I was thinking of grabbing an MXR Microamp to saturate the gain a bit more in my rig over the lead channel. Good idea?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I'd go with this instead
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-Custom-Audio-Electronics-MC402-BoostOverdrive-Pedal?sku=151126
Its got a booster and an OD. Not sure how good the OD itself is, but basically you can use it as a double signal boost.
Turn the gain down to 0 and volume up and put the boost on. Shabam.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
What the hell does that have to do with anything? I want to ADD saturated gain to my amp.

That was directed at The Red Strat btw =)

The only problem I have with my gain structure is the fact that its not really saturated enough. The Bad Monkey doesnt saturate the gain the way I'd like it to, so shouldnt the MicroAmp do what I want? I dont really want to "boost" it persay. Just saturate it
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
What the hell does that have to do with anything? I want to ADD saturated gain to my amp.

That was directed at The Red Strat btw =)

it has everything to do with it.

you roll off your volume for your rhythm work or whatever; then, when you need the extra gain... BAM ! volume on full on the guitar. dynamics are a guitarist's best friend
Quote by The red Strat.

you roll off your volume for your rhythm work or whatever; then, when you need the extra gain... BAM ! volume on full on the guitar. dynamics are a guitarist's best friend

Im saying I dont have enough saturated gain when I have my guitars volume dimed. So I want to add more gain, not take away from it.

Quote by mike.h
The only problem I have with my gain structure is the fact that its not really saturated enough. The Bad Monkey doesnt saturate the gain the way I'd like it to, so shouldnt the MicroAmp do what I want? I dont really want to "boost" it persay. Just saturate it
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by The red Strat.

are you retarded?
He's saying he doesnt have enough gain ALTOGETHER. rolling down the volume gives you LESS GAIN. He wants a solo boost basically.

The boost pedal will give a signal boost to the preamp,essentially. It should result in a little more gain and a bit of volume.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by mike.h
Im saying I dont have enough saturated gain when I have my guitars volume dimed. So I want to add more gain, not take away from it.

wait, you don't have enough with the VK's gain and the BM together ?
To the threadstarter, yes it is a good idea it will give you more gain through your amp but watch the volume level. cos it my blow your ears off.

to the red strat, the idea is right but if you kill the volume pot he is going to loose gain. he wants to add more. not use what he has and less.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Well.. hmm. Its not that I dont really have enough gain, its just I'd like to saturate it more. I should be able to do that with a MicroAmp right? Cause I found one at a great price.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Well.. hmm. Its not that I dont really have enough gain, its just I'd like to saturate it more. I should be able to do that with a MicroAmp right? Cause I found one at a great price.

ah, fair enough.

the point that i was trying to make is that you should have enough gain, so you could dial in more gain than you need, then roll off the volume knob on your guitar. see ?

but if it's about saturating the gain, the microamp will do that, yes.
i like mc401 better though.
I say go for the 402. Having an extra OD is nice at times. Or it might replace your bad monkey all together
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I say go for the 402. Having an extra OD is nice at times. Or it might replace your bad monkey all together

The main reason why I'm looking at the MA is because I found a good price for it
I cant really shell out $140 bucks right now

My plans would be to roll the level back a bit on the Bad Monkey and "saturate" it with the MXR.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I guess go for it then
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I'm guessing you're running the amp at low volumes? If you crank the amp, you should have enough gain to take the red strat's advice.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
I'm guessing you're running the amp at low volumes? If you crank the amp, you should have enough gain to take the red strat's advice.

It doesnt saturate that much at high volumes really.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator