Hullo,

I've just borrowed my dad's old squier for a bit, And it has this problem, where the low E string keeps coming out of the nut groove and lying along the top side of the neck.

Are there any quick and easy ways to fix this, other than replacing the nut?, If not, Can you buy new nuts ready cut for popular brands, or do you have to cut the nut yourself, with nut files etc?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Apr 20, 2008,
I read the thread title and just thought "go see a doctor."

But in relation to your problem, if it doesn't look easily fixed then take it to a guitar shop. Most will at least look at it for free and then you can get a more personalised response.

It's kinda difficult to understand the problem through the medium of text.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Apr 20, 2008,
try making the groove a little deeper. careful, though, that could cause some bad fret buzz if the string gets too close.

yes, there are ready made nuts. you might have to file or sand the bottom of a new nut down to get it to be the exact right height.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Well, I don't have a camera, But The problem is basically that the nut's been raduised too much on the left side, either that or the E string groove is too shallow, so the string pops out the groove when the guitar is being played.
you can mix baking soda and super glue reform the nut shape and refile it back to the original string hieght. just a simple easy fix rather than replacing a new nut.
Quote by anita prs bad
you can mix baking soda and super glue reform the nut shape and refile it back to the original string hieght. just a simple easy fix rather than replacing a new nut.

Genius, Exactly what i was after. The File, Do I have to buy a proper nut file or is there something i could get from B & Q or somewhere that would do the job?
I was thinking, I've got quite sweaty hands, and Bicarbonate of soda readily dissolves in water, so is there any danger it would gradually deteriorate?

If so, i was thinking about getting some white plastic and sandpaper and making my own powder, Would this do the trick just as well?
You don't get your hands all over your nut while you're playing now, do you?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
You will have to make the nut groove for that string a little deeper.

If that makes the string get too much fret buzz a quick fix is putting a piece of plastic cellophane under the nut to raise it a little higher.

Hope this helped
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.