I was thinking of modding my old squire strat and maybe sanding the paint off then taking out all of its electronics and turning it into an HSH pickup type of guitar. Will it sound bad even if the body wood may either be agathis or alder? (have no idea) If it would still sound good would it be wise to change the neck and the bridge? So basically would this guitar be good even with its squire body?
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by Tarts42
I was thinking of modding my old squire strat and maybe sanding the paint off then taking out all of its electronics and turning it into an HSH pickup type of guitar. Will it sound bad even if the body wood may either be agathis or alder? (have no idea) If it would still sound good would it be wise to change the neck and the bridge? So basically would this guitar be good even with its squire body?

Electronics and PU upgrades will definitely help.

Next, I'd replace the cheap plastic nut to Bone or something better.

The bridge's trem block on the latest Squiers are pretty puny. You can do better with a Wilkinson 6-screw vintage bridge, except you'll have to fill and re-drill holes.

The necks on most Squiers are slimmer than the Fenders and a lot of modders prefer those. Unless it's whacked, why replace? You can refinish it with Tung Oil, re-dress the frets, etc. and you should be fine.

Upgrades will definitely bring it to a better level and most important, you'll learn stuff while having fun. What about refinishing?

Honestly, if the rest of your components are good, the wood isn't going to make that much of a difference. It's like the people who think that having your paint a 128th of an inch too thick will ruin your tone... ridiculous.

I say go for it, you will have fun and probably end up with a better guitar than when you started. If you do it right, it will be a way better guitar than when you started.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Tarts42
I was thinking of modding my old squire strat and maybe sanding the paint off
Removing all the paint is usually more work than necessary. It's unlikely that you'll have wood worthy of a natural finish. But if you take it down to bare wood, you'll have to seal the grain. Why go through all of that? Just remove any wax and scuff the surface with 400grit paper. That's all you need to do to prep it for new paint.

Quote by Tarts42
then taking out all of its electronics and turning it into an HSH pickup type of guitar.
You won't know how it's routed until you take the pickguard off. It may be routed for 3 singles, or for HSS, or for HSH, or with a big swimming pool. If your is routed for 3 singles, you'll need to do some router work. Do you have a router? Do you know how to use one?

Quote by Tarts42
Will it sound bad even if the body wood may either be agathis or alder? (have no idea)
No. There are plenty of good sounding guitars that are have agathis or alder bodies.

Quote by Tarts42
If it would still sound good would it be wise to change the neck and the bridge?
Bridge - possibly. Neck - absolutely not. Necks are expensive. If your neck can be improved by fret leveling/dressing/trussrod adjustment, that's fine. If it has bad problems, just start with a different guitar.

Quote by Tarts42
So basically would this guitar be good even with its squire body?
The hardware and setup are far more important than the
type of wood in the body. You can turn a Squire into a good playing, good sounding instrument with a small investment in parts and a large investment in time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.