Page 1 of 2
Hello there!

What do I like to play?

Well I play pretty much everything from classical music through blues to thrash metal. Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, Dire Straits, Metallica, BB King, AC/DC, Megadeth, Slayer, Pink Floyd, Blues, and classic etc.
So it has to be pretty versatile

Price Range : As stated in topic title, I'd like to keep it under 500€ (Please use thomann.de if possible).

It doesn't have to be loud, I'll use it at home, but it can be loud :P

Thanks in advance: Chris
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Quote by The red Strat.
will you use it to jam with a drummer aswell ?

I don't think so, but it's possible, and if I buy this, I won't buy another one for a few years, so I'll I guess.

@Horlicks: I've bad experiences about Line 6, is that thing much better than the Spider series?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
^ Yeah, spider series sucks but nearly all the other Line 6 stuff is awesome, look on youtube if you want to hear it.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde_91
I don't think so, but it's possible, and if I buy this, I won't buy another one for a few years, so I'll I guess.

@Horlicks: I've bad experiences about Line 6, is that thing much better than the Spider series?

the vettas are really good amps, nothing to do with the spiders!

i would look into valve amps though...a laney VC30 or a used fender hot rod (great fcking cleans but you´ll need a tubescreamer or something to get a good dist!)

i would buy a hot rod with a good OD pedal!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Zakk_Wylde_91

yes, it's miles better.

another option (which could be better IMO), is a Vox ad50vt with a speaker change (warehouse of some sort ?) and an NOS tube.
Quote by The red Strat.
yes, it's miles better.

another option (which could be better IMO), is a Vox ad50vt with a speaker change (warehouse of some sort ?) and an NOS tube.

The Vox isn't even in the same league as the Line 6 IMO.
What do You think about the Peavey Valveking series?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
the peavey valveking 112 (50 watt all tube) would be a really good amp for you with a tube/speaker swap

you have the coin...

The valveking would put you back 425

and then a celestion V30 = 122

so you're into almost 550, you could prolly work that out
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
the peavey valveking 112 (50 watt all tube) would be a really good amp for you with a tube/speaker swap

you have the coin...

The valveking would put you back 425

and then a celestion V30 = 122

so you're into almost 550, you could prolly work that out

make that a warehouse veteran 30, and he's still under 500.
You want versatility right? Neither of those valve amps will do all the styles you asked for. The Line 6 will and you'll get a whole heap of effects on top of it, and it's 60 watts so you can gig or whatever
Quote by The red Strat.
yes, it's miles better.

The AD50VT comes stock with a celestion speaker, so I don't see why he would have to change it.

How bout a Epiphone Valve Standard. They sound pretty nice and are cheap. Or do you want something more versatile and with more power?
Quote by imgooley
The AD50VT comes stock with a celestion speaker, so I don't see why he would have to change it.

How bout a Epiphone Valve Standard. They sound pretty nice and are cheap. Or do you want something more versatile and with more power?

Celestion doesn't always mean quality
Quote by Horlicks
Celestion doesn't always mean quality

Well the one that I have is quality
the celestion they put in the valvetronix's is ****

it's definitely not a V30...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I've only tried a few amps, but I mainly prefer Tube amps. I know that tube amps may not be THAT versatile, but I can get some pedals in some time, so if the VK handles pedals good, that's just fine for me (until I get the good pedals, I have the zoom g2). I'll have to try a lot of amps out, that's for sure Thanks for the recommendations, amps on my list now are:
- Peavey VK
- Vox AD50VT
- Line 6 Flextone III Plus
- Roland cube 30/60
- Laney VC 30
- Palomino V16 (Can't find them tho)

Thanks for the previous recommendations!
Any other recommendations? I will run this topic for a few days, while I can't move (My ankle got strained, if that's the word for it), then I will go to some shops, and I'll try them out.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
get the valveking out of those, a tube amp is the way to go! you´ll end up getting tired of the vox or roland cube!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by imgooley

the 70/80 celestion is like the marshall MG... it has the name on it, and that's where it ends.

