I have a Fender HSS Mexican Stratocaster, and I am looking to get a tone like Clapton on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. I do not have an amp yet, and am looking to spend less than 300$. I know this is cheap, but I do not have a great ear yet, so I definitely don't need the exact tone, just close. I will also be playing at low volumes, so if you suggest a tube amp, I would also need something to get the tube break up at low volumes. What amp/pedals should I get?
Blackheart little giant.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^Yeah. It's a great low volume amp, since it has a low wattage rating.
Just change out the stock tubes for JJs or something. That's a great, cheap upgrade.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i dont think my guitar center has these, are these better than the fender super champ, and do you know if guitar center will order an amp if you request it?
^Look at epiphone valve juniors then.
Usually, you need something british voiced for a general clapton tone.
You could find a used peavey classic 30 too, but the blackheart will sound better at lower volumes.
And buy at a different store than GC. Go to a non-franchise store.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Look at epiphone valve juniors then.
Usually, you need something british voiced for a general clapton tone.
You could find a used peavey classic 30 too, but the blackheart will sound better at lower volumes.
And buy at a different store than GC. Go to a non-franchise store.

+1 to non-franchise stores. you could also try pawn shops sometimes they have some great deals
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I would say have a look at a Crate V-18. I'm not sure what you consider "low" volume but I've got a 15 watt all tube Laney and it's not that loud. Easily useable at low volume and I think it's around your price.
Fender Champ 600, Eric Clapton used one of those to record that album!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^O'Rly?
Is the current 600 a pretty faithful clone of the vintage one?
I never knew that.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^O'Rly?
Is the current 600 a pretty faithful clone of the vintage one?
I never knew that.

+1 I thought he played Marshalls
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Gabel

He also supposedly used a 5F1 tweed, a hot-rodded blackface, and a silverface. AKA: no-one really knows. Personally, I believe it was a 5F1, purely based on how it sounds. Regardless, the 600 is the closest from Fenders current offerings.
^Cool.
I thought Clapton was a pretty die hard marshall guy.
Wow, I learn something new every day.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Cool.
I thought Clapton was a pretty die hard marshall guy.
Wow, I learn something new every day.

That was mainly in Cream only.

Quote by mr_hankey
He also supposedly used a 5F1 tweed, a hot-rodded blackface, and a silverface. AKA: no-one really knows. Personally, I believe it was a 5F1, purely based on how it sounds. Regardless, the 600 is the closest from Fenders current offerings.

Yeah I know, but you can convert the 600 to 5F1 without too much work from what I have gathered. I can also say it was a Champ, I've seen many pictures of him with it, can't find them now.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel

+1

if i had a strat...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
clapton on stage now uses a marshall and a old tweed fender but i beleve in deric and the dominoes he was useing a les paul as his main axe or thats what i took from his autobiography.. he didnt come up with a strat untill ocean
^he used brownie afaik

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Yup I believe he used Brownie, his 1st well known Strat, for the Layla album. If you listen to the album it defo sounds like Strat

EDIT: He started using Fender amps form around 1969 onwards, so a bright-sounding amp should do the trick for getting that tone
+1 on the Crate V18 for $339.00. I was very impressed with the amp and tested it with a MIM strat, it sounded very good IMO. It did not have the "low end" that the Blues Jr had though but for the cash, great amp. The main reason I would recommend this over the BH or the Epi is wattage for the money. If Epi still made the Valve "Standard", hmmm, maybe craigslist?
Quote by Gabel
Yeah I know, but you can convert the 600 to 5F1 without too much work from what I have gathered. I can also say it was a Champ, I've seen many pictures of him with it, can't find them now.
Yep, swap two or three parts. I did it to my Champ, and after the mod I could really nail that tone. I still preferred the silverface sound (mainly the cleans), so now it's unmodded again.

Quote by hendriko
^he used brownie afaik
And yes, he used brownie.

Take your copy of Layla, and turn it over.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Apr 21, 2008,
^

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame