Poll: Which amp for pop punk?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp for pop punk?
Laney LC15
2 10%
Laney VC15
5 24%
Orange Tiny Terror combo
14 67%
Voters: 21.
Which of these amps should I get?
I play pop punk music, bands like paramore,
new found glory, the audition, four year strong etc.

Also, a question about tube amps.

If a tube amp doesn't have a standby switch, to let the tubes warm up do you just switch it on, leave it for a few minutes then play, just like you would with standby?
Last edited by doubtfull at Apr 21, 2008,
I see no amps...

Nevermind, now i c. Stupid computer didn't load it.

The TT.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 20, 2008,
^See above post.

I say go with the orange.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
+1 on the Orange, just because I haven't tried a Laney. They're so expensive here in the states.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Laney VC.
The TT is too dark really for pop punk imo.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Laney VC.
The TT is too dark really for pop punk imo.

+1. Not at all suited for those styles. The VC over the LC because of the 12" speaker, etc etc.

I suspect you'll get a lot of lemmings in here shouting that the orange is "FTW" or some such nonsense- I'm sure the poll results will also match this, as people will stick their heads in, vote orange like they always do, and then leave. The orange is a good amp, but it's voiced completely wrong for pop/punk. The laney is absolutely suited for it.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 21, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
+1. Not at all suited for those styles. The VC over the LC because of the 12" speaker, etc etc.

I suspect you'll get a lot of lemmings in here shouting that the orange is "FTW" or some such nonsense- I'm sure the poll results will also match this, as people will stick their heads in, vote orange like they always do, and then leave. The orange is a good amp, but it's voiced completely wrong for pop/punk. The laney is absolutely suited for it.

The VC has a 10'' speaker
oops, I was thinking of the VC30. Surely a used one of those is within the same price range as the TT and a cab, though.
I dunno, I think an LC30-II would be better for Pop-punk, my VC doesn't really have the edge, even with a TubeScreamer
Quote by Horlicks
I dunno, I think an LC30-II would be better for Pop-punk, my VC doesn't really have the edge, even with a TubeScreamer

What's the difference (apart from wattage) ?
Quote by Horlicks
It has a more modern voicing, the VC30 basically sounds like a british voxy amp and the the LC30 has a more american gain

Damn, there was an LC on ebay last night and just as I was entering my bid, it ended and it went for £77 :|

oops, I actually meant what's the difference between an LC15 and an LC30-II apart from wattage, sorry.
Last edited by doubtfull at Apr 21, 2008,
Do you think I'd be ok with an LC15? I dont play gigs or anything, mainly playing guitar in my room.
It depends if you want to invest int he extra features, 12'' Speaker, Independent Eq. I'd prefer the LC30 any day
Quote by Horlicks
It depends if you want to invest int he extra features, 12'' Speaker, Independent Eq. I'd prefer the LC30 any day

I thought about getting the LC30 for that but wouldn't 30 watts of tube be too loud for bedroom practice anyway?
^ Not really unless you like to crank up to 4 or so. Laney's are known for being quieter amps compared to their wattage
Quote by Horlicks
^ Not really unless you like to crank up to 4 or so. Laney's are known for being quieter amps compared to their wattage

How loud are LC15s compared to SS amps? Are they louder than 30 watt SS?