it's not that bad, but it's not what people are used to from celestion in terms of quality.
+1 Valveking
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
bump
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Don't You find the VK 112 and 212 "too" cheap? You can't find another 50w tube combo for 430€. I mean, if it's good, then it's fine for me (You won't find anyone who's greedier than me), but I don't want to buy ****.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
I know. My budget is $400 US so I'm pushing it as it is but I NEED a tube amp. I like the Fender Blues Jr too for a bit more $$. I've already seen the Valveking up close and it didn't feel cheap to me. I do plan to replace the speaker at some point (if I get this amp) but I can't afford more than that right now and can't wait any longer. Use the Search box and read what others are saying about it. If I get it tomorrow I'll let you know but for now I need to get to sleep.
Later
;
Quote by Zakk_Wylde_91
Don't You find the VK 112 and 212 "too" cheap? You can't find another 50w tube combo for 430€. I mean, if it's good, then it's fine for me (You won't find anyone who's greedier than me), but I don't want to buy ****.

Says the person with the Epi Goth and a Line 6 Spider
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson
Says the person with the Epi Goth and a Line 6 Spider

Everyone can change, right? :P
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
What it sounds like you really need is something like a Blues Jr with a couple cap changes to give you a tone that is half way between the tone of a normal fender and a marshall. The only drawback is that you have to mod the amp which voids the fender warranty.

I could help you out by changing a cap or two on a blackface fender Princeton reverb if you can get together 650 euros (might be less but I'm still waiting on shipping quotes and I can promise it won't be more than 650) It has to do with the link in my sig. I haven't updated the thread yet but I do know that I will be ordering super reverbs, deluxe reverbs, and Princeton reverbs in the next 4 weeks and I'm still up for giving them to you guys at my cost. Because I'm desperate to get rid of a few of them I'd even put the thing together for you and give you a warranty on parts and construction.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 23, 2008,
bump

CorduroyEW: Sorry, but that's out of my price range
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde_91 at Apr 23, 2008,
^Yeah, thats what I figured. I'd go with the blues jr if I were you.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^Yeah, thats what I figured. I'd go with the blues jr if I were you.

I like Your pus!

Blues junior wouldn't be good for thrash imo, and I play pretty much thrash, but thx for the recommendation.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
^So do you want an amp that’s good for blues and rock or an amp for thrash? There are amps that claim to be able to do everything but usually the suck donkey balls or the cost more than you have to spend. In your price range you aren’t going to find something that is good for BB King and slayer all on its own. However, if you get an amp that has great cleans, and good blues type overdrive then you can still get good thrash tones by using the right pedals. Unfortunately it doesn’t work the other way around. If an amp has good thrash tone but it’s cleans and light distortion are lacking then there is no pedal that will make it sound good clean.

So you need to choose. Do you want versatility and great blues and classic rock tone and good metal tone when you use a pedal? Or do you want great thrash tone and then just deal with the fact that you only get marginal blues and classic rock?
You can get good (not AMAZING) blues tones from a valveking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwldK3O_Au8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274

Both clips are straight guitar to amp. Given a little leeway for awful mics and it still shows the range of the valveking.
Quote by HxCori<3
I am going to go alternative here, but have you considered an ADA MP-1/MP-2 or another tube-preamp?

They generally go for something around 200 to 300 euro's and have more than 100 very usefull tube voicings and settings, plus they house some great effects and are fully MIDI controlled.
They are great for recording (they have a really nice 2x12 and 4x12 cab simulation) and you can even plug a headset into the recording out of you want to play nice with the neighbors.

If you need to jam or gig with it, you can hook them up to generally every poweramp there is (although valve poweramps are highly preferable, they just sound better).

It's a great start for a rack setup. Combine one with a good rackmount poweramp and a 2x12 cab and you are set for years of enjoyment, especially if you get a MIDI footswitch controller with that setup.

So let's talk money:
A used ADA MP-1 / MP-2 € 250,-
Rocktron poweramp € 249,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/rocktron_velocity100.htm
Behringer FCB 1010 MIDI controller €166,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/behringer_fcb_1010.htm
Harley Benton G212 cab €129,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212.htm

In total €749,- for a fully stage-worthy, recording capable, extremely versatile rig.
Okay, so you've overshot your budget by €250,- big deal.
You can buy this setup one part at the time, and if you look around a bit you'll find much of this stuff used at much nicer prices.

