's exactly how I sit/hold:

Notice how his Fender has a carved edge, so he's not in contact with the side of the guitar? Yeah....
Quote by MPM12
Dude trust me, I'm holding it like I'm supposed to like everyone else does. I'm no idiot.

Notice how his Fender has a carved edge, so he's not in contact with the side of the guitar? Yeah....

try it with your guitar in between your legs or try it like you are but crossing your right leg over your left, leaning back a little
08 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio
I find resting my arm hinders fast picking movement for techniques like tremelo picking, ergo I don't do it.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
My guitar doesnt get lighter up there, I dont have a problem with it.. just adjust

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by telemetal
The pic says it all

That's one of the funniest pictures I've seen in decades! What the hell was he trying to do?!
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311

That's one of the funniest pictures I've seen in decades! What the hell was he trying to do?!

One of Dalsihm's aerial attacks from the looks of it...

TS, play a Telecaster or Les Paul for a while, then go back to yours and hey presto, all of a sudden it won't seem as bad.

I honestly don't quite understand what the problem is...I mean, I understand what you're saying, I just don't see how it could be a problem. Besides, your guitar DOES have a bevel...the whole frickin' body is bevelled!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Uh no it isn't bevelled. The TOP sides of the entire guitar are a bit lower than the middle part, but the SIDES are sharp and thick.
Quote by steven seagull
One of Dalsihm's aerial attacks from the looks of it...

Ha!

Yoga faceplant!
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by MPM12

That's exactly how you shouldn't hold a guitar. Try classical position.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Page 1 of 2