Looking to get a les paul to add to my collection one of these days. I love the feel of the custom lp's and they look great as well. Thing is, i'm not looking to blow around $3,400 on a gibson custom. So my options are the epiphone lp custom, or the epiphone elitist. Is it worth the extra 400$ or so to get the elitist? Im also considering options like the ESP les paul copies(dont remember the name). Suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have heard good things about both of them, but i have only tried the custom. That was a cool guitar.
id say get the elitist!!

but if you're into the br00tals get the ESP the guy above said

edit: but the elitist is so purrrrrrrty
Elitist models are the Japanese or USA made ones I believe.
They're the uttermost BEST quality guitar you can get for the price IMO.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i have an epi lp custom and i love it. it feels and plays great. the pickups could be better though...

also, after looking at your gear im going to assume you like metal. esp guitars are more moetal-oriented than the epiphones. ive never actually played one, but ive heard they have faster necks. they also come with sd pickups or emgs, which is always a plus. i would go try out an esp and see if you like it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Those Elitist guitars are really good from what I've heard. I find the headstock kinda ugly though.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i have an epi lp custom and i love it. it feels and plays great. the pickups could be better though...

also, after looking at your gear im going to assume you like metal. esp guitars are more moetal-oriented than the epiphones. ive never actually played one, but ive heard they have faster necks. they also come with sd pickups or emgs, which is always a plus. i would go try out an esp and see if you like it

True, i love metal. However, I play almost as much classic rock and older randy rhoads-esque metal.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Rocker_94
Those Elitist guitars are really good from what I've heard. I find the headstock kinda ugly though.

Much better looking that the epi in my opinion. Those gibson headstocks though..they hit the money on those.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Looking to get a les paul to add to my collection one of these days. I love the feel of the custom lp's and they look great as well. Thing is, i'm not looking to blow around $3,400 on a gibson custom. So my options are the epiphone lp custom, or the epiphone elitist. Is it worth the extra 400$ or so to get the elitist? Im also considering options like the ESP les paul copies(dont remember the name). Suggestions?

What are you looking to play?

For rock, and everything else, the Elitist is amazing. If you're looking to play heavier, there's the ESP Eclipse models. They come with either EMGs or SDs. Personally, I like the look of the Epiphones better (with the exception of the ESP Eclipse VB). As far as versatility goes, the ESP with SDs would be the best choice.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Well for right now, im not looking for a new metal guitar. Im looking for something to play mostly hard rock on,velvet revolver, ozzy, queensryche..that kind of stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I had an Epi LP Custom in black. I've also got a Jay Turser LP Studio ripoff in a deep red. The JT plays and sounds better.

The conclusion: Get an ESP.
Quote by dcdossett65
Well for right now, im not looking for a new metal guitar. Im looking for something to play mostly hard rock on,velvet revolver, ozzy, queensryche..that kind of stuff.

Well, here it comes down to preference.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518403

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Eclipse-II-Flame-Maple-Vintage-Honey-Burst-Electric-Guitar?sku=515957
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by georgethepie
You already have a ltd so if you get another you might feel unsatified.

The Eclipse is an ESP, not an LTD.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by georgethepie
You already have a ltd so if you get another you might feel unsatified.

Well i'm also considering selling the alexi. The guitar itself is great and it plays pretty damn good. The quality and comfort bother me though. People underrate the guitar a little too much imo, but now im starting to see where they are coming from.

So now i think it is in between the Elitist and ESP Eclipse. I like the eclipse because from what i have read so far, it has a faster neck, and the thing looks amazing. However, the elitist would get me that awesome tone. Im just digging myself into a hole on this one.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Ippon

MIJ Epi Custom Elite

I have never seen an epi headstock like that. Or an elitist for that matter. What the hell?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65

Yes the Elitist series guitars are supposed to be great, almost up to par with the mid range Gibsons. Definitely better than the studio and low range Gibson.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^ Seriously you don't know how much I want one of those Japanese LP's.

Just need them moneeeeeyyyyy......
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I played an Eclipse yesterday, and it actually sounded really good. Great neck too. Haven't played the Epi though.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
I think i will go to american music one of these days(long standing hate for GC) and try the ESP. Does GC generally keep and elitists in stock?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I think i will go to american music one of these days(long standing hate for GC) and try the ESP. Does GC generally keep and elitists in stock?

Some GCs in the NorCal Bay Area have MIJ Epis. The ESPs are awesome, too. It's all preference. Good Luck with your hunt.

Basically as far as Gibson/Epi LPs go, Elitists are the second best you can buy...

Gibson Custom Shops are the very top. Period.

Epiphone Elitists are from a technical level, superior to Gibson's production guitars. The downsides though is they may not suit your personal preferences as much; they come with less neck profile options(in fact, Epi only have one neck profile; Gibson have three to choose from), they have less finish options, and they have less pickup options.

Gibson high and mid-range productions are the next line down.

Then you get your high-end Epi's; this typically means their signature models.

Next comes the low-end Gibsons. From a technical point, they're not better than the mid-range Epiphones but at least with the Gibsons, you get more choice.

Then mid-range Epi's (Standard, Custom, Ultra II, etc), then finally of course, the lower-end Epi's.

Generally speaking, it's worth spending the extra on an Epi Elitist, so long as you can put up with it's restrictions (i.e. only the one neck profile, less finish options). That said, if you get one of the high-end Gibson production models (Classic Custom or Supreme), then you're then about on-par with the Elitist (the downside is, those high-end production Gibsons can cost more than the Elitist).

Of course, you could always then go that bit further than the Elitist, and get a Gibson Custom Shop...

I should also point out, this is just from a technical level. I'm not putting into account what suits certain playing styles or genres, I'm not taking into account what kind of tone you prefer (for the record, Gibsons have a brighter tone, Epi have a darker tone), and this is just about the two brand's Les Paul models - their SGs are a different case, and the archtops even more so.

EDIT: and for what it's worth, ESP's LPs are just as good as the Gibsons and Epiphones they are the price equivilent of. I.e. a £1000 ESP is just as good as a £1000 Gibson, a £500 ESP is as good as a £500 Epi, a £4000 ESP Custom Shop is just as good as a £4000 Gibson Custom Shop. You can't go wrong with any of the three brands really.
^ Awesome post man, helps alot. It looks like im gonna have to try all of these to see what i liek the best. Dont know how ill get my hands on an elitist to try one though, i live in seattle.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412