I have a Fender HSS Mexican Stratocaster, and I am looking to get a tone like Clapton on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. I do not have an amp yet, and am looking to spend less than 300$. I know this is cheap, but I do not have a great ear yet, so I definitely don't need the exact tone, just close. I will also be playing at low volumes, so if you suggest a tube amp, I would also need something to get the tube break up at low volumes. What amp/pedals should I get?
the roland cube isnt tube, and i ehart that the vox ad30vt would be better than that. I am also looking at tube amps though, would the royal 8 and the crate v5 sound good at low volumes, and by low i mean dorm room amps
The Royal 8 is like... 8 watts. So, it should be pretty decent.

If you'd feel more comfortable, perhaps try the Epiphone VJ, which is about 2 watts. It will get you Clapton's tone with a Strat.

Also, the Roland is a great amp for rock.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
The Royal 8 is like... 8 watts. So, it should be pretty decent.

If you'd feel more comfortable, perhaps try the Epiphone VJ, which is about 2 watts. It will get you Clapton's tone with a Strat.

Also, the Roland is a great amp for rock.

The royal 8 is 5 watts, and the Vox is better for classic tones than the cube. The Valve Junior is 5 watts too.

Try the Crate V8, which is 5 watts, and the Fender champ
I'll recommend the Fender Champion 600 like mentioned earlier because I own it and you don't need to have it loud to get a very nice tone out of it. As for a Clapton tone, I dunno but I'm sure you could achieve it with some pedals and a bit of tweaking.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
I'll recommend the Fender Champion 600 like mentioned earlier because I own it and you don't need to have it loud to get a very nice tone out of it. As for a Clapton tone, I dunno but I'm sure you could achieve it with some pedals and a bit of tweaking.

+1

And humbuckers.
Quote by nikeshp
I have a Fender HSS Mexican Stratocaster, and I am looking to get a tone like Clapton on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

He and Duane Allman used tweed champs.
After recording with Derek and the Dominoes, he went on the road with Bonnie and Delaney, his lineup was 2 or 4 Fender Showmans or Dual Showmans, close to Freddie King's setup.
its all about the guitar on this one. Clapton used Gibsons early on.. SGs, es335s and the 59 burst on the beano album. The clapton pedal isnt much to be desired. Ive had better luck straight through a fender tweed with a strat for his newer strat blues tone. Layla... he used his SG with the tone rolled off on his bridge pickup. Woman tone baby.. Santana does the same thing.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
Layla... he used his SG with the tone rolled off on his bridge pickup. Woman tone baby.. Santana does the same thing.

Nope. It's well documented. He recorded with a 1956 sunburst start he christened "Brownie".
Yeah, the tone you're probably thinking of for Layla is actually Duane Allman's Les Paul. As long as we're talking about the track "Layla" itself, Clapton's is the rhythm guitar on the left channel.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by nikeshp
I have a Fender HSS Mexican Stratocaster, and I am looking to get a tone like Clapton on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. I do not have an amp yet, and am looking to spend less than 300$. I know this is cheap, but I do not have a great ear yet, so I definitely don't need the exact tone, just close. I will also be playing at low volumes, so if you suggest a tube amp, I would also need something to get the tube break up at low volumes. What amp/pedals should I get?

You can't get close to that tone with 300 bucks. Maybe with a cube 30, but you'd have to really fool around with the settings. I have a cube 30 and to get that cream tone, I put it on "brit combo", I put the volume and gain at 12 o'clock, with bass at '12 , mids and treble at '3. I also kick the tone on my guitar back to 5 or 6.'

For layla, I guess you could use the same settings, but on the "black panel" setting.
Or, use the dyna amp setting on the new ones.