i like playing kind of gritty electric blues like early black keys stuff, any recommendations on a guitar that would suit that style of music? thanks

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
haha strat all the way.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Well, Dan uses old Harmonies, a lawsuit Ibanez SG, and a Telecaster with humbuckers in it. I would recommend an Ibanez Semi-hollow. Of the models that are in production right now, I would recommend the AG series.
Quote by Lamrick21
haha strat all the way.

Do you even know who the Black Keys are?
Quote by imgooley
Do you even know who the Black Keys are?

im vaugely(sp?) because a friend listens to them, and 100% sure a strat can handle that stuff.

strat + big muff will give their basic sound
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by Lamrick21
im vaugely(sp?) because a friend listens to them, and 100% sure a strat can handle that stuff.

Single coils are too bright for that style of garage rock. I sometimes play it on my 'strat' and it sounds thin. To get that sound, you need humbuckers, and it sounds 100% better through a Semi-hollow. A strat is not even close to the sound he is looking for.

A Deluxe Telecaster, on the other hand, would work.

Yeah, and I have a Big Muff too, so no to the strat.
Wait, what kind of amp are you using?
thanks for all the replies and i'm using a kustom '36 coupe though this summer i'm going to try to pretty much overhaul my whole setup
edit: also, any idea around how much an ibanez hollow body would run me?

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Last edited by GnikNus at Apr 20, 2008,
I got mine used for $279. The AG series is about the same price, but I made a mistake in saying it's a semi hollow, it's full hollow. The AS and the AJD and also the AM series are the semis that are still in production. I don't care for the AS that much, but you might like it so check it out.

You can also find used ones for cheap. Look for the AXD series. They are all between 250 and 500 dollars used. Around 325-600 new.
thanks a lot man. i'll check those out

Quote by wilty00
No problem. Also look into an Epiphone Sheraton II, they nail that sound you are looking for pretty good to. And grab a Muff too.
Save youself the money and get a Double Muff - it's way better thann the Big Muff, never mind being cheaper too.

Guitar wise, a Strat IS fine, or a Tele, or just about anything, but you'd probably be best with something that has good sustain.

What amp are you using? Tube is the way my an, as that tone can't be replicated with an SS.

Learn some slide too!
Quote by greggybhoy
Save youself the money and get a Double Muff - it's way better thann the Big Muff, never mind being cheaper too.

Guitar wise, a Strat IS fine, or a Tele, or just about anything, but you'd probably be best with something that has good sustain.

What amp are you using? Tube is the way my an, as that tone can't be replicated with an SS.

Learn some slide too!

He has a Kustom all tube amp.

And I disagree with the use of singles for that thick tone. They are way to bright and thin for that kind of tone. The only Fender I would recommend for that style of Garage Blues/Rock is one that has at least one humbucker, like the 72 reissue tele.
Quote by greggybhoy

Learn some slide too!

As far as I know, though, the Double Muff isn't even really a Big Muff. It's just two of the earlier Muff Fuzz effects slaved together in a single box, correct?

That said, a Muff Fuzz could work for what he's after.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I don't support the double muff. It has always sounded lackluster to me. Try it against a Big Muff before you buy.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
People don't know how to eq a strat if they think they are too bright. I can play some of the heaviest bottom rattling stuff out there with my hollow classic and my fender. I have the 72 custom and that is higher endy than either of the strats.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
yeah, definitely getting a big muff, my birthdays in 39 days so i'll be looking around for a guitar then

Quote by wilty00
If he's looking for grit, I would think some sort of Fuzz Face would suit him better....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
For a guitar, a les paul or prs would be good, if your looking for the tone I think your looking for.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^Basically, any guitar with vintagey humbuckers will work.

Quote by Wulver
If he's looking for grit, I would think some sort of Fuzz Face would suit him better....

Dan Auerbach, the dude he referenced in the OP, uses a Russian Muff. I would definitely recommend the Big Muff over the Fuzz Face any day of the week.
Well, I suppose he'd best get a Russian Muff as well, then. I hear the American reissues aren't quite as good as the Sovteks.....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay