...does my effects loop work? Obviously for many of you this is a totally noobish question, but no amp I've had has ever had an effects loop. I know the idea behind having one (i.e. certain effects sound better through it), but I don't know how to connect my pedal to it to come through the amp.

All help appreciated, and yes this is a serious question!
preamp out (sometimes called 'send')-> you put a cable in there, the cable into the input of your effect (chain), the output of the pedal into the power amp ('return') in, et voila.

generally time based effects sound better through the effects loop but just try it out.
Quote by The red Strat.
preamp out (sometimes called 'send')-> you put a cable in there, the cable into the input of your effect (chain), the output of the pedal into the power amp ('return') in, et voila.

generally time based effects sound better through the effects loop but just try it out.

Got it, thanks!

So I take it if I'm using more than one effect, e.g. reverb and chorus, I just put them in a suitable order?
Dude.

Immagine you put a reverb pedal between your guitar and amp (not in the effects loop). The signal of the reverb would sound quite normal on the clean channel, but when you run the distortion channel on top of a reverb pedal, it also distorts the reverb from the pedal. The sound would then just become a total mess.

The reason you would put a chorus and reverb in the effects loop is because then the effects are put AFTER the distortion.

Guitar->Reverb pedal->amp = Reverb beneath distortion = Reverb distorted = ****ty sound.
Guitar->amp->effectsloop out-> reverb pedal->effects loop in = reverb ON TOP of distortion which would sound normal.

Now, overdrive pedals however should be put between the guitar and amp.

Guitar- pedal overdrive - amp distorting pedal overdrive.

This might be unclear, but to sum it up:

Guitar->pedal->amp->speaker = amp sound/distortion upon the pedal effects.
Guitar->amp->pedal->speaker = Pedal sound on top of distortion/amp.

Also, a chorus/reverb/flanger and similar effects will/might experience a tone suckage/loss of tone when put between guitar and amp. Thats why we have the effects loop.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by greggybhoy
Got it, thanks!

So I take it if I'm using more than one effect, e.g. reverb and chorus, I just put them in a suitable order?

yep !
Quote by perkristian876
Dude.

Immagine you put a reverb pedal between your guitar and amp (not in the effects loop). The signal of the reverb would sound quite normal on the clean channel, but when you run the distortion channel on top of a reverb pedal, it also distorts the reverb from the pedal. The sound would then just become a total mess.

The reason you would put a chorus and reverb in the effects loop is because then the effects are put AFTER the distortion.

Guitar->Reverb pedal->amp = Reverb beneath distortion = Reverb distorted = ****ty sound.
Guitar->amp->effectsloop out-> reverb pedal->effects loop in = reverb ON TOP of distortion which would sound normal.

Now, overdrive pedals however should be put between the guitar and amp.

Guitar- pedal overdrive - amp distorting pedal overdrive.

This might be unclear, but to sum it up:

Guitar->pedal->amp->speaker = amp sound/distortion upon the pedal effects.
Guitar->amp->pedal->speaker = Pedal sound on top of distortion/amp.

Also, a chorus/reverb/flanger and similar effects will/might experience a tone suckage/loss of tone when put between guitar and amp. Thats why we have the effects loop.

Quote by greggybhoy
I know the idea behind having one (i.e. certain effects sound better through it),

Thanks for the help anyway
Quote by greggybhoy
Thanks for the help anyway

Oh lol :P

I'm studying for a math exam, So i'm dying for the opportunity to do something else.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?