And if you need to be convinced as to why the ADA is a good idea, check http://www.adadepot.com/cool_things/soundclips/main.htm for samples.
Quote by ZC3rr0r
I am going to go alternative here, but have you considered an ADA MP-1/MP-2 or another tube-preamp?

They generally go for something around 200 to 300 euro's and have more than 100 very usefull tube voicings and settings, plus they house some great effects and are fully MIDI controlled.
They are great for recording (they have a really nice 2x12 and 4x12 cab simulation) and you can even plug a headset into the recording out of you want to play nice with the neighbors.

If you need to jam or gig with it, you can hook them up to generally every poweramp there is (although valve poweramps are highly preferable, they just sound better).

It's a great start for a rack setup. Combine one with a good rackmount poweramp and a 2x12 cab and you are set for years of enjoyment, especially if you get a MIDI footswitch controller with that setup.

So let's talk money:
A used ADA MP-1 / MP-2 € 250,-
Rocktron poweramp € 249,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/rocktron_velocity100.htm
Behringer FCB 1010 MIDI controller €166,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/behringer_fcb_1010.htm
Harley Benton G212 cab €129,- http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212.htm

In total €749,- for a fully stage-worthy, recording capable, extremely versatile rig.
Okay, so you've overshot your budget by €250,- big deal.
You can buy this setup one part at the time, and if you look around a bit you'll find much of this stuff used at much nicer prices.

And if you need to be convinced as to why the ADA is a good idea, check http://www.adadepot.com/cool_things/soundclips/main.htm for samples.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not going to gig for - let's say, 1-2 years. And I'm absolutely not going to record in the near future.

CorduroyEW: I need an amp, which is good for clean stuff / blues / classic rock, and can also handle pedals good, so that I can reach thrashy tones later. Also, I don't need it to be big, I will use this amp at home, and to jam with other guitarists.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
^how big is big? I know lots of people that gig with 12 to 18 watts of power. In a valve amp thats more than enough for most of us, but some people still want more. What about you?
Quote by CorduroyEW
^how big is big? I know lots of people that gig with 12 to 18 watts of power. In a valve amp thats more than enough for most of us, but some people still want more. What about you?

5W is enough for me, and I would not like to go over 15W (That's the reason why VK112 isn't really good for me).
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
^If you want to play clean you will need more than 5 watts. I'd suggest you try and get 12 to 15 which brings us back the the Blues Jr. The Peavy classic 30 is good to but more power than you want and may be more than your budget can streatch. Another good option is the laney vc15. I don't really like the cleans on the laney, but many people swear by them so it's definitaly worth a look. The orange tini terror is going to be sitting on the top end of your budget and should work resonably well but then you would have to get a cab.

There would be a lot more options if you lived in the states...
Quote by CorduroyEW
^If you want to play clean you will need more than 5 watts. I'd suggest you try and get 12 to 15 which brings us back the the Blues Jr. The Peavy classic 30 is good to but more power than you want and may be more than your budget can streatch. Another good option is the laney vc15. I don't really like the cleans on the laney, but many people swear by them so it's definitaly worth a look. The orange tini terror is going to be sitting on the top end of your budget and should work resonably well but then you would have to get a cab.

There would be a lot more options if you lived in the states...

Can I reach thrashy tones with a fender blues junior / pv classic? With a pedal ofc. Why can't a 5W amp do the job with the cleans? I've been looking at the laney, but I can't try it out (none of the shops has it in my country). I've tried the classic, but it was (is) too expensive and too big for me, although I liked it pretty much.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Zakk_Wylde - you really need to give the ValveKing 112 another look. Play thru it if you can. I was like you in that I didn't think I needed any more than 15w. And maybe I don't. Granted I've only had this ValveKing for 1 day but so far so good. I dismissed it at first because it was 50w. Like most on this board have said it is not great at any one thing but is good at a lot of things. Clean. Blues. Thrash, whatever.

It has an Class A - Class A/B switch which helps and has 'bright' switch for both clean and lead channels both of which are very helpful at getting some good tone at low volume.

But don't get me wrong I came this close to getting the Blues Jr - but in the end it just wasn't versitile enough.
;
Page 1 of 2