I was wandering what the next lower tuning would be for 6 string guitars, with a dropped lowest string for one finger power chords.

i.e

Drop A- A E A D F# B. would it be Drop G? G D G C E A or something like that.

Also can you drop the 7th string on the 7 string guitar for one finger power chords.

i.e

A E A D G B E.

Why would you put your guitar in dropped G?
Quote by MetalMusicGod

A E A D G B E.

I was thinking about this recently. I always wondered why people don't usually use this tuning.
Quote by imgooley

I love low tunings, the lower the better. I play Bass aswell, so bass(ish) tunings with an Electric Guitar is like knobbing two birds with one johnny.
Quote by FLUX_
I was thinking about this recently. I always wondered why people don't usually use this tuning.

There are more than a few bands that play in drop-A.
Quote by MetalMusicGod
I was wandering what the next lower tuning would be for 6 string guitars, with a dropped lowest string for one finger power chords.

i.e

Drop A- A E A D F# B. would it be Drop G? G D G C E A or something like that.

It would just one half step down

ie One step lower than Drop A would be Drop Ab- Ab Eb Ab Db F Bb (can also be called drop G#)
Quote by FLUX_

Check out Citizens erased by Muse he uses a 7 string with this tuning, so awesome!
dont, it sounds ****ing terrible.... just.... dont
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Then it would be F-C-G#-D#-A#-F and optional 7th string tuning of A#, I think.
That's next lowest.
I could go on if you like, but.. I think at this point the strings are falling off the guitar unless you're using a baritone, lol.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by FLUX_

people do, i do sometimes, its just easier to tune it AADGBe, as for songs in it,
the only band that i know of that tunes that low is thrice,
the messenger,
firebreather,
the flame deluge,
and the earth will shake,
all in A using either extended range guitars. or really really really heavy gaudge strings.
yes... you can tune a 7 down just like any six. if you drop the low B down to an A, you can bar all the low strings to simplify powerchords.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Quote by imgooley

Because he wants to.

Quote by spiderjerusalem
dont, it sounds ****ing terrible.... just.... dont

No one cares what you think.

TS, I suggest you go into Guitar Pro/Power Tab, and you can see all the lower tunings by cunningly clicking on arrows.
Quote by MetalMusicGod
I love low tunings, the lower the better. I play Bass aswell, so bass(ish) tunings with an Electric Guitar is like knobbing two birds with one johnny.

Yeah, but you would need like a 62 just to make any decent sound come out. If you have anything less than a 56, it doesn't even seem like it would stay on the nut.
i use 12, 16, 20, 30, 40, 62 for Drop-A. Ernie Ball's go up to 70. So theres plenty of room to get the right tension needed
Besides guys, if Meshuggah can pull off occasional drop E on an 8 string and SYL can use Open C with a 7th string low G, remind yourselves that it's possibly to actually use them tastefully.
Quote by MetalMusicGod
i use 12, 16, 20, 30, 40, 62 for Drop-A. Ernie Ball's go up to 70. So theres plenty of room to get the right tension needed

That makes sense then. That must sound heavy as hell too. Do you write your own riffs? Personally I never go lower than dropped C every now and then, but I us 11-54.
They sound so great with slow heavy palm muting. i turn my amp up, it tickles my feet.

I put my amp settings on bass 9, middle 3, treble 10, and it sounds so heavy when you play slow, and so responsive when going fast.

i do write my own riffs, i'm more of a rythem player. my fingers dont move fast enough to play lead, so i rarely use the 3 highest strings.
Quote by MetalMusicGod

I put my amp settings on bass 9, middle 3, treble 10, and it sounds so heavy when you play slow, and so responsive when going fast.

Man... if you ever play in a band your never going to get heard with those settings. Don't scoop your mids.
Last edited by Crabs111 at Apr 20, 2008,
Drop-A to me sounds rather muddy, but that may be because of my really really ****ty stock pups. I prefer Drop-A#, but it would be an ass to tune my 7 for that
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Deftones play in G, G#, and A. and like every other tuning. lol - carpenter is insane.

and yeah, a 7 string can be tuned down to A for deathly results! think Korn.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop