Ok, so my grandfather had a stack of firewood with some pieces of untreated pine in there and I decided that I wanted to build a guitar with some of the extra parts I have lying around.

I'm doing this with handtools and I had no camera with me.

Its a two piece body, one humbucker, straight to output jack (light, no nonsense guitar), 24 fret rosewood neck from my first guitar (piece of plywood I tossed long ago), and for the bridge a strat style trem that had the bar broken off that I'm modding and using for a hardtail. I'm making a belly cut and arm contour as well as that little cut that some guitars have by the horn cutaway. Its going to be thin, light, and comfortable...and hopefully not sound like crap.

So, my project for this weekend was tracing the template (traced my strat and modded the shape to a tele...suprisingly similar) and chiseling out the neck pocket (pain in the ass to get level).

So my questions are....

1) how ****ty is this going to sound? I've seen the Arlo west vids and I must say, it sounds good.

2) How should I finish it (I want to either do natural or two tone burst) but how should I seal it? I've heard sap is a problem in the long term, not to mention it dents easy.
Last edited by livrockdie at Apr 20, 2008,
Quote by livrockdie
Ok, so my grandfather had a stack of firewood with some pieces of untreated pine in there and I decided that I wanted to build a guitar with some of the extra parts I have lying around.

I'm doing this with handtools and I had no camera with me.

Its a two piece body, one humbucker, straight to output jack (light, no nonsense guitar), 24 fret rosewood neck from my first guitar (piece of plywood I tossed long ago), and for the bridge a strat style trem that had the bar broken off that I'm modding and using for a hardtail. I'm making a belly cut and arm contour as well as that little cut that some guitars have by the horn cutaway. Its going to be thin, light, and comfortable...and hopefully not sound like crap.

So, my project for this weekend was tracing the template (traced my strat and modded the shape to a tele...suprisingly similar) and chiseling out the neck pocket (pain in the ass to get level).

So my questions are....

1) how ****ty is this going to sound? I've seen the Arlo west vids and I must say, it sounds good.

2) How should I finish it (I want to either do natural or two tone burst) but how should I seal it? I've heard sap is a problem in the long term, not to mention it dents easy.

There's a whole army of PineCaster Tele freaks in the Tele Forum ... yea, the one where Arlo posts a lot. They won't sound ****ty if you get it right.

Natural, 2T SunBurst, ButterScotch Blonde, Transparent Vintage White ... so many options.

Good Luck!

I want to do a two tone tobbaco burst. My question is what should I use clearcoat or shellac. I looked over the tele forums but didnt want to make an account.
I've seen builds there where they used Acrylic, Nitro, Shellac, and the new MinWax Water-based Poly.

Also, consider the Deft Nitro spray available from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. ... such a bargain at $4/can. Compare this to what StewMac and ReRanch are charging.

so how hard would it be to make a set neck? I know its not much of an advantage but the wood is kinda thin so I'll either have to shorten the screws or do this. Plus with a set neck I could make the heel more comfortable. So how should I go about doing it?