im not even sure what exactly i plan to build, most likely something with a v-style body.
would it be possible to build a nice guitar for under, say, $600?
also, what suppliers are reliable to order from?
any guidance will be much appreciated
Under $600? Hells yes. For a list good suppliers, I shall need to know where you live (just the country, I'm not a stalker lol).
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
OK! That makes things very easy in terms of who to buy from, and keeps shipping costs down.

I shall also need to know:

1: Do want to build this all from scratch, or get a pre made neck and body?

2: How do you want to finish it?

3: What kind of bridge?

4: Do you own a book about this, such as Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock. If you don't, you should.

5: Big city or small town? If you live in a big place like... New York or something... chances are you can find what you need locally. If you live in the middle of bum**** Iowa, then you need to get this stuff over the internet.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
OK! That makes things very easy in terms of who to buy from, and keeps shipping costs down.

I shall also need to know:

1: Do want to build this all from scratch, or get a pre made neck and body?

2: How do you want to finish it?

3: What kind of bridge?

4: Do you own a book about this, such as Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock. If you don't, you should.

5: Big city or small town? If you live in a big place like... New York or something... chances are you can find what you need locally. If you live in the middle of bum**** Iowa, then you need to get this stuff over the internet.

1. i plan to get a pre-made body and neck. i am very lacking in woodworking skills

2. simple gloss fuinish most likely. transparent if i can get my hands on a body with a qulit top...

3. string through

4. no. i can obtain one easily though

5. somewhat big city. (virginia beach)
OK cool. then I think we at UG can point you in the right direction.

Are you dead set on a V style? I don't know where to get prefab V's inexpensively, but someone here might.

for all of your equipment and necks and finishes, check out

www.stewmac.com

for less money, and often lower quality, check out

www.guitarfetish.com

for ridiculously expensive bodies and necks, check out

www.warmoth.com (V bodies start at $190, necks start at $173)

for finishes, check out your local hardware store. Get lacquer paints, by duplicolour or rust-oleum or something.

If you have any questions about finishing, check out the stickied "Ultimate Refinishing Thread" in this forum. If you have any other questions, post them and we will try to answer.
Good luck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Apr 20, 2008,
welcome
if your budget is $600 you can allocate a lot of that to the body and neck, you may want to consider warmoth.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Any neck you buy premade will have a perfectly suitable wood. Common ones are maple (white-blonde colour) rosewood (dark brown) and ebony (black).
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by shameonthenight
alright...
im still in the dark about what type of wood is best for the fingerboard
any suggestions?

Well, what sound are you looking for? Very bright, go with ebony. Warm, go with rosewood. middle of the road, go with Maple (needs to get finished however).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.