OK so I've got a Marshall MGDFX 250 and a Scheter C-1 Hellraiser. I play metal, and I love my guitar but the amp(many hate it as I do) just doesn't pack the punch I need. I'd love to just scrap the amp and get a Dual Rectifier but I just don't have the money for it.

Soooo, I've read things about people using the Metal Zone pedal to satisfy their high gain needs, but they've all been vague as to how they use it. People have told me not to use a distortion pedal with the overdrive channel on but does it really sound that bad? Also, there's a FX input in the back of my amp, so should I use this or just plug my guitar into the pedal and the pedal into the amp?
Distortion in loop is not recommended. Just put it in front of the amp.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
Distortion in loop is not recommended. Just put it in front of the amp.

Yes. And don't bother using it on top of the overdrive channel, it's a recipe for lousy tone and nightmarish feedback.
Umm may I say right now NO METAL ZONE. Seriously, that pedal sucks. I've had it and its quite useless. I play metal too through a hellraiser and then through a peavy amp and it makes the sound just too harsh. Usually guitar into pedal then pedal into amp is how its done. Uless sometimes using with other effects.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Digitech Death Metal. Dirt Cheap for what it does. Gain, Low, Middle and Treble knobs. it's all you need
I feel so gay using a distortion pedal through an amp that has a OD channel. The amp used to be perfect for the stuff I played but now I only play metal and like I said the MG just doesn't cut it.

I'm not necessarily set on the Metal Zone, I just heard suggestions for it. Are there any other pedals that you all would suggest...I want a TON of gain and one that will allow me to get really good pinch harmonics.
Quote by zhunt1130
I feel so gay using a distortion pedal through an amp that has a OD channel. The amp used to be perfect for the stuff I played but now I only play metal and like I said the MG just doesn't cut it.

I'm not necessarily set on the Metal Zone, I just heard suggestions for it. Are there any other pedals that you all would suggest...I want a TON of gain and one that will allow me to get really good pinch harmonics.

The Metal Muff's probably the best of the non- boutique distortion pedals for metal.
Flame Shield UP!
I suggest Line 6 Uber Metal.

i have an MG100HDFX, and the overdrive channel sucks balls, It does Green Day, but nothing heavier. I always used the amp with a Death Metal, on clean channel, it was great for the price.
I just realized my little Line 6 Spider III has an output jack. I like the insane channel on it, could just use it like a pedal and plug the output into my Marshall?
Quote by zhunt1130
I just realized my little Line 6 Spider III has an output jack. I like the insane channel on it, could just use it like a pedal and plug the output into my Marshall?

bad idea. why not sell both and buy a new amp?
I don't see any point in buying another amp that's just going to buy me time. I want a Dual Rect but I can't afford it, and still probably wouldn't be able to if I sold both the ones I have now.

To answer the other question, my Line 6 is only 15 watts and my band is going to start playing shows this summer, so it's nowhere near big enough.
Also any Korg Tonework Multi-effects pedal is wonerful. It is not expensive and sounds really true to the guitar and isn't digital at any rate. I recommend the AX1500G or AX3000G.

Quote by zhunt1130
I don't see any point in buying another amp that's just going to buy me time. I want a Dual Rect but I can't afford it, and still probably wouldn't be able to if I sold both the ones I have now.

Your tone's going to be awful with the pedal through the MG, though. Exactly how much money DO you have, and why you are so set on a duel recto? There are ENGL's for cheaper that sound just as good, arguably better.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your tone's going to be awful with the pedal through the MG, though. Exactly how much money DO you have, and why you are so set on a duel recto? There are ENGL's for cheaper that sound just as good, arguably better.

I found an ENGL lover!!!!!!!

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

$1,000 is about the most I could manage for both the head and cab. I haven't played an ENGL only b/c nobody sells them around me. The recto is the only amp that's sold here that's worth a crap, and I like them a lot.
Quote by zhunt1130
$1,000 is about the most I could manage for both the head and cab. I haven't played an ENGL only b/c nobody sells them around me. The recto is the only amp that's sold here that's worth a crap, and I like them a lot.

You don't need a head + cab. Really.

In that price range, you can get a used 5150 or ENGL Screamer, or a new ENGL Thunder combo.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
You don't need a head + cab. Really.

In that price range, you can get a used 5150 or ENGL Screamer, or a new ENGL Thunder combo.

Are they all tube amps? I'm done with solid state, all it does is disappoint me.
Quote by zhunt1130
Are they all tube amps? I'm done with solid state, all it does is disappoint me.

Yep. The ENGL's have pretty nice cleans as well as br00talz, while the 5150 has great high- gain but pretty dismal cleans.
I tried using my Line 6 through the Marshall, and it wasn't too bad. It gave me the brutal distortion from the line 6 through the 100watt power from the marshall, so they definitely sound better together than apart but its still just a digital distortion.

2 questions now:

1. Where are ENGLs sold?
2. Are there pedals out there that aren't digital?
Quote by zhunt1130
I tried using my Line 6 through the Marshall, and it wasn't too bad. It gave me the brutal distortion from the line 6 through the 100watt power from the marshall, so they definitely sound better together than apart but its still just a digital distortion.

2 questions now:

1. Where are ENGLs sold?
2. Are there pedals out there that aren't digital?

1. Guitar Centers sometimes sell ENGL's, not sure if they'd be in stock at your local one.
2. They exist, but they're not necessarilly better than their digital counterparts. Here's an example:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=159

Never tried it, though.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
1. Guitar Centers are ENGL dealers, not sure if they'd be in stock at your local one.
2. They exist, but they're not necessarilly better than their digital counterparts. Here's an example:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=159

Never tried it, though.

Go figure my GC doesn't carry them, or at least that I've noticed. Guess I'll just have to start playing around with stuff and see what fits me the best. Does ENGL have another name they're not showing up on GC's website.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Apr 20, 2008,
Try a Damage Control Solid Metal. I have one and it can give me most of the tones that I want.
Quote by zhunt1130
Go figure my GC doesn't carry them, or at least that I've noticed. Guess I'll just have to start playing around with stuff and see what fits me the best.

I guarantee you that any ENGL will absolutely blow away your MG's tone in every department. If you're deciding between buying a pedal or buying an ENGL blind, I'd buy the ENGL.

EDIT: About GC being ENGL dealers, it appears I was mistaken, ENGL's website doesn't mention anything either. You can get them off Musiciansfriend, though.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I guarantee you that any ENGL will absolutely blow away your MG's tone in every department. If you're deciding between buying a pedal or buying an ENGL blind, I'd buy the ENGL.

Ok cool, I'll have to look into them, thanks for the